The best advice about choosing a levels ever! Watch

Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone I am in my 2nd year of a levels I will give you the advice about choosing a levels no one else will give or at least not as explicitly as I will.

1.DO NOT feel pressured to choose a subject by anyone!Things I have heard are it will look impressive, it is a good combination, you will stand out from other uni candidates etc these things will only be true IF you manage to do well in the subject and get a good grade no one really cares about what subjects you take unless the subjects are explicitly required by your course.What matters is the 3 letters you have to show for it not what you did.E.g. no one cares if you did subjects which people consider hard if you don't get a good grade at the end.

2.Pick subjects which you find relatively easy at GCSE and genuinely enjoy.There is no point picking subjects which you found incredibly hard or uninteresting because you are less likely to get a good grade and even if you do get a good grade you will have an incredibly miserable 2 years of your life hating every moment.A life where you dread getting up for 2 years of your life and genuinely dreading attending your lessons because you don't like your subjects is no life.2 years is a very long time of your life to feel unhappy.

3.If someone continues to pressure you to pick certain subjects they themselves should do those subjects because it will be you having to endure them for 2 years and actually get a good grade in the subject not them.

4.If you get good grades and go to what people consider a fairly reputable uni the course you do doesn't matter I think any way.

5.Your happiness should be a priority not your parents or anyone else's live your life for you not for anyone else.Do what makes you happy because if you are doing things which make you unhappy it will be you who is unhappy not your parents or anyone else.Also your mental health should always be your priority please cherish it and look after it.

6.My head of sixth form told me that in life she always did what made her happy from her a levels to her degree etc and you know what being a teacher is a very good job and she is a pretty good head of sixth form.The point is doing what you enjoy maybe isn't such a bad idea as it turned out quite well for her and she is good at what she does.

Why I think I am someone who can give you advice and my story

I picked maths, chemistry and biology for a level.I received A*'s in all my sciences and a 7 in maths however maths never came naturally to me.I picked those a levels because of uni course I wanted to do at the time required biology and chemistry.I only picked maths because everyone said do maths you will get a good future and it is a good combination.At the end I ended up with severe mental health problems and very unhappy because I hated waking up every morning and absolutely hated chemistry and maths.When someone has to endure something for so long it makes you really unhappy and consider whether life is worth living if you feel continuously unhappy and unsuccessful.So now I dropped chemistry and maths because I could get a good grade and get to grips with the subjects within the whole 2 years so I am only sitting the biology a level exam.I plan to do 2 more a levels afterwards.

If something is making you unhappy do not keep "sticking it out" it is ok to call it quits there is only so long that someone can be unhappy for.If someone is so smart and tells you to "stick it out" then they should do it not you because they won't suffer but it will be you who suffers.My biggest regret is for continuously trying to stick it out because it was apparently what the right thing to do and it wasn't in my case anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous1502; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
I think youve learned a lot, but you will find the expertienced posters have always given advice consistent with everything youve said but in a shorter format. Its not precise because everyone is different and we need to understand about the OP, what they like, dislike, where they are academically, what they aspire to, where they want to apply to etc. From there its possible to say what combination will work to get onto their course or uni of choice and taking into account their ability which A levels might serve them best in terms of creating options for the undecided, being acceptable for more competitive unis or getting them on their chosen course. In most cases grades are going to get you into a better uni and you shouldnt try and force yourself into a subject or course that doesnt fit.

Finish off your exams, see what you get and if it doesnt work, then there are always other options, so dont stress and just do your best.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am just trying to promote happiness, good mental health and give general advice.I think because the crap advice I have heard I ended up where I am today.
(Original post by 999tigger)
I think youve learned a lot, but you will find the expertienced posters have always given advice consistent with everything youve said but in a shorter format. Its not precise because everyone is different and we need to understand about the OP, what they like, dislike, where they are academically, what they aspire to, where they want to apply to etc. From there its possible to say what combination will work to get onto their course or uni of choice and taking into account their ability which A levels might serve them best in terms of creating options for the undecided, being acceptable for more competitive unis or getting them on their chosen course. In most cases grades are going to get you into a better uni and you shouldnt try and force yourself into a subject or course that doesnt fit.

Finish off your exams, see what you get and if it doesnt work, then there are always other options, so dont stress and just do your best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads