What textbooks to buy ?? Watch

Rranade
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m going into s4 meaning I will have exams next year to stay prepared I’ve heard people buy textbooks but since they’re so many I can’t decide which one is best

I’ve taken :
Biology
Chemistry
Spanish
Graphic communication
Physics
Englis & maths ( those are required)
help !!
Jamesshoreo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say getting the ones that have been endorsed by the exam board
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Buying textbooks is a very old school american thing to do. Your school / college / uni is obligated to provide the materials you need to study, they will be in the library or available as electronic versions. Save your money
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wait until you start your courses, your school will most likely give you textbooks to cover some if not all of what you need to know so there’s no point wasting money until then
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Button222
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My school didn’t give me textbooks so I bought the leckie and leckie ones for all my subjects, I’m just moving into s5
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rranade)
I’m going into s4 meaning I will have exams next year to stay prepared I’ve heard people buy textbooks but since they’re so many I can’t decide which one is best

I’ve taken :
Biology
Chemistry
Spanish
Graphic communication
Physics
Englis & maths ( those are required)
help !!
Some schools do give you access to some textbooks, so wait and find out if they're going to give you any...For the sciences, I found the How to Pass ones best, as Hodder and Leckie were both in too much depth with information that wasn't needed, and the HtP also had some good sets of questions in.
Be careful about buying a textbook for English- no textbook will contain all of the set texts in it, so you could end up getting a book that's only helpful for some of the course. I'd say that a textbook for English is of limited value anyways if you have a decent teacher.
For maths, I'd expect that you'll be given a textbook to work from- you probably won't need anything else.
I can't comment on graph comm or Spanish, as I didn't do either.

What suits each person will be different, and my recommendations are based on my experiences of them. I'd therefore recommend that you visit a bookshop if you can, so you can look at the different types for yourself and get an idea of what ones you think might be most helpful to you
If you are buying some, make sure you shop around- some shops will offer deals, and you can also get fairly big discounts if you buy directly from the publishers and use a Young Scot Card.
Teenie2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Be careful that the content in any of the textbooks you get are suitable for the newer Nat5 courses as the SQA keep changing the courses !!!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you know what text you will be studying in English it may be a good idea to buy it now and read it through before/during summer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads