The Student Room Group

Applied calculator help

I'm doing the new spec for edexcel maths, and i just wanted to check im not missing any calculator skills (which are easy marks). Does anyone know all the functions we need to be able to use on the calculator, and things that we need to use it for (i have the casio class wizz standard one im pretty sure), thanks and i hope everyone elses revision is going well.
Not sure which ones you know, but here are a few that might be overlooked:

1/. Use the table function to generate coordinates for things like quadratic curves.
2/. Solve quadratics to check your own answers (use polynomial, degree 2).
3/. Solve simultaneous equations to check your answers.
4/. Learn how to use the % button. Eg 4% of 42 = (type it in exactly as it's written here)
5/. Learn how to use the inequality function
6/. Work out how to use the ratio functions to find equivalent ratios
7/. Learn how to use the fraction stuff printed above S<=>D to change between improper fractions and mixed numbers
8/. Learn the trick of using the calculator to find the HCF (type in a pair of numbers as a fraction, hit = to get the calc to cancel it down, then divide the original numerator by the cancelled down numerator to give the HCF.

Bound to be more, but these are the ones that tend to get overlooked.

Also, please stop thinking examiners want answers as decimals. There's a tendency to hit the S<=>D too much.

Finally, assuming you're doing GCSE, to reset your calculator to factory settings (clearing memory and making sure it reverts back to using degrees for trig questions), hit

shift 9 3 = AC

Quick Reply

Latest