The Student Room Group

pgce without qts

Hi All, I am a resident of India and have been offered a place on a PGCE in Secondary Mathematics however it does not award me a QTS upon successful completion. I just dont know what to do, some of my friends in UK told me that I may not be able to find a job/sponsor without attaining a QTS although my university tells me that i can possibly work in independent private schools, or correctional facilities. I just dont want to have to return to india immediately after completing my pgce, would like to get some experience there and earl oney to repay my educational loan....besides i am not sure if an employer will sponsor my work perit without a qts...any suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by rishab_uk
Hi All, I am a resident of India and have been offered a place on a PGCE in Secondary Mathematics however it does not award me a QTS upon successful completion. I just dont know what to do, some of my friends in UK told me that I may not be able to find a job/sponsor without attaining a QTS although my university tells me that i can possibly work in independent private schools, or correctional facilities. I just dont want to have to return to india immediately after completing my pgce, would like to get some experience there and earl oney to repay my educational loan....besides i am not sure if an employer will sponsor my work perit without a qts...any suggestions?

It will be hard to find a job in many schools without QTS. Honestly, get onto a course which gives you QTS. You need the QTS not the PGCE.
Original post by happyy
It will be hard to find a job in many schools without QTS. Honestly, get onto a course which gives you QTS. You need the QTS not the PGCE.

Totally agree with @happyy. PGCEs are an internationally recognised qualification. which can and probably will open more doors than if you'd gained QTS without a PGCE. Careers in America, Australia and Canada are all possibilities with a UK PGCE. But in my mind if you are spending so much money to be studying in the uk it isn't worth the investment if you don't get QTS status.

Do you have any opportunities to go with another collage or uni?
(edited 4 years ago)
As others have said, you definitely need QTS. However, I think it's unusual for a PGCE not to have QTS awarded at the end - send a link to the course you have got an offer for :smile:
Reply 4
thanks so much for the advice :smile:

Original post by happyy
Reply 5
thanks so much for the advice ...heres a link to the course:
https://courses.bolton.ac.uk/course/EDU054-F-UOB-EX/2019-20/

Original post by Interrobang
As others have said, you definitely need QTS. However, I think it's unusual for a PGCE not to have QTS awarded at the end - send a link to the course you have got an offer for :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply...no I don't have any other opportunities...its so difficult for an international student from India to get into teaching in UK...the home office doenst issue a visa for this course ...it has to be a sponspored tier 2 program and most schools dont want to get into sponsoring international applicants ...my choices are so limited...tried umpteen number of times to apply initially through GTTR and then through UCAS but with no luck....so ironical, I have been teaching mathematics at GCSE level for the last 10 years with excellent student results and have wonderful references but cant teach in a country that has far better opportunities as opposed to the peanuts I am getting here
Original post by meaghan sharp
Totally agree with @happy. PGCEs are an internationally recognised qualification. which can and probably will open more doors than if you'd gained QTS without a PGCE. Careers in America, Australia and Canada are all possibilities with a UK PGCE. But in my mind if you are spending so much money to be studying in the uk it isn't worth the investment if you don't get QTS status.

Do you have any opportunities to go with another collage or uni?
Thanks for the reply...no I don't have any other opportunities...its so difficult for an international student from India to get into teaching in UK...the home office doenst issue a visa for this course ...it has to be a sponspored tier 2 program and most schools dont want to get into sponsoring international applicants ...my choices are so limited...tried umpteen number of times to apply initially through GTTR and then through UCAS but with no luck....so ironical, I have been teaching mathematics at GCSE level for the last 10 years with excellent student results and have wonderful references but cant teach in a country that has far better opportunities as opposed to the peanuts I am getting here

That sounds extremely frustrating. Do you think for your particular circumstances that it is worth the risk of getting a PGCE without the QTS status. I wonder if it were possible to convert a PGCE award after the course is finished by doing an extra module or two?
Ah I see why it's not including QTS. It's designed for people teaching in alternative settings and adult education. It wouldn't be helpful for teaching in a normal secondary school, you would be better off doing a normal maths PGCE and there are plenty around! Maths is a shortage subject too so there would probably be spaces. If you have already been teaching for a while then you could try the assessment only route if a school will employ you
(edited 4 years ago)
It may be difficult to get a job without the QTS not impossible. Even though they say private schools will take people without QTS it you were up against someone with it in interview it would probably be a deciding aspect. If you were to get into a private school you could do assessment only route to gain QTS after.
QTS is awarded separate to the PGCE. You have to have carried out so many placement days teaching in a school to gain QTS. Hence why some people get a PCET (I think it is) which is where they haven’t done the PGCE assignments and have just done the aspects to gain QTS. So you wouldn’t be able to top up as such as you would be potentially missing placements.
Original post by meaghan sharp
That sounds extremely frustrating. Do you think for your particular circumstances that it is worth the risk of getting a PGCE without the QTS status. I wonder if it were possible to convert a PGCE award after the course is finished by doing an extra module or two?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest