The Student Room Group

Head Girl Assembly

Hello,
So in my school - when applying for Head Girl - we have to give a 1-2 minute presentation to the rest of the school on ourselves and what we would like to change/bring to the school as Head girl, as in why should I be Head Girl. The problem is, I have no ideas as to what the students would like me to change, as it all depends on a student vote. The boy who won last year said he'd bring shorts to the school uniform, which went down really well. So, has anyone got any general ideas as to what I could change in a school? Anything would be helpful, I just need something to inspire me.
Thanks in advance.
What do you always hear people complaining about?
Ask people what they like least with the school and try and find a consensus on an issue (one you have a possibility of changing)
Original post by wizkid44
What do you always hear people complaining about?

The only thing is that the current Head Boy has not yet made shorts "a thing". So potentially, I could mention how I will do my very best to ensure that the shorts are available for the next year? I'm pretty sure someone who's applying for Head Boy is saying that though. I was thinking about a peer mentoring scheme and have received very positive feedback from students about it, so I might suggest that?
Original post by TheHistoryNerd_
The only thing is that the current Head Boy has not yet made shorts "a thing". So potentially, I could mention how I will do my very best to ensure that the shorts are available for the next year? I'm pretty sure someone who's applying for Head Boy is saying that though. I was thinking about a peer mentoring scheme and have received very positive feedback from students about it, so I might suggest that?

Yes I think that would be a good idea. Also maybe use flattery (that's what someone at my school did) or your wish. Wishing you all the best in your speech xx
Make it more egalitarian and appeal to girls having more dress code freedom too. Also consider advocating for minority groups if you feel any are under represented or bullied. If there is anything in that vein that personally resonates with you, run with it. Don’t be disingenuous though .
Original post by danieliom
Make it more egalitarian and appeal to girls having more dress code freedom too. Also consider advocating for minority groups if you feel any are under represented or bullied. If there is anything in that vein that personally resonates with you, run with it. Don’t be disingenuous though .

We do have a very strict skirt policy at my school, so that one might be hard to pull off. As for the groups, lately my school have done a lot to combat the prejudice / bullying agiainst the minority groups. The struggle is more so me saying what the students want me to say because at the end of the day it's a student vote (which I don't really agree with) and no teachers are involved or anything. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will definetly have more of a think about any groups I feel are under represented within the school.
Original post by TheHistoryNerd_
We do have a very strict skirt policy at my school, so that one might be hard to pull off. As for the groups, lately my school have done a lot to combat the prejudice / bullying agiainst the minority groups. The struggle is more so me saying what the students want me to say because at the end of the day it's a student vote (which I don't really agree with) and no teachers are involved or anything. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will definetly have more of a think about any groups I feel are under represented within the school.

Student vote is better than fashie mess of a system my school uses. It’s just whoever kisses up to the teacher the most.

Honestly this kind of thing is more hassle than it’s worth; I wouldn’t bother unless you have an actual genuine passionate cause to run on ...
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending