Lushydushy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So heres the sitch guys
I have been contemplating on whether i should get a new phone or a new laptop. I have a laptop but its waaay to slow and it makes an annoying sound.

I have no phone atm because i sold it so save up money for a new phone. But instead i wanted to buy a new laptop. However laptops between the prices £220-£399 have quite loud fans which is one of my pet peeves. And I needed a laptop that was compatible with playing the sims 4 on it (which is free rn on origin)

So what id like to know if whether y’all would think its best to buy a new phone now and wait and save money for the laptop or I should get the laptop now and download the sims ?

Bit of a silly question but its kinda bothering me
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What laptop have you got at the moment? And what are the exact specs? Do you know how to find the exact specs? Google's your friend if you don't, or if you give us a clue as to the make and model or operating system I should be able to tell you what buttons to press.

Would you be up for upgrading one or 2 parts on your laptop or reinstalling your operating system and applications?

Depending on the model and state of the laptop you have, there might be ways to get it to run cooler and therefore quieter without spending any money.

There are plenty of used laptops between £220 and £399 that have inaudible fans. But then before going down that route, I think it's well worth exploring if your existing laptop can be given a new lease of life.

It'd be nice to let you have your cake and to eat it. To get your laptop up to speed and down in sound as well as getting you a new phone without spending more than £250 all in.
Lushydushy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
What laptop have you got at the moment? And what are the exact specs? Do you know how to find the exact specs? Google's your friend if you don't, or if you give us a clue as to the make and model or operating system I should be able to tell you what buttons to press.

Would you be up for upgrading one or 2 parts on your laptop or reinstalling your operating system and applications?

Depending on the model and state of the laptop you have, there might be ways to get it to run cooler and therefore quieter without spending any money.

There are plenty of used laptops between £220 and £399 that have inaudible fans. But then before going down that route, I think it's well worth exploring if your existing laptop can be given a new lease of life.

It'd be nice to let you have your cake and to eat it. To get your laptop up to speed and down in sound as well as getting you a new phone without spending more than £250 all in.
Thank you for the reply

The laptop that i currently have is HP Pavilion X360 red Beats Audio hybrid laptop, it is a few years old ( probably got it in 2015) and has a small screen. It is a bit slow (with videos and loading) and its processor speed is 2.13 GHz, and the processor type is intel celeron N2820.

Now that I’m taking a gap year before uni, Id like to have a portable laptop that has a nicely sized screen and a quiet fan/inaudible fan.

I have been looking at the lenovo ideapad 330s which uses AMD ryzen 3 and has a big screen and 1TB HDD storage. But I’m not really educated in understanding the specs.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's probably not worth spending any money on your HP Pavilion as you can get faster laptops than yours for free.

As an aside, as a point of interest, my 2011 HP 8440p is considerably faster than your 2015 vintage Pavilion. Sometimes it's not the age that counts with laptops. It's other things.

Laptops are a somewhat personal choice. My personal preference is for business laptops. I find consumer grade laptops to be too annoyingly under-engineered. With noisy cooling fans being one example of under engineering. Really nasty hard plasticky keyboards are another. I also prefer buying used, or getting laptops for free - for self evident financial reasons.

What would you prefer, Lushdushy? A new consumer grade laptop or a used business machine? Or even a new business laptop? Or would you prefer an enthusiasts gaming laptop, and if so, new or used?

For storage, I'd strongly recommend an SSD hard drive over the mechanical 1 TB hard drives you'll get in the likes of Ideapad 330's. Mechanical hard drives are a horrible bottleneck for running Windows on.

You'd probably find a 15" laptop too big and slabby. A 13" or 14" sounds like it'd be a nice size for you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise