The Student Room Group

Pokémon Sword and Shield?

Scroll to see replies

At the moment I'm thinking Grookey, but I tend to not like grass starters much so I'd probably end up regretting it. I guess I'll decide once I see the other new fire/water/grass types in the region (I always compose my teams entirely of new gen Pokes) and their final evolutions. :lol:
Reply 41
I'm Grookey Gang and Team Shield :P
i like big cat pokemon more :3 more legendary with cat faces! besides mew suicine entei raikou!
Original post by Your Local Cat
Zacian >>>>>>>>>>>>> Solgaleo
Is it true that Game Freak is planning to cancel hundreds of old pokemon they are not playable on the new editions sword and shield? that is disappointed.
Original post by Kallisto
Is it true that Game Freak is planning to cancel hundreds of old pokemon they are not playable on the new editions sword and shield? that is disappointed.

Pretty much. They've said they need to limit the Pokémon in the game because including formes we'll cross the 1k barrier with this game (obviously doesn't include Spinda since there's 3,945,136,128 different Spinda forms, but 807 unique Pokémon at the end of gen 7, two formes for Hoopa and Giratina, 4 for Deoxys, 18 Alola variants - so we're presumably looking at about 170 new Pokémon) so they're curating the regional Dex going forward. In practice this is going to mean the original 151 will be in because all the modelling was done for them with the let's go: Pikachu and Eevee games last year, then a selection from other generations. The hardcore fans are, to put it politely, less than pleased since it means they won't necessarily be able to bring their favourites forward when Home launches next year
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Pretty much. They've said they need to limit the Pokémon in the game because including formes we'll cross the 1k barrier with this game (obviously doesn't include Spinda since there's 3,945,136,128 different Spinda forms, but 807 unique Pokémon at the end of gen 7, two formes for Hoopa and Giratina, 4 for Deoxys, 18 Alola variants - so we're presumably looking at about 170 new Pokémon) so they're curating the regional Dex going forward. In practice this is going to mean the original 151 will be in because all the modelling was done for them with the let's go: Pikachu and Eevee games last year, then a selection from other generations. The hardcore fans are, to put it politely, less than pleased since it means they won't necessarily be able to bring their favourites forward when Home launches next year

This seems kinda lazy: they've been using the same 3D models since gen 6 anyway, the only difference being textures being slightly touched up. It's not the same as needing to redesign sprites like they had to for every game before gen 6. Size isn't an issue - Breath of the Wild is a 14 GB game and Let's Go is 4.1 GB - meaning if they weren't set on releasing one game every year, they could fit the full dex with ease. (Ofc, it doesn't have to, and wouldn't need to, take as much time, money and space as BOTW, I mentioned it to compare.)

That said, I'm not actually that fussed and will still buy it and probably enjoy it as much as I would enjoy it with a full dex.
Reply 46
Original post by Athenaxx
Which starter is everyone choosing? I'm going for sobble :smile:

As of now, I going for Scorbunny since its my fav out of the 3. However, if the others have better final evolutions, I'll probs choose them

Tbh its a bit hard to decide at the moment lol :lol:
Original post by Terranova
This seems kinda lazy: they've been using the same 3D models since gen 6 anyway, the only difference being textures being slightly touched up. It's not the same as needing to redesign sprites like they had to for every game before gen 6. Size isn't an issue - Breath of the Wild is a 14 GB game and Let's Go is 4.1 GB - meaning if they weren't set on releasing one game every year, they could fit the full dex with ease. (Ofc, it doesn't have to, and wouldn't need to, take as much time, money and space as BOTW, I mentioned it to compare.)

That said, I'm not actually that fussed and will still buy it and probably enjoy it as much as I would enjoy it with a full dex.

They attempted to future proof, doesn't mean those models then actually transferred to the switch well, particularly with Pokémon encounters being in the overworld in the new wild area
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They attempted to future proof, doesn't mean those models then actually transferred to the switch well, particularly with Pokémon encounters being in the overworld in the new wild area

?? The models were reused. Raw XY models, Pokemon Go models and Let's Go models are all identical, with the only difference being texture filtering. Pokemon appearing in the overworld would have indeed probably needed more work though, but most likely not enough to justify cutting the dex yet. I would take a full dex over this whole new Dynamax thing, they're been adding these big new battle mechanics since mega evolution and it's kinda gotten lamer every generation
Original post by Terranova
?? The models were reused. Raw XY models, Pokemon Go models and Let's Go models are all identical, with the only difference being texture filtering. Pokemon appearing in the overworld would have indeed probably needed more work though, but most likely not enough to justify cutting the dex yet. I would take a full dex over this whole new Dynamax thing, they're been adding these big new battle mechanics since mega evolution and it's kinda gotten lamer every generation

I'm no animator, but I'll trust the developers talking about it: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemon-sword-and-shield-interview

We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there's going to be more added in these games. And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations.

If the models and animation are actually the same they wouldn't need to mention creating it with higher fidelity. Similarly cutting the Dex, they know better the strains on development time than the neckbeards in r/pokemon throwing a tantrum. The obvious answer to that is longer development cycles rather than a release every year, but that assumes GameFreak can do that without the commercial pressure from the TCG, anime, manga and other merchandise, because Pokémon is a multimedia franchise, not just a game.

Quick Reply

Latest