The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

some of my friends are like this. it also does annoy me when someone says they havent done any revision for an exam and keep moaning about how bad they are gunna do when you know they've done loads and worked overly hard. And when they complain about their result then find they have done better than you and say something like "thats really good for you"
Reply 21
I do that to an extent. If I get a low A on a practice paper I will strive to get higher to improve my knowledge for the day, and if I get a low A on an exam I will be tempted to resit in case I do badly at another module, but I don't show off about it and I'd be pretty damn satisfied with an A overall at the end of the year, no matter how low it was. It's just the bits in between people stress about. But yeah, it is annoying, I know what you mean. I knew a girl who resat an A* module at GCSE science, even though it was only worth 5%, because it was a low a* :rolleyes: . She's an annoying ****ing bastard though and still is, she's inconsiderate though, and tells people "I don't do Bs."
Reply 22
i know someone who is resitting an exam they have already got an A in . . .
Reply 23
Aleeece123
i find it a bit annoying sometimes, because really they won't get anything extra for getting a higher A* grade, but to be honest it annoys me if i get 99% or something, cos it's usually because i didn't read the question properly or something stupid like that, but i don't normally complain about it in front of other people, cos they get in a bit of a mood with me :smile:

Well, in Scotland anyway - there is an "extra" for getting a better percentage. Perhaps that's only an SQA thing, but if you do exceptionally well and get the top 5 per cent or whatever then it's noted and you're given a certificate or something. I was written to with regards to my Higher English essay, as it had been picked up as being an exceptional piece; however as it were to be, I unfortunately lost out.

I found out today I've passed my year and got an A to top it off, without being told my percentage - I'm happy enough with that! :smile:
I admit to doing that at times where i get an A* and no one really recognizes my achievement. It's just a form of getting attention from peers and my teacher so they can atleast praise me on doing well!
Reply 25
tigernteddy
...and in our science exam she said she never finished the paper and complained with the rest of us how hard it was and got full marks...arghhh i hate it when people do that...

I've complained about not finishing the paper/running out of time loads of times. All 3 biology modules I didn't finish - the first two by 5/6 marks each and then got an A* anyway in them (somehow :s-smilie:) - don't know about the third one yet. I was pleased/amazed with the results though, not complaining about them. Everyone has their own standards to reach. Just because they usually get good grades, doesn't make them immune from worrying. According to my french teacher, higher performing candidates generally have a lower perception of how well they've done in tests. I guess it's due to being more aware of every mistake.

I'd imagine most people saying something like the thread title, would be wondering where they dropped a mark because they thought they knew all the answers and had them all right, rather than because they're actually disappointed by the result.

Edit -
I admit to doing that at times where i get an A* and no one really recognizes my achievement. It's just a form of getting attention from peers and my teacher so they can atleast praise me on doing well!

That's... disgusting.
i agree
i feel so stupid at my school because i don't get straight a*s and forget that most "normal" people don't
x
I personally want A* in everything, although it's not possible for EVERYTHING. Although I'll be satisfied with whatever I get (as long as it's at least A for everything, except physics) but still I will say how I wanted A*.

All the * means is that you can't resit it. So really you shouldn't worry about a *, it's just a symbol to say you are no longer allowed to resit this exam. haha... I said that to somebody once and made them feel good..
Reply 28
Yep I get it all the time, my best mate is a freaking genius..gets 90%+ on ever paper. I don't get anywhere close most of the time..yet he still complains about not getting the full marks.
emilina

I almost did that. I got an A altogether but a C in a module and I thought I'd pick up more marks redoing the one I got an A in. Turns out I was probably right, they only let me do the one I got a C in, and I only got 2 more marks then the first time.
I remember being annoyed when I got 38/40 for one physics module while 40/40 for the other. It's not like "OMG!!11!! WTF?!? 78/80!!??! NOOOO!!!! I FAIL AT LIFE!!11!11! MUST RESIT!!!" or anything but still knowing you probably made a silly mistake is frustrating.

It's kinda like being 1 mark away from another grade, for example when I was like 2 marks from a C in RE :rolleyes: Epic Fail.
Reply 31
They probably spelt their name incorrectly :wink: :biggrin:
I am kind of one of those people, but I don't say it out loud, I just might think it sometimes. More annoying are the friends "argh I can't believe you got that, i hate you".
Gren1TI

I also know an idiot who says every test is piss easy in order to worry and intimidate others, it will be funny to see what he gets in August!

Same here, he's not exactly the brightest spark either.
It's honestly annoying to get a 99%, but really what does it help to complain.
Reply 35
emilina

My school actually encourages us to do that for modular exams.
Reply 36
Some people do that because you can get a certificate of acheivement that can go on ucas acknowledging that they got the highest in that paper but it is really annoying when they go on and on about it though
Yeah kind of reminds me of when only 5 people in our class got C or above in our history Jan modules. Whilst everyone else was staring at their E or U grade, my friend began to cry at her C. :rolleyes: I know that it was still quite a shock for her, but you'd think people would consider it in relation to everyone else's results!
I do it.
What's wrong with it?
If you don't get what you thought you could have gotten, then you haven't achieved anything; you've failed.
I failed maths because I didn't revise. I don't mean I got a D, I mean I didn't get an A*.
I was 1 mark off an A* in my English coursework, and complained loudly.
I already redrafted a piece of coursework that had 19/20 (though that was pruely because I believed it was unjust to have been marked down for using too many semi colons!) and that really annoyed people.

On the other hand, I don't outwardly complain about my art GCSE. The best I can hope for is a C, but that's because of my own laziness. Then again, I couldn't have achieved more than B anyway - I'm rubbish!

Rant over. People complain when they don't get Cs, why can't people complain when they don't get 100%?

Latest