Questions For The Christian Watch

Mohammed SaIah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
1. It’s the majority opinion by far that Jesus only spoke Aramaic, maybe a tiny bit of Greek at best. Why are all the New Testament books in Greek when so much is lost in translations?

2. Athanasius decided the 27 New Testament books in 361; but before that the books weren’t decided. How come early church fathers before couldn’t distinguish between your books “from God” and other books that were later not included in the bible?

3. You can’t find a trinitarian belief; three co-equal co-eternal entities until Athanasius in the late 4th century. All trinitarians before this were heretical (they’d make the 3 entities a hierarchy or 1 in 3 forms). Why isn’t your foundational belief found before this?

4. There’s no trinitarian belief in the Jewish scriptures; it’s not even debatable. Why did Abraham, Moses, Jacob all believe in the Oneness of God if the trinity is true? Were Jews pre Christianity mislead by God?

5. Why is a huge portion of the New Testament written by Paul who never met Jesus (except in his “vision” on the road to Damascus)?

6. How come the Gospel of Mark, the earliest gospel included in the bible, doesn’t have the part Jesus AS resurrects and is seen by the disciples? Why did Mark omit the most fundamental part of the Christian narrative?
GrowFree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
1. The New Testament was written in Greek for the same reason it was written: the New Testament was written to announce Jesus Christ to the world; for this reason, they chose the most widespread language of that time: it was Greek. Writing the New Testament in Aramaic or in Hebrew, that is, in languages that were known to Hebrew people only, would have been in an absurd contradiction with the scope itself of the New Testament.

2. The official canon of the Christian Bible was not decided by Athanasius, but by the Council of Trent (1545-1563). The list of Athanasius was just one of the different lists that were adopted before, by different Christian communities and groups. Before the official decision of the Council of Trent, the distinction between “from God”, as you said, and “other books”, was based on practice and, as such, had no possibility to be claimed as absolutely definitive.

3. The doctrine of Trinity is a formulation, by human words, about the nature of God. As such, it is an interpretation and depends on the culture of any historical period and historical groups of Christians. Since it depends on interpretation, it is possible to recognize or to refuse its presence in the Bible and in Christian traditions. So, if you decide that the doctrine of Trinity is not contained in the Bible, nobody could demonstrate you the contrary, because any debate would be just an interpretation against another interpretation.

4. According to the Catholic doctrine, God decided to reveal himself gradually, inside and along the human history. Any objection against his choice can be traced back to the problem of theodicy: why evil exists if God is infinite love and infinite power? Again, it is a question about interpretation: see point 3.

5. Things happened just this way, Paul had his role and importance just because the history of Christianity developed this way. If we want to consider that the history is guided by God, see point 4.

6. Every Gospel has its style, its history, its problems. Your question needs to be cleared by specifying that Mark clearly presumes Jesus as resurrected. So the question is: why Mark prefers to present the resurrected Jesus in such a veiled, silent, implicit way? It is possible to notice that the Gospel of Mark is characterized by a less theological language, a way of narrating that tries to guide the reader to figure by himself what is implied by the narrated facts. On the contrary, for example, Matthew or John, are much more explicit in expressing the meaning of facts, in way that creates boundaries to the imagination of the reader. So, we can imagine that Mark preferred to guide the reader to a very intimate idea of Jesus resurrected, rather than an idea theologically clear and explicit. But this is just an hypothesis; nevertheless, it is not a fanciful hypothesis: it is based on serious study of the text.

I would like to clarify that I gave you these answers not to present the Gospels, or the Bible, or Christianity, free from problems and contradictions. On the contrary, the Gospels, the Bible and Christianity are full of heavy problems and huge contradictions. The difficulties that you expressed are just some of them, perhaps not even the biggest. I would just like to show that, despite the presence of problems and contradictions, Christianity, as well as most religions, is not something stupid or naive.
Last edited by GrowFree; 3 weeks ago
cuber314159
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
1. Greek was understood by far more people at the time so it was written in Greek to help it spread.

2. the early church leaders had decided long before which books they were using they just had not made a set canon of books, it is also fair to have the four gospels we have today as the other ones were written by people far longer afterwards:
Matthew: eyewitness, disciple of Jesus
Mark: friend of Peter, who was an eyewitness and in Jesus' very close group
Luke: friend of Paul, who had the miraculous conversion and became a great evangelist
John: eyewitness, disciple of Jesus.

3. "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." 1 John 5:7 in the new testament, there are hints at it in other parts of the Bible but they are not so explicit.

4. it is not explicit in the old testament but it is possible that Moses saw God the father or God the son, the prophets prophesised through the holy spirit...

5. Paul wrote excellent letters to the new churches he had helped set up, they are helpful for christians today so they are included.

6. it does, it was in the original text and although catholics like to use manuscripts that omit it, claiming they are older, it is clear to me that it was in the original text.

@GrowFree I am yet to find a single contradiction in the KJV bible that is not answerable, many people have suggested them to me but none stand critical analysis, what convinces me of the Bibles truth is that it was written over such a long period of time and yet it does not contradict itself, it prophecises many things that turn out to be true.
Last edited by cuber314159; 3 weeks ago
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
nice questions, I'll answer some.

3. the trinitarian belief is found in the Bible itself, John 5:7 say that there are three that bear record in heaven, and these three are one.. that's how we get the word trinity.

4. by Jewish scriptures, do you mean the Torah or the Talmud? the Torah is the first 5 books in the Bible, you will also find that it's supports the doctrine of the trinity, for example, Genesis 1:26 "and God said, let us make man in our image and after our likeness" see how God refers to himself using plural pronouns? because the "us" is Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

the Jews don't believe the Torah, so obviously they won't believe the teachings of the trinity found in the Bible. they do however believe the Talmud, which was written after Christ and has no such teaching of the trinity since that'd mean they'd have to accept Jesus as the Messiah, which clearly they didn't want to. the Jews weren't mislead, God just made his nature more clearer in the new testament, for example, God revealed his name to be Jehovah later in the Old Testament, not in the beginning.

5. because God picked Paul to spread the gospel to the gentiles, the disciples were more focused on the Jews, that's why you see halfway in the book of acts, the attention shifts from the disciples to Paul
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GrowFree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cuber314159)
@GrowFree I am yet to find a single contradiction in the KJV bible that is not answerable, many people have suggested them to me but none stand critical analysis, what convinces me of the Bibles truth is that it was written over such a long period of time and yet it does not contradict itself, it prophecises many things that turn out to be true.
I know that any contradiction, not only in the Bible, is answerable. Being able to answer any contradiction is not really a great success in my opinion; I am able by myself to defend any statement and its opposite as well. There are no statements that couldn’t be questioned by objections, that, in turn, could be questioned as well. I think that a more valid position is being able to understand other’s ideas, perceptions, perspectives, and the weakness that any statement cannot escape.
Justanotheranon6
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can I ask a question? I don’t wanna hyjack ur thread OP.
Just wondering what other Christians think about the contradictions in the bible?
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Justanotheranon6)
Can I ask a question? I don’t wanna hyjack ur thread OP.
Just wondering what other Christians think about the contradictions in the bible?
there are no contradictions in the King James Bible since is the perfect and preserved word of God in the English language.

the modern versions, however, do have contradictions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (283)
15.22%
The paper was reasonable (1034)
55.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (403)
21.67%
It was TERRIBLE (140)
7.53%

Watched Threads