Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does it count as self harm or not?
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it depends on the intention behind it, if you're attempting to hurt yourself then yes.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I think it depends on the intention behind it, if you're attempting to hurt yourself then yes.
As an alternative.As a coping mechanism.
Obolinda
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well technically, yes but it's still a good coping mechanism
(Original post by Anonymous)
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like to distract yourself from other pain/distress?

I'd say it could be classed as self harm in that scenario, but as I said it really depends on the context and what you perceive it to be.
Unexpectedly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd certainly not recommend it. I can think of at least ten good alternatives.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Like to distract yourself from other pain/distress?

I'd say it could be classed as self harm in that scenario, but as I said it really depends on the context and what you perceive it to be.
Alternative from another method that is perceived as bad.I don't know why I do it sometimes,but it's a need.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Technically I suppose but it is a lot less harmful, in fact the 'rubber band method' is a common technique doctor's recommend to patients who have trouble with self harm as a safe alternative
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Technically I suppose but it is a lot less harmful, in fact the 'rubber band method' is a common technique doctor's recommend to patients who have trouble with self harm as a safe alternative
That's what I use it for,personally.Do you use it yourself?And am I at risk of any damage by doing this?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes it does (technically as Cavy said) - because it causes pain. If you tie it too tight it could cause harm (and potentially lasting damage).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes it does. If you tie it too tight it could cause harm.
I don't tie it around,I just put it on,snap it in different places until I think I had enough and take it off.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's what I use it for,personally.Do you use it yourself?And am I at risk of any damage by doing this?
Doubt anyone (including Cavy) would know without actually seeing what you are doing, and how much pressure you are applying.

I don't tie it around,I just put it on,snap it in different places until I think I had enough and take it off.
I can't encourage self harm / infliction of pain.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Alternative from another method that is perceived as bad.I don't know why I do it sometimes,but it's a need.
Then yes, it's self-harm, but it's a lot safer compared to other methods.
So although I don't encourage self-harm, you're better off doing this than resulting to something more rash.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wouldn't think it would cause any damage just by twanging it, ideally you wouldn't be doing anything at all but it is akin to how vaping is preferable than smoking but doing nothing is preferable still. You should be fine :hugs: have you tried ice cubes as well?
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I heard its effective as a coping mechanism. I guess it is 'self harm' in a sense but its not in the same league as cutting.
Unexpectedly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wouldn't think it would cause any damage just by twanging it, ideally you wouldn't be doing anything at all but it is akin to how vaping is preferable than smoking but doing nothing is preferable still. You should be fine :hugs: have you tried ice cubes as well?
Vaping looks very uncool.
Anonymous #1
No I haven;t tried ice cubes.Im just on edge :/
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No I haven;t tried ice cubes.Im just on edge :/
Doctors who deal with mental health often recommend rubbing some ice on your skin to get a sensation without damaging yourself , you could try that if you are worried about the rubber band method
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Technically it's self harm as you're still intentionally trying to cause yourself physical pain but it's a much safer alternative than cutting, burning etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.58%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (69)
32.55%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.28%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.49%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.09%

Watched Threads