The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Full time or part time?

So I’m looking to do a degree in International Studies. However, I currently work as a fitness instructor. I work 4 days a week, 2-10pm, and I LOVE my job and I love the full time income. So that full time income is something I do not want to lose. So I should pick part time study, right? Because I also like to go away a couple times a year to travel for a week at a time.

But the thought of doing a 6 year part time course is daunting for me. I’d much rather do the 3 year full time course, and still keep the full time job even though that’s essentially not possible. I’m in a bit of a dilemma and I don’t know what to do.
6 years is way too long to be doing a degree. My advise is to make your job part-time and just do the 3 year course.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by EdWoodcock28
So I’m looking to do a degree in International Studies. However, I currently work as a fitness instructor. I work 4 days a week, 2-10pm, and I LOVE my job and I love the full time income. So that full time income is something I do not want to lose. So I should pick part time study, right? Because I also like to go away a couple times a year to travel for a week at a time.

But the thought of doing a 6 year part time course is daunting for me. I’d much rather do the 3 year full time course, and still keep the full time job even though that’s essentially not possible. I’m in a bit of a dilemma and I don’t know what to do.

You could likely do the first year full time, because it's level 1 and it's not counted towards your final degree classification. That would shorten it to five years which is what I've done. You could possibly attempt doing full time in year 2 but the work ramps up hugely. In fact, one of my level 2 30 credits science modules is so intense that it's being moved up to 60 credits next year. Most students have felt like the work load was huge and I agree! You can always do full time and then defer a module if you find it's too much or it's affecting your grades, but their may be added costs for deferring and you might not able to bank your scores.

I know someone who already has a degree who works full time. She was aiming to study full time in year two but had to defer one because it was just too much, but she lost all of her previous work and scores in the process. Out of everyone, I felt like she was the most likely to be able to do the degree in three years despite full time work, but even she caved in.

You would have to really ask yourself if you're someone who is very motivated to do work, even when you don't feel like doing it. Would you be willing to study before each shift and on the weekends, giving up all your free time? I find doing part time is a lot less stressful than full time because usually you only have to focus on one essay every two months or so.

Honestly, the time goes pretty quick. I'm coming to the end of my second year and time does fly by!
Original post by Anonymous
6 years is way too long to be doing a degree. My advise is to make your job part-time and just do the 3 year course.

Why is it too long? You can take up to 16 years to finish a degree. A huge proportion of OU students study over 6 years. The time it takes to get to the same destination isn't all that important when people are juggling work and family commitments.
This is such a good answer. I think it’s just the fear of getting past the third year out of six, and having enough of the study and the workload, then seeing that I have three more years to study. Like I said, I don’t want to drop my full time job at all, and I love to travel occasionally, so I’m thinking that this might be the way to go
Hi all

I’m starting with ou in Oct doing the ba hon open degree.
Now I already had 2 years worth uni 240 credits from 6 years ago and I have been able to transfer the credits to OU.
I am just doing the 3rd yr to complete my degree
With my self I knew I was going to do this full time as I really want to draw a line under it all. I work full time 9-5 so I will be studying after work and on weekends and luckily I have no commitments or issues at home so I know I can commit to it. I have registered my modules which are approaches to mental health and social psychology. On my home page it now tells me how many TMa I have and cut off dates to it about 1 essay a month. At the moment I’m thinking I can do it but will see when i start and yes you need to be super motivated and luckily for me I know in my head it’s only 9 months of hard work and then I finally have a degree
I started my first year part time with the view to going full time for levels 2 and 3. I massively underestimated the work load (which I think a lot of people do) and decided to stay part time. I am about to finish year 3 out of 6.

Previous poster who said that work load ramps up from level 2 onwards is spot on. I work full time, and am lucky enough to be able to study whilst at work as I get lots of downtime. Despite this, in order to balance my family life and external commitments, I still won't go full time - if nothing else it will pile on loads of pressure.

For example, I'm currently preparing for my one exam this year. I'm studying approx. three hours a day to ensure I am 100% prepared. Some may say this is too much and is totally dependent on the individual (which it is), that's just one example.
Also, part time is sort of a blessing. If you choose your modules wisely you'll only have to sit one exam a year - full time students may have to sit two or even three. Do you really fancy that stress with your fulltime job? Will you be able to give yourself the time to prepare and get the best results?

The 6 years isn't really that long depending how you look at it. If you're enjoying your job and life at the moment, you can still enjoy it just the same and do a little extra work until you've completed your degree, earning money, achieving goals etc. Going full time will completely change your personal dynamic and limit what you can do in your personal life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending