AThanDr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi,
I am going to do a master's degree in Commercial Building Surveying and i was wondering, what other jobs can i do with a building surveying degree (in the built environment) except building surveyor?
Muffinmuncher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

It's actually a really varied job, the careers websites really don't do it justice. We don't just look at damp patches, we can get involved in design, refurbing buildings, contract management, expert witnesses etc and on literally any type of building. I'm currently working on a design refurbishment to a grade 2 listed stately home as a Building Surveyor. One major area a lot of people go into after getting experience, and what i intend to do also, is project management. Building Surveying degrees cover such a wide range of topics that it puts us in a perfect position to become project managers.

I'm not sure what's included in your degree as it specifically refers to 'commercial'- personally I would do a Masters in Building Surveying that isn't so specific. Mine included commercial, residential and heritage which broadens your prospects. Do you need a masters? if you just want a career change then a PG Diploma will suffice for a career in Building Surveying- it gives you the same knowledge and is good enough to get you employment and removes the need to do a masters dissertation which is hard work for little gain in a vocational subject.
AThanDr
Rep:
?
Hi there,
thanks for the quick response. I have a bachelor in civil engineering but i really need a masters degree to update my profile. The core modules of this programme are, building management, building technology, design management, law and contract, BIM project and dilipitations. I have two offers, the other one is sustainable design and management but unfortunately it is very expensive. I definitely want to get involved with sustainability and construction (get a LEED certification).
(Original post by Muffinmuncher)
Hi

It's actually a really varied job, the careers websites really don't do it justice. We don't just look at damp patches, we can get involved in design, refurbing buildings, contract management, expert witnesses etc and on literally any type of building. I'm currently working on a design refurbishment to a grade 2 listed stately home as a Building Surveyor. One major area a lot of people go into after getting experience, and what i intend to do also, is project management. Building Surveying degrees cover such a wide range of topics that it puts us in a perfect position to become project managers.

I'm not sure what's included in your degree as it specifically refers to 'commercial'- personally I would do a Masters in Building Surveying that isn't so specific. Mine included commercial, residential and heritage which broadens your prospects. Do you need a masters? if you just want a career change then a PG Diploma will suffice for a career in Building Surveying- it gives you the same knowledge and is good enough to get you employment and removes the need to do a masters dissertation which is hard work for little gain in a vocational subject.
AThanDr
Rep:
?
Hi there,

thanks for the quick response. I have a bachelor in civil engineering but i really need a masters degree to update my profile. The core modules of this programme are, building management, building technology, design management, law and contract, BIM project and dilipitations. I have two offers, the other one is sustainable design and management but unfortunately it is very expensive. I definitely want to get involved with sustainability and construction (get a LEED certification).
(Original post by Muffinmuncher)
Hi

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.15%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.27%

Watched Threads