The Student Room Group

Having had my heart set on medicine for so long but it can't happen anymore

I had my heart set on medicine since year 9 I was so convinced I will be a doctor for so long I got a good set of gcses now I am in year 13 and I won't sit my a level maths and chemistry as I was getting straight u's for the past 2 years and had no improvement I am only sitting my a level biology exam maybe I will get a B in it. I had offers from universities to study biology but now I will need to withdraw them.

My school suggested I do 2 different a levels in a year I was initially happy however now they said looking at time table the year 12 and 13 classes clash so I may need to go to a different sixth form or 1 a level in 1 year and do a 2nd one the year after in a different college but I don't want to spend 4 years doing a levels.

I have been trying to stay positive despite having treatment resistant depression for 2 years. But I am starting to feel very down I know I need to focus on my biology exam. I feel like nothing is working out for me. I am scared of going to a different sixth form as they won't know me and will be a new environment it doesn't help that I have autism

Scroll to see replies

Can you not take them as an external candidate or do the exams without school funding ?
Reply 2
Original post by Ray_Shadows
Can you not take them as an external candidate or do the exams without school funding ?

Cannot afford to.I felt out of my depth with chemistry and maths anyway I guess the depression doesn't help either.I always had a flair for essay subjects.In maths it was always war to get good grades.
Original post by Anonymous
I had my heart set on medicine since year 9 I was so convinced I will be a doctor for so long I got a good set of gcses now I am in year 13 and I won't sit my a level maths and chemistry as I was getting straight u's for the past 2 years and had no improvement I am only sitting my a level biology exam maybe I will get a B in it. I had offers from universities to study biology but now I will need to withdraw them.

My school suggested I do 2 different a levels in a year I was initially happy however now they said looking at time table the year 12 and 13 classes clash so I may need to go to a different sixth form or 1 a level in 1 year and do a 2nd one the year after in a different college but I don't want to spend 4 years doing a levels.

I have been trying to stay positive despite having treatment resistant depression for 2 years. But I am starting to feel very down I know I need to focus on my biology exam. I feel like nothing is working out for me. I am scared of going to a different sixth form as they won't know me and will be a new environment it doesn't help that I have autism

This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what. If you don't want to spend another 4 years doing A levels have you considered other possible routes into medicine? For example you could apply for a Biomedical Science degree and apply for post-graduate medicine afterwards?
Reply 4
Original post by Loreto2018
This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what. If you don't want to spend another 4 years doing A levels have you considered other possible routes into medicine? For example you could apply for a Biomedical Science degree and apply for post-graduate medicine afterwards?

I did consider alternate routes like boomed or biology but they all want biology and a 2nd science (physics, maths,chemistry) and some want biology with chemistry.
Reply 5
*biomed.
Have you thought about an access course for bio med then applying for graduate medicine after.
i am trying not to break no ones hope or ambition same like you i had ambition on becoming obstretician but i definitely is is impossible for me...i found something that really intrigued me which is linked with my first ambition...now i am trying my best to work towards it....my advice for you is to not lose hope but search for something kinda below the 'MEDICIENE' category such as nursing, midwifery, parademics something along those lines...again not trying to offend anyone just helping
no not really i am interested in helping women through pregnancy and child birth
oh alright cool cool
I looked at foundation medicine but I don't meet the requirements for any that I have looked at.I will just do my a level biology at the moment and see how well I do.I am hoping for an A but I don't want to expect too much of myself and then end up bitterly disappointed if I don't get an A.
Original post by agnes0912
Have you thought about an access course for bio med then applying for graduate medicine after.
I will just do my a level biology at the moment and see how well I do.I am hoping for an A but I don't want to expect too much of myself and then end up bitterly disappointed if I don't get an A.
Will do.I will try and do some biology questions for now to practice before exam.Thanks for your advice :smile:
Original post by Loreto2018
This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what.

Every dead body on Mount Everest was once a highly dedicated person.....

Not to sound harsh, but if you have been getting Us in your A-Levels, do you really think you will cope with a medical degree, especially when you are also struggling with mental health issues? Maybe right now is not the best time to be applying for medicine?
Everyone can dream and everyone can hope that things will improve if I didn't wake up everyday hoping that each day will be better I wouldn't be here anymore.
Original post by black tea
Not to sound harsh, but if you have been getting Us in your A-Levels, do you really think you will cope with a medical degree, especially when you are also struggling with mental health issues? Maybe right now is not the best time to be applying for medicine?
Everyone can dream and everyone can hope that things will improve if I didn't wake up everyday hoping that each day will be better I wouldn't be here anymore.

I get what black tea is saying. Do you feel like your mental health issues are holding you back from doing well in Chemistry and Maths, or could it be that those just aren't 'your subjects'? Everyone has subjects that they are weaker in (either due to lack of skill or interest), so it might be worth having a think about the subjects you know that you can excel in.

Can I ask what your motivation is for studying Medicine?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I get what black tea is saying. Do you feel like your mental health issues are holding you back from doing well in Chemistry and Maths, or could it be that those just aren't 'your subjects'? Everyone has subjects that they are weaker in (either due to lack of skill or interest), so it might be worth having a think about the subjects you know that you can excel in.

I always wanted to study it as I think I would genuinely enjoy the career and it seems incredibly rewarding and incredibly mentally stimulating.I like the patient contact and I find all the different illnesses etc very interesting I don't want to do research as I don't like experiments and don't find them very investing.I don't know if it is the lack of skill base or the lack of motivation due to depression.If I am honest chemistry wasn't very interesting at all and maths didn't make much sense to me (pure was not too bad but mechanics and statistics were a nightmare).I am trying to focus on my biology a level and see how that goes.I am trying not to plan for the future too much as it never proved very beneficial in my experience rather a waste of time to try and plan the future.I find it hard to let go and try and go with the flow.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
If I am honest chemistry wasn't very interesting at all and maths didn't make much sense to me (pure was not too bad but mechanics and statistics were a nightmare).

Okay, given that you have said the above, you might need to consider whether Medicine is for you. I personally don't know much about the chemistry and maths content of medicine degrees ( - your wisdom is needed!), but as they are generally required by most universities, I would imagine that there would be quite a bit. Do you really want to study something that contains topics that don't interest you?

There are other careers that explore diseases/conditions while also having patient contact, so you might want to do some research on those too, as one or more may complement your interests and skill set better.
not trying to interfere in any way i am literally like interested in mediciene but lost touch for science for gcse....as now i am doing foundtion it is how it is......mediciene has different aspects you can....lets hope you get the A's but if you dont then you have to research on something else
Original post by PhoenixFortune

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending