How to improve french grammar very quickly Watch

rdre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
In 2 weeks time I am sitting my UCAS exams for my predicted grades for french. I'm in year 12 currently and got a 9 at GCSE french. However, I am terrible at grammar. I essentially crammed past, present, and future tense for GCSE and lucked out because I have a good accent and a good vocabulary. At the start of this year I promised myself to improve my grammar but I unfortunately have not done so much. Recently I've been using languagesonline.org for tenses, but I am still terrible at grammar> For example, I do not know when to use 'se' in front of a verb, etc. Is there any way to get a decent grade and improve my grammar in these next two weeks? I am aiming to get a grade A predicted as I am trying to apply for medicine. I have done well this year in French despite my terrible grammar due to my good content in essays, however I have been heavily relying on online translators to put my ideas into functioning sentences and I am very worried I will be found out in the exams two weeks. Is there any hope and any way I could salvage this? Many thanks.
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rdre)
In 2 weeks time I am sitting my UCAS exams for my predicted grades for french. I'm in year 12 currently and got a 9 at GCSE french. However, I am terrible at grammar. I essentially crammed past, present, and future tense for GCSE and lucked out because I have a good accent and a good vocabulary. At the start of this year I promised myself to improve my grammar but I unfortunately have not done so much. Recently I've been using languagesonline.org for tenses, but I am still terrible at grammar> For example, I do not know when to use 'se' in front of a verb, etc. Is there any way to get a decent grade and improve my grammar in these next two weeks? I am aiming to get a grade A predicted as I am trying to apply for medicine. I have done well this year in French despite my terrible grammar due to my good content in essays, however I have been heavily relying on online translators to put my ideas into functioning sentences and I am very worried I will be found out in the exams two weeks. Is there any hope and any way I could salvage this? Many thanks.
I'd really recommend Parapluie French and Learn French with Vincent on Youtube! They're really good at explaining grammar points. Watch them on 2x speed if you have to

If I were you I'd try to get to grips with grammar over the summer. You don't want to get to year 13 and still be making quite basic mistakes as it will really pull your grade down no matter how good your vocabulary and your ideas are. Do you have a textbook or a grammar book that you can practice with? If not, I'd really recommend this one.

Just going over a grammar point and its rules every few days during the summer will definitely help you out in the long run.

Good luck!
tasnim_chelbi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have been studying French literature and language for over 7 years and I can confirm that it's very wise of you to seriously consider improving your grammar.from a personal experience unstable grammar can ruin your essays, even if you have the best vocabulary and ideas
heres my personal advise (french grammar is all about the details) that's why I think you should start by getting yourself a textbook with detailed summaries of all the lessons
these are must have when you're struggling with grammar they have all the exception rules and examples (they helped me a lot)
https://www.amazon.fr/Conjugaison-in.../dp/2035925134
https://www.amazon.fr/Orthographe-in...3EJMTZTJZYYHT7
https://www.amazon.fr/Grammaire-indi...4KBYYT2BX9NZCE yet I would still recommend getting a textbook along with them
2 try to collect all the information (rules with different examples) and write it down in flashcards
3 learn that information by heart
4 PRACTICE, practice corrected exercises so you can see your progress, keep practicing as much as possible while trying to focus each time based on your progress on what you consider as your weak points
among the exercises that can be so helpful is "dictation" or "auto-dictation) you can find them in textbooks usually in the first of every lesson its basically a small text where the targeted grammar rules in that lesson are heavily used
Now for the translating thing its quite dangerous because the thing about french teachers, they won't only blame you for translating your ideas from English to French no they will blame you for thinking in English in the first place it can be hard at first but try your best to stay away from translation or thinking in English what can help you is trying to be familiar with the language first you can watch movies in French YouTube in French talk more in French in a daily basis when doing that you'll find yourself asking more questions about the language being curious about more stuff so what you're supposed to do is trying to search and put more effort into answering your daily question and paying attention to them You'll learn so much more in no time and get rid of any possible confusion
provide yourself a steady vocabulary base about the elements that constitutes a full sentence, for example, make a list of words that can play the role of a subject don't forget linker they can come in hand.
reading attentively books can help too
with a steady vocabulary base and the ability to use all basic grammar rules you shouldn't have problems
Don't worry, you'll do just fine,if not great I was in your place I am not naturally good in french and didn't do even half of the things I listed above and got an almost perfect mark
if you ever needed help or some practice sheets feel free to ask I'm not an expert but I'll try my best
Good luck ! hope this was helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%