2 Languages Watch

Ivanita-Ariana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hi everyone,
I am thinking of doing 2 languages for GCSE's- French and Spanish- just a quick question-is it hard to do two.If anyone has done 2 or more(excluding English lol) could you please tell me about your experiences.
I am very good in both languages and really would like to do both and do well in both.
Ivanita-Ariana
Rep:
?
any help would be appreciated thanks a lot
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did both French and Spanish a few years ago and found that they both complemented each other a lot. Languages at GCSE also aren't very content heavy so it was nice not having a ton of revision of revision to do for them when exams came around. If you like languages and you're willing to put in extra time for them outside of school throughout the year then I'd recommend it
Ivanita-Ariana
Rep:
?
Thanks so much- much appreciated-year I'm willing to-my parents are getting tutors for literally every subject-so I will have extra help
Thanks a lot
Did you do well?
(Original post by MinaBee)
I did both French and Spanish a few years ago and found that they both complemented each other a lot. Languages at GCSE also aren't very content heavy so it was nice not having a ton of revision of revision to do for them when exams came around. If you like languages and you're willing to put in extra time for them outside of school throughout the year then I'd recommend it
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ivanita-Ariana)
Thanks so much- much appreciated-year I'm willing to-my parents are getting tutors for literally every subject-so I will have extra help
Thanks a lot
Did you do well?
I did my GCSEs in 2016 so we still had letter grades and I got an A* in Spanish and an A in French.

Are you already studying both languages? I picked up French from scratch in year 10 so it was a bit stressful having to cram everything in 2 years but if you're doing both already then you're already at a great advantage Honestly as long as you dedicate 10-15 minutes each day to vocab learning and making sure you have a secure knowledge of grammar you'll be absolutely fine :yep:

It seems like a lot of people like to make out that GCSE languages are these ridiculously hard subjects that no one can pass when that's really not the case, they're no more difficult than history, biology, maths etc. The problem is that for languages you pretty much have to be self-reliant if you want the tops grades and it sounds like you are so I wouldn't worry. If you've read any horror stories don't let it put you off
Ivanita-Ariana
Rep:
?
Oh wow well done u must be smart
Thanks a lot for your very helpful response
I am currently studying both
I started french from year 7 and Spanish from year 8.had a really ba day teachers so Ann pretty much learning everything biennial in year 9 but definitely love languages.
Thanks soooo much for ur response

I did my GCSEs in 2016 so we still had letter grades and I got an A* in Spanish and an A in French.

Are you already studying both languages? I picked up French from scratch in year 10 so it was a bit stressful having to cram everything in 2 years but if you're doing both already then you're already at a great advantage Honestly as long as you dedicate 10-15 minutes each day to vocab learning and making sure you have a secure knowledge of grammar you'll be absolutely fine :yep:

It seems like a lot of people like to make out that GCSE languages are these ridiculously hard subjects that no one can pass when that's really not the case, they're no more difficult than history, biology, maths etc. The problem is that for languages you pretty much have to be self-reliant if you want the tops grades and it sounds like you are so I wouldn't worry. If you've read any horror stories don't let it put you off
Last edited by Ivanita-Ariana; 3 weeks ago
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh wow well done u must be smart
Thanks a lot for your very helpful response
I am currently studying both
I started french from year 7 and Spanish from year 8.had a really ba day teachers so Ann pretty much learning everything biennial in year 9 but definitely love languages.
Thanks soooo much for ur response
Oh gosh I'm really not, languages are just one of the few subjects I ''get'' if you know what I mean

You're welcome! If you're looking to teach things yourself I'd really recommend either Memrise of Quizlet for vocab learning. Memrise may be a bit better as you can find vocab sets that are tailored to your exam board like this one if you're with AQA.

I'd also recommend checking out your exam board's specification too. Usually they'll have a list of all the grammar points and vocabulary that you they expect you to know and you could use this as a revision checklist.

Good luck!
Ivanita-Ariana
Rep:
?
Thanks so much
Oh gosh I'm really not, languages are just one of the few subjects I ''get'' if you know what I mean

You're welcome! If you're looking to teach things yourself I'd really recommend either Memrise of Quizlet for vocab learning. Memrise may be a bit better as you can find vocab sets that are tailored to your exam board like this one if you're with AQA.

I'd also recommend checking out your exam board's specification too. Usually they'll have a list of all the grammar points and vocabulary that you they expect you to know and you could use this as a revision checklist.

Good luck!
vitorpach
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi everyone,
I am thinking of doing 2 languages for GCSE's- French and Spanish- just a quick question-is it hard to do two.If anyone has done 2 or more(excluding English lol) could you please tell me about your experiences.
I am very good in both languages and really would like to do both and do well in both.
Well I'm doing 4 languages for my gcses (italian, Portuguese, Spanish and French) and I'd say it is not difficult if you understand how latin derivated languages (french, italian, Portuguese, etc...) work.
MFL for GCSEs is quite easy, but i see that some people really struggle mostly with speaking.
sqrt of 5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi everyone,
im doing 3 languages at gcse: french, spanish and italian. trust me it's not that difficult
epicnm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think if your talented with languages, do it! It’s a great opportunity to learn more about a different culture. If your unsure, go to aqa.co.uk and look at some of the questions theyll ask. Depending on your current level, will depend on the ease you find in the language. What I would advise doing in year 10 is get to grips with the grammar concepts of both languages and make sure to watch movies and news articles in each language to help with fluency, especially if you aren’t experienced in it.
vitorpach
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depending on your aptitude to learn languages, they are really not that difficult! Take a look at some past exam papers and see how you find them. 😃
MilkshakeMalties
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Doing two languages together helps a lot, especially if they are both romance languages. They go hand in hand.
Õpilane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do French and Spanish (I started my GCSE courses this year, I'm in year 9) and I love it I would say that, out of all of my subjects, languages are my "thing".
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ivanita-Ariana
Rep:
?
thankyou everyone for your help
I will definitely go for it- thanks so much
Õpilane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thankyou everyone for your help
I will definitely go for it- thanks so much
Good luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi everyone,
I did French, German and Italian (Italian in one year) and got A*s in all three without tutors. Just practice every day and completely surround yourself in the languages. Going abroad and doing a language course in France and Spain would help loads as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.14%
The paper was reasonable (1113)
55.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.87%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.92%

Watched Threads