NotCreative
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am at university in the UK studying LLB and have just finished my first year.
I want to compare a few things at my university (Middlesex) with other universities to see what the norm is, so please can LLB students from other universities comment on how the following compare with their own experiences:

1. We have 4 modules in each year.
2. In first year, the maximum word limit for any essay was 1000
3. We have a module in the first year, English Legal System, which consists of only two 1000 word essays (45% each) and a 750 word essay (10%).
4. A 24 hour library with free printing
5. Most of the teaching staff are easily contactable and accessible and eager to help us
6. We had a mock exam which we needed to do remotely and we were promised feedback before our real exam - but we never had individual feedback and instead were given a model answer to the mock exam question in order to assess our own work. I was a bit annoyed about this and wondering if this kind of thing is common?
7. I think the whole of the first year was a bit too easy - nothing really challenging. Maybe it will get harder next year?
8. A lot of the content of the lectures was not assessed. Also we got told what subjects were going to be in the exams so we could focus on the right subjects.

Thanks in advance
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
1. Normal.
2. Not really -- ours were 2kish.
3. Normalish.
4. Free printing not that normal! But 24hr is, though many places which do not. E.g. Uni of Manc.
5. Normal.
6. Normal to do it remotely; not so normal that they tell you just to mark it. Sort of contradicts 5 if you cannot get teaching staff to bother to mark your work.
7. Not that normal tbh. Might be because it's Middlesex.
8. Depends what you mean by told subjects. If subjects which might be exam, normal. If subjects, out of those that might be in the exam, which will definitely be in the exam, not so normal.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by NotCreative)
I want to compare a few things at my university (Middlesex) with other universities to see what the norm is, so please can LLB students from other universities comment on how the following compare with their own experiences:

3. We have a module in the first year, English Legal System, which consists of only two 1000 word essays (45% each) and a 750 word essay (10%).
5. Most of the teaching staff are easily contactable and accessible and eager to help us
6. We had a mock exam which we needed to do remotely and we were promised feedback before our real exam - but we never had individual feedback and instead were given a model answer to the mock exam question in order to assess our own work. I was a bit annoyed about this and wondering if this kind of thing is common?
7. I think the whole of the first year was a bit too easy - nothing really challenging. Maybe it will get harder next year?
8. A lot of the content of the lectures was not assessed. Also we got told what subjects were going to be in the exams so we could focus on the right subjects.

Thanks in advance
I hope this didn't cost you the full £9,250?!
NotCreative
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
1. Normal.
2. Not really -- ours were 2kish.
3. Normalish.
4. Free printing not that normal! But 24hr is, though many places which do not. E.g. Uni of Manc.
5. Normal.
6. Normal to do it remotely; not so normal that they tell you just to mark it. Sort of contradicts 5 if you cannot get teaching staff to bother to mark your work.
7. Not that normal tbh. Might be because it's Middlesex.
8. Depends what you mean by told subjects. If subjects which might be exam, normal. If subjects, out of those that might be in the exam, which will definitely be in the exam, not so normal.
Thanks - are you at Manchester?
About 6 - yes I said "mostly". The only one who didn't respond to my emails quickly was the one who set the mock exam. I had to chase him and when he did eventually respond, he said there would be feedback - but there wasn't. I hope it was a one off and won't happen again.
As to 8 - we were told the subjects which "might" be in the exam and then those subjects actually were in the exam. I think that's effectively being told...

I know it might seem a bit self-defeating but I hope they are a bit stricter and more challenging in the rest of the course. I feel like my attention drifted towards the end because it wasn't demanding enough. It was all very relaxed which is not what we should expect in the legal profession!
NotCreative
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I hope this didn't cost you the full £9,250?!
Yes of course - not sure if I feel like it's value for money. At least we get free online textbooks and the library is good. Most of the teaching staff were very helpful.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Thanks in advance
Same.
1200-1600 depending on whether it's a 45-min or an hour-long essay.
Only exams.
Department gives us printing credits (which are enough for the occasional article or note-printing but not enough if you, say, are a regular mooter, or need to print every single document out)
Generally yes, it's the ****ing PhDs that's the problem. **** the PhDs. Faculty are v good at marking stuff, and they're more than happy to do it remotely.
Mock exams now available for all subjects, usually optional, many people choose not to do them or treat them as any other formative (i.e. something they can do in their own time at home). Model answers provided for most subjects, and they're very useful.
It's first year. Criminal law isn't that difficult.
Yeah, they tend to prefer depth, not breadth. And some questions ideally need reading outside the further reading list (particularly in first year when all reading lists were not that long).

Also, it's Middlesex. Last notable member of faculty was Alan Hunt in the 80s (and he's moved on). Start Y1 somewhere better if you're in the game for the challenge.
Last edited by JohanGRK; 3 months ago
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Thanks in advance
1) Yup same.
2) 1500.
3) All modules have exams.
4) No 24 hr lib. No free printing. (Alan Gilbert is 24 hrs tho and we were given like £10 worth of printing credit I think?)
5) Mostly. Some lecturers do not respond to individual emails during the exam periods tho, they make u post anonymously on Blackboard so everyone else can see the response.
6) We had Jan formatives and were given individual feedback, although they weren't as detailed as I would have liked.
7) what
8) Not explicitly told but a good law student should be able to deduce the topics through a combination of past year papers, sucking up to the lecturers + seminar leaders, and working on your third eye chakra.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Point 8 is the truest thing Jamie has ever said
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
1. We have 6 modules each year, 3 in each term.
2. The highest word limit we've had for an essay was 3k, the majority were 2.4k.
3. We didn't have a module on the English legal system, all of the "basics" if you will, were taught within the first two weeks and reiterated through the year.
4. We have 3 24/hour libraries, but are given a yearly allowance for printing, anything over that we had to pay for.
5. All of my tutors were pretty accessible and were happy to help if we had issues, some more so than others though.
6. We had a mock exam for each module, which took place in the form of an essay submitted on turnitin. These were given individual marks and feedback on how to improve for the real exam.
7. First year hasn't been "easy" as such, there's definitely been some challenges, but obviously some topics are subjectively easier than others.
8. We weren't told the topics of our exams, we had to deduce what to focus on from what we were guided towards in the lectures/seminars.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What's everyone on about, free printing?!

The ****.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

The ****.
Did Papa Noto not get his 9k's worth? :lol:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Did Papa Noto not get his 9k's worth? :lol:
I got it in other ways, dw about me, son.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I feel I've been scammed I'm pretty sure colour printing was £0.30 per page and black £0.05..... I got a printer because it genuinely ended up being cheaper....

The ****.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
I feel I've been scammed I'm pretty sure colour printing was £0.30 per page and black £0.05..... I got a printer because it genuinely ended up being cheaper....
Tbh I only used the printers for my self-service plane tickets.

And when severely procrastinating; deciding that walking to the library at 2am to print off 40 pages of notes is a good use of my time, 2 days before a major exam.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To be fair I am procrastinating as we speak, with my final exams in 3 days which incidentally decide my degree....
Tbh I only used the printers for my self-service plane tickets.

And when severely procrastinating; deciding that walking to the library at 2am to print off 40 pages of notes is a good use of my time, 2 days before a major exam.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
>imagine using paper for anything other than onboarding documentation
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
To be fair I am procrastinating as we speak, with my final exams in 3 days which incidentally decide my degree....
I'm the same right now... My last exam of the year on Tuesday and I've been sat here on TSR all day.
Convinced my procrastination is gonna be my failure. :lol:
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's funny how you do a difficult degree and I don't. Jokes on you!
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I'm the same right now... My last exam of the year on Tuesday and I've been sat here on TSR all day.
Convinced my procrastination is gonna be my failure. :lol:
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Point 8 is the truest thing Jamie has ever said
You do chakra meditations the night before every exam as well?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
You do chakra meditations the night before every exam as well?
No, but I use superstition to secure favourable exam topics

Mixed results thus far
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19