Having had my heart set on medicine for so long but it can't happen anymore Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I had my heart set on medicine since year 9 I was so convinced I will be a doctor for so long I got a good set of gcses now I am in year 13 and I won't sit my a level maths and chemistry as I was getting straight u's for the past 2 years and had no improvement I am only sitting my a level biology exam maybe I will get a B in it. I had offers from universities to study biology but now I will need to withdraw them.

My school suggested I do 2 different a levels in a year I was initially happy however now they said looking at time table the year 12 and 13 classes clash so I may need to go to a different sixth form or 1 a level in 1 year and do a 2nd one the year after in a different college but I don't want to spend 4 years doing a levels.

I have been trying to stay positive despite having treatment resistant depression for 2 years. But I am starting to feel very down I know I need to focus on my biology exam. I feel like nothing is working out for me. I am scared of going to a different sixth form as they won't know me and will be a new environment it doesn't help that I have autism
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you not take them as an external candidate or do the exams without school funding ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
Can you not take them as an external candidate or do the exams without school funding ?
Cannot afford to.I felt out of my depth with chemistry and maths anyway I guess the depression doesn't help either.I always had a flair for essay subjects.In maths it was always war to get good grades.
Loreto2018
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had my heart set on medicine since year 9 I was so convinced I will be a doctor for so long I got a good set of gcses now I am in year 13 and I won't sit my a level maths and chemistry as I was getting straight u's for the past 2 years and had no improvement I am only sitting my a level biology exam maybe I will get a B in it. I had offers from universities to study biology but now I will need to withdraw them.

My school suggested I do 2 different a levels in a year I was initially happy however now they said looking at time table the year 12 and 13 classes clash so I may need to go to a different sixth form or 1 a level in 1 year and do a 2nd one the year after in a different college but I don't want to spend 4 years doing a levels.

I have been trying to stay positive despite having treatment resistant depression for 2 years. But I am starting to feel very down I know I need to focus on my biology exam. I feel like nothing is working out for me. I am scared of going to a different sixth form as they won't know me and will be a new environment it doesn't help that I have autism
This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what. If you don't want to spend another 4 years doing A levels have you considered other possible routes into medicine? For example you could apply for a Biomedical Science degree and apply for post-graduate medicine afterwards?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Loreto2018)
This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what. If you don't want to spend another 4 years doing A levels have you considered other possible routes into medicine? For example you could apply for a Biomedical Science degree and apply for post-graduate medicine afterwards?
I did consider alternate routes like boomed or biology but they all want biology and a 2nd science (physics, maths,chemistry) and some want biology with chemistry.
Anonymous #1
*biomed.
agnes0912
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you thought about an access course for bio med then applying for graduate medicine after.
arieslover
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i am trying not to break no ones hope or ambition same like you i had ambition on becoming obstretician but i definitely is is impossible for me...i found something that really intrigued me which is linked with my first ambition...now i am trying my best to work towards it....my advice for you is to not lose hope but search for something kinda below the 'MEDICIENE' category such as nursing, midwifery, parademics something along those lines...again not trying to offend anyone just helping
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what....
I like your thinking, but a lot of people want to be premier league / champions league footballers, or world leaders, or world-famous celebrity. and how many actually achieve it? Just because you wanted to do it doesn't mean you definitely can. It's relatively easier becoming a doctor but one still needs to be realistic. False hope is the worst thing one can give, and there is a fine line between positive encouragement and false reassurance.

Your circumstances sound very similar to someone I recently advised on the Medicine forums. Aim for undergrad medicine if possible because (I already said) GEM is at least 2x more competitive. So see if you can apply to med schools that allow retakes. Don't do what you don't want to do.

(Original post by arieslover)
i am trying not to break no ones hope or ambition same like you i had ambition on becoming obstretician but i definitely is is impossible for me...i found something that really intrigued me which is linked with my first ambition...now i am trying my best to work towards it....my advice for you is to not lose hope but search for something kinda below the 'MEDICIENE' category such as nursing, midwifery, parademics something along those lines...again not trying to offend anyone just helping
I agree with this post, but obviously I wouldn't call allied health professionals "below" medicine - they are as important as us. Have you consider doing PA, OP?
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
arieslover
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no not really i am interested in helping women through pregnancy and child birth
(Original post by ecolier)
I like your thinking, but a lot of people want to be premier league / champions league footballers, or world leaders, or world-famous celebrity. and how many actually achieve it? Just because you wanted to do it doesn't mean you definitely can. It's relatively easier becoming a doctor but one still needs to be realistic. False hope is the worst thing one can give, and there is a fine line between positive encouragement and false reassurance.

Your circumstances sound very similar to someone I recently advised on the Medicine forums. Aim for undergrad medicine if possible because (I already said) GEM is at least 2x more competitive. So see if you can apply to med schools that allow retakes. Don't do what you don't want to do.

I agree with this post, but obviously I wouldn't call allied health professionals "below" medicine - they are as important as us. Have you consider doing PA, OP?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by arieslover)
no not really i am interested in helping women through pregnancy and child birth
Sure, but I was asking OP (original poster) and not you! PAs can do obs and gynae stuff though.
arieslover
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh alright cool cool
Sure, but I was asking OP (original poster) and not you! PAs can do obs and gynae stuff though.
Anonymous #1
I looked at foundation medicine but I don't meet the requirements for any that I have looked at.I will just do my a level biology at the moment and see how well I do.I am hoping for an A but I don't want to expect too much of myself and then end up bitterly disappointed if I don't get an A.
(Original post by agnes0912)
Have you thought about an access course for bio med then applying for graduate medicine after.
Anonymous #1

I will just do my a level biology at the moment and see how well I do.I am hoping for an A but I don't want to expect too much of myself and then end up bitterly disappointed if I don't get an A.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will just do my a level biology at the moment and see how well I do.I am hoping for an A but I don't want to expect too much of myself and then end up bitterly disappointed if I don't get an A.
Let us know what happens please.

:goodluck:
Anonymous #1
Let us know what happens please.

:goodluck:
Will do.I will try and do some biology questions for now to practice before exam.Thanks for your advice
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This will probably sound very cliche but if you have your heart set on something you can achieve it no matter what.
Every dead body on Mount Everest was once a highly dedicated person.....
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Not to sound harsh, but if you have been getting Us in your A-Levels, do you really think you will cope with a medical degree, especially when you are also struggling with mental health issues? Maybe right now is not the best time to be applying for medicine?
Anonymous #1
Everyone can dream and everyone can hope that things will improve if I didn't wake up everyday hoping that each day will be better I wouldn't be here anymore.
(Original post by black tea)
Not to sound harsh, but if you have been getting Us in your A-Levels, do you really think you will cope with a medical degree, especially when you are also struggling with mental health issues? Maybe right now is not the best time to be applying for medicine?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Everyone can dream and everyone can hope that things will improve if I didn't wake up everyday hoping that each day will be better I wouldn't be here anymore.
I get what black tea is saying. Do you feel like your mental health issues are holding you back from doing well in Chemistry and Maths, or could it be that those just aren't 'your subjects'? Everyone has subjects that they are weaker in (either due to lack of skill or interest), so it might be worth having a think about the subjects you know that you can excel in.

Can I ask what your motivation is for studying Medicine?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (59)
22.1%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (91)
34.08%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (57)
21.35%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (25)
9.36%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (35)
13.11%

Watched Threads