Not improving in chemistry alevel - 10 days till first exam Watch

Orangeiswhite
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I dont seem to be improving at all in chemistry and like the title says my first exam in in 10 days. I know all the cotent for Paper 1 although i still find thermodynamics and particularly transition metals a bit hard. I have gone over them countless of times and I am slowly starting to get the hang of thermodynamics but there is no hope for transition metals. I have done as many papers as i can and i intend to do redo them all and all the questions packs,

i also make silly mistakes on the maths questions, so where i could get 5 marks ill get 3 for missing out a 0 or something.
Does anyone have any other tips that i can do ? i know it will take some all nighters and hardcore cramming and memorising the markscheme.
Avogadrocado
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Crash-course - she's the holy bible - just watch it until you A. go insane, b. learn, c. develop an unhealthy crush on Hank green and go to America to try and break up his marriage
Orangeiswhite
Rep:
?
but its american - will they have a different symballus to alevels tho?
(Original post by Avogadrocado)
Crash-course - she's the holy bible - just watch it until you A. go insane, b. learn, c. develop an unhealthy crush on Hank green and go to America to try and break up his marriage
Avogadrocado
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't heckin know - I'm in Australia!
(Original post by Orangeiswhite)
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
they probably will but if you've been over the content as many times as you say you should have a good understanding of what you actually need to know. it might help to get a different perspective on it as well!
thewaterbottle12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I dont seem to be improving at all in chemistry and like the title says my first exam in in 10 days. I know all the cotent for Paper 1 although i still find thermodynamics and particularly transition metals a bit hard. I have gone over them countless of times and I am slowly starting to get the hang of thermodynamics but there is no hope for transition metals. I have done as many papers as i can and i intend to do redo them all and all the questions packs,

i also make silly mistakes on the maths questions, so where i could get 5 marks ill get 3 for missing out a 0 or something.
Does anyone have any other tips that i can do ? i know it will take some all nighters and hardcore cramming and memorising the markscheme.
I feel the same tbh, but I actually like thermodynamics, it’s inorganic that’s an issue for me. I don’t think I’ll meet my firm offer tbh. Idk what exam board you do but have you looked at chemrevise? I went from a D to a B just by reading through their notes. I think at this point it’s best to understand the content before you do exam questions.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Orangeiswhite
Rep:
?
I'm at a B currently sometimes low B sometimes high B nearly into an A, I've been focusing on paper 1 as it's my first exam, but this week ill go over chemrevise organic section. I feel stagnant because I've been on a B for so long I don't know how to get that A. I do know the content, but its marks here and there and they will add up. Although saying this, I haven't been over practicals and I'm hopefully going to do that this week some times - in one of the all-nighters. I'm just going to memorise the answer to every single question I get wrong. It's not the maths questions that are the issue, as my methods are normally fine - unless we get an ugly mole question that makes no sense - it's more so the word questions and transition metals. I don't like the hydrogen fuel cell, but I am relatively ok with that.
(Original post by thewaterbottle12)
I feel the same tbh, but I actually like thermodynamics, it’s inorganic that’s an issue for me. I don’t think I’ll meet my firm offer tbh. Idk what exam board you do but have you looked at chemrevise? I went from a D to a B just by reading through their notes. I think at this point it’s best to understand the content before you do exam questions.
thewaterbottle12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm at a B currently sometimes low B sometimes high B nearly into an A, I've been focusing on paper 1 as it's my first exam, but this week ill go over chemrevise organic section. I feel stagnant because I've been on a B for so long I don't know how to get that A. I do know the content, but its marks here and there and they will add up. Although saying this, I haven't been over practicals and I'm hopefully going to do that this week some times - in one of the all-nighters. I'm just going to memorise the answer to every single question I get wrong. It's not the maths questions that are the issue, as my methods are normally fine - unless we get an ugly mole question that makes no sense - it's more so the word questions and transition metals. I don't like the hydrogen fuel cell, but I am relatively ok with that.
Oh ok. It’s seems that I misunderstood. I really wish I could give advice but I have no idea what to do myself. Worded questions tend to repeat themselves though so the markscheme is similar. Do you do AQA? Let’s just hope the exam isn’t too bad.
Dilof
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What in particular don't you understand about Transition Metals?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
be careful with memorising answers, it can be easy to not properly answer the question and just spit out the answer you learnt
smaiu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Inorganic is legit a memory test, what don't you understand about it?
thewaterbottle12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by smaiu)
Inorganic is legit a memory test, what don't you understand about it?
I can never seem to remember colour changes and equations. That being said, for most of year 1 the colour change is usually white precipitate😂
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
firstly, my dude, do not give up, u absolutely got this ok :thumbsup:

have you tried revising in a different way if you're having trouble remembering things?
sometimes also looking at someone doing the experiment on YouTube can get into your head - by actually seeing it! I'm not sure if you got to do the practical itself?

otherwise mind maps/writing it out u til you remember, look cover write check may work :dontknow:

u
can
do.
itttt :rave:
:party:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (175)
32.17%
The paper was reasonable (269)
49.45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
10.85%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
7.54%

Watched Threads