Chemistry Tasters/Classes Watch

sKULLedGhost
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, does anyone know how important it is to get Chemistry work experience before University? I am absolutely STRUGGLING to find anything available. I'm worried that it is going to be a make or break for studying Chemistry at University. Would wider reading help? What should I read? I am so worried. I've tried looking at the RSC page but everything is so outdated! Most of them are full or clash during my work experience trip (8th to 14th June)
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sKULLedGhost)
Hi, does anyone know how important it is to get Chemistry work experience before University? I am absolutely STRUGGLING to find anything available. I'm worried that it is going to be a make or break for studying Chemistry at University. Would wider reading help? What should I read? I am so worried. I've tried looking at the RSC page but everything is so outdated! Most of them are full or clash during my work experience trip (8th to 14th June)
Work experience isn't vital for any academic course, and unis know it's hard to find.

What they do expect to see in your PS is evidence of an academic interest in your subject beyond the classroom- this could be wider reading, events you've attended, school based volunteering like peer tutoring etc.
sKULLedGhost
Rep:
?
Is that all? I've been to a lot of bio-chem lectures, I volunteer at girl guides, I read chemistry articles, journals and made a school magazine. I have a part-time job tutoring and I watch a lot of science documentaries. Is that okay?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Work experience isn't vital for any academic course, and unis know it's hard to find.

What they do expect to see in your PS is evidence of an academic interest in your subject beyond the classroom- this could be wider reading, events you've attended, school based volunteering like peer tutoring etc.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sKULLedGhost)
Is that all? I've been to a lot of bio-chem lectures, I volunteer at girl guides, I read chemistry articles, journals and made a school magazine. I have a part-time job tutoring and I watch a lot of science documentaries. Is that okay?
Going to bio-chem lectures is good, but you will need to explain why these led you to apply for chemistry rather than biochemistry.

Girl guides is irrelevant to chemistry, as is your tutoring unless you're tutoring chemistry.

The reading and school magazine is good.

I wouldn't bother mentioning science documentaries in your PS, as usually they are aimed at the general public, rather than at an academic level.
sKULLedGhost
Rep:
?
So would I just say I preferred the Chemistry modules far more than the Biology ones such as Organic Chemistry in the Medicine Workshop and Molecular Structures and calculations? What would I say about the School Magazine? I made a Chemistry Column so would I say that it has furthered my understanding of Chemistry through active research? Same with the reading... What about Chemistry Webinars?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Going to bio-chem lectures is good, but you will need to explain why these led you to apply for chemistry rather than biochemistry.

Girl guides is irrelevant to chemistry, as is your tutoring unless you're tutoring chemistry.

The reading and school magazine is good.

I wouldn't bother mentioning science documentaries in your PS, as usually they are aimed at the general public, rather than at an academic level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads