Is there a career in developmental linguistics?

Watch
bonfire_heart
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi all

I've been obsessing over my situation for about a year and after having endless discussions with friends and family, I thought I'd seek advice from other postgrad students / applicants.

In short, I got my BA in Public Relations from Bournemouth University and graduated with a first last year. While on placement in my second year, I realized that there was no way I wanted to do PR or Marketing for the rest of my life. Considering this, I applied for the MSc Applied Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh and, to my complete surprise, received an offer in April last year.

However, for the rest of the year I couldn't make up my mind about whether or not to pursue it. I simply felt burnt-out from my BA and was urging to get out of the UK. However, I worried that if I turned this down, I would never get another opportunity to do a Masters in a subject I care about at a top university, especially since I come from such a non-linguistic background.

In the end, I decided to email the university and ask for a 1 year deferral, which was granted. For the past year, I have worked in digital marketing in the UK, but this has only confirmed my feelings about not wanting to work in this field because I find it boring and unfulfilling. My feedback at my company has been excellent, but the truth is I spend most of my days researching other possible careers.

Unfortunately, I feel like without a masters in another subject, it would be very difficult for me to switch to another field (all my internships and my 2 years work experience relate to marketing/communications to some extent). I still have the possibility of going to Edinburgh, but I see no job prospects. I know I still have a passion for linguistics and if I didn't have to worry about a career, I would do it in a heartbeat (albeit switching to developmental linguistics which would be my preferred specialty). Furthermore, funding would not be a problem as my parents helped me finance my BA and would finance my MSc so I could graduate without debt.

Despite all this, my main problem is that I don't want to waste their money and a year of my life to only end up in marketing again. I feel like this the most popular career for people who don't know what to do with their degrees since there is always an abundance of open positions and it's very easy to pick up.

If that's the case, I may as well just gain another year experience and pray that one day another career opportunity will open up. Maybe I only hate it due to the industries I've worked in (chemical production and law) and not marketing itself. I wish I could know before having to make this big decision.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by bonfire_heart; 10 months ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by bonfire_heart)
Have you researched what graduates of the Edinburgh Linguistics MSc have gone on to do? The DLHE data should give some idea, and a bit of research on LinkedIn might give more clues. Using LinkedIn you might be able to actually contact someone who has done the course.
bonfire_heart
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I actually hadn't tried that, thanks! Might make a big difference to hear real stories rather than just researching potential job postings on Indeed etc.
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Have you researched what graduates of the Edinburgh Linguistics MSc have gone on to do? The DLHE data should give some idea, and a bit of research on LinkedIn might give more clues. Using LinkedIn you might be able to actually contact someone who has done the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads