Can you resit the new A Levels twice?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
wazzasoft
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I managed to mess up A level OCR Physics A again. Am I or am I not allowed to resit it a second time? If not, is it only this specific course and exam board I'm not allowed to resit? Could I resit with a different exam board, or take OCR physics B instead, or are all A level physics courses off the table?

thanks
blue2019
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
depends on your sixth form if they don't allow you then you can resit it externally like just sit the exam in a exam center by paying them. you normally have to pay though. my teacher had resat one of her subject after her A levels externally and managed to get in to university and now she teaches the same subjects.
(Original post by wazzasoft)
So I managed to mess up A level OCR Physics A again. Am I or am I not allowed to resit it a second time? If not, is it only this specific course and exam board I'm not allowed to resit? Could I resit with a different exam board, or take OCR physics B instead, or are all A level physics courses off the table?

thanks
wazzasoft
Rep:
That's exactly what I'm doing now. The exams I'm doing now are resits, but since I messed up badly on paper two I'm wondering if I'm allowed to resit it a second time. I.e. if I sat the exam next year it would be my third time sitting the exam overall. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

(Original post by blue2019)
depends on your sixth form if they don't allow you then you can resit it externally like just sit the exam in a exam center by paying them. you normally have to pay though. my teacher had resat one of her subject after her A levels externally and managed to get in to university and now she teaches the same subjects.
blue2019
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
its fine you are able to many people resit their exams 3 or more times...it's completely fine..if this is your second year in sixth from then you might have to resit it externaly.
That's exactly what I'm doing now. The exams I'm doing now are resits, but since I messed up badly on paper two I'm wondering if I'm allowed to resit it a second time. I.e. if I sat the exam next year it would be my third time sitting the exam overall. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You can take A levels as often as yoiu want (or can afford to). There are no restrictions.
wazzasoft
Rep:
so it this article wrong when it says "Remember you can only resit your exams once."? I've seen maybe one other article say this but it isn't mentioned on many others.
(Original post by Compost)
You can take A levels as often as yoiu want (or can afford to). There are no restrictions.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
so it this article wrong when it says "Remember you can only resit your exams once."? I've seen maybe one other article say this but it isn't mentioned on many others.
It's the Daily Express and it was wrong when published and still wrong now. There are rules about limiting re-sits for some modular qualifications but for linear qualifications (which A levels in England currently are) there are no restrictions.
MissCarter786
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey there! I’m thinking of resitting my A level exam for OCR. Can you tell me a little about how you do it and what is required? Thank you x
wazzasoft
Rep:
Ah, thanks for clearing it up

(Original post by Compost)
It's the Daily Express and it was wrong when published and still wrong now. There are rules about limiting re-sits for some modular qualifications but for linear qualifications (which A levels in England currently are) there are no restrictions.
wazzasoft
Rep:
(Original post by MissCarter786)
Hey there! I’m thinking of resitting my A level exam for OCR. Can you tell me a little about how you do it and what is required? Thank you x
Well, for me personally, my sixth form doesn't allow for "year 14" students, so I had to do all the learning and revision at home - with occasional help from my former teachers via e-mail. I'm sitting my exams at the same school, but obviously I have to pay to sit the exams this time. I had to contact the exams office at the school informing them about my intention to resit and then I had to select and pay for the exams I wanted to redo. Your school/college might be different and allow you to be a "year 14" student, however.

If you also wanted to know about reapplying to UCAS, I contacted my head of sixth-form informing him of my attention to reapply. Then he said:
- log on to UCAS 2019
- register
- you need to apply through us - 'your school or college'
- our buzzword is "X"
- Then, please select 'Year 14' for your Form

Then I had to fill in the UCAS information basically the same as last time with a new personal statement and also the subjects that I was resitting, and the A level grades I got last time. My head of sixth-form let me decide what I wanted my predicted grades to be. I emailed universities that I was interested in applying to, inquiring about their policy in resit applicants. Basically, some don't discriminate, but some, like Bath, do discriminate but will still consider you. Though, I'm pretty sure most universities won't consider resit applicants who apply for medicine.
ERAF
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,Did you have to put both your physics a levels, for example the first and second grade you got as well as stating your predicted grades ?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ERAF)
Hi,Did you have to put both your physics a levels, for example the first and second grade you got as well as stating your predicted grades ?
The UCAS web site is very clear. If you retake any qualification you must enter the original result as well as the new or pending result in your UCAS application. Failure to do so could lead to your application being cancelled.
Last edited by gdunne42; 4 weeks ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.08%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (10)
10.42%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (4)
4.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.21%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.58%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.17%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads