Help with Thermodynamics assignment

Watch
connorx99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I am doing a level 3 engineering diploma, myself and the rest of my class are struggling to answer most of the questions on the attached assignment paper particularly questions 2, 4, and 6 and 7. I have worked out q1 to be 7.3 icebergs per year needed and 7.3 x 10^3 volume needed. Most of the other questions we do not have the resources or the prior knowledge to calculate. Q3 and 5 are written theoretical questions which I can do myself. Any help on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated by all of us.

Connor.
Attached files
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by connorx99)
Hi,
I am doing a level 3 engineering diploma, myself and the rest of my class are struggling to answer most of the questions on the attached assignment paper particularly questions 2, 4, and 6 and 7. I have worked out q1 to be 7.3 icebergs per year needed and 7.3 x 10^3 volume needed. Most of the other questions we do not have the resources or the prior knowledge to calculate. Q3 and 5 are written theoretical questions which I can do myself. Any help on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated by all of us.

Connor.

2. For a 108 m3 iceberg, estimate the fraction of ice originally leaving the Antarctic that would eventually reach the desert country.

For this question, you can “estimate” how much of ice is melted with the heat transfer via radiation, first for the whole journey.

Next, you can “estimate” how much ice is melted due to the “water resistance” (frictional force)
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Connor.

4. Compare quantitatively the energy required to melt the 108 m3 iceberg with the energy required to tow it 104 km.

Just calculate the amount of thermal energy required to melt the iceberg
= mass of iceberg × Energy required to melt ice at 0°C per kg

Energy required to tow iceberg 104 km
= Force × speed × duration of time
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Connor.
6. Discuss, with suitable calculations, the choice between allowing the ice to melt in the sun and melting it using electrical energy. Assume that a 250 MW generating station is available nearby.

You can calculate the amount of ice melted per day using solar radiation (which is free). Does this amount of water meet the demand per day?

Next, you want to calculate the amount of ice melted in one day using the 250 MW generating station is available nearby. Does this amount of water meet the demand per day?
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Connor.

7. Compare the daily costs of desalination with those of electrical melting (with no energy input from the sun).

You have calculated the amount of electrical energy used to melt the ice in 6, so you should be able to compute the cost.

As for the cost of desalination, use the data given to you and should be able to work out the cost.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (322)
56.1%
I don't have everything I need (252)
43.9%

Watched Threads