This discussion is closed.
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Now that Paper 1 is out of the way, it would be nice to have somewhere to discuss revision and brainstorm ideas for Paper 2!

Evil Homer
Gwil
Rep:
?
I'm doing Paper 2B - Modern Times - with Spies, A Streetcar Named Desire and Skirrid Hill. I'm quite nervous as I think I need a lot of revision to be ready for this. I am also dreading the fact that it's only 2.30 hours, since timing isn't my strong point!

Is anyone else doing the same texts? Where are you at with revision?
CyannF
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing Skirrid Hill and then Streetcar and Handmaids. Very scared for this exam as you have to be so speedy.

How do you separate your time?
Gwil
Rep:
?
(Original post by CyannF)
I'm doing Skirrid Hill and then Streetcar and Handmaids. Very scared for this exam as you have to be so speedy.

How do you separate your time?
I try to give myself exactly 50 minutes for each section, including 10 minutes to plan and write the introduction, 35 minutes to write the body of the essay and 5 minutes to conclude. If necessary I will spend less time on the unseen and more on Section C.

How are you revising Streetcar? Do you have any predictions for Section C?
georgiaward34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm studying a street car named desire, and comparing handmaid's to the feminine gospels. I feel like I really messed up paper 1 due to panic and should've answered the society question for Gatsby instead of time, as I had so much context to include for society. Does anyone have any context, analysis, or perceptive ideas for handmaids that could possibly help me please, just feel so down and stressed out right now as I feel like I hardly showed off any of my knowledge !
whitneeyle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I’m doing spies, skirrid hill and streetcar
CyannF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh I think that is roughly what I do. And section C is a tough one because it needs to fit so many texts. Although I predicted the exact 'time' question on paper one (and I still screwed it up). I think could be something potentially with male dominance/patriarchy or class, or potentially mentality - think like the breakdown of characters, that's a very prominent theme that I don't think has come up yet.

For streetcar just a lot of essay practice with my other text so I know explicitly the comparisons, reading critical essays and then Seneca is good for a reminder of the scenes and context.
(Original post by Gwil)
I try to give myself exactly 50 minutes for each section, including 10 minutes to plan and write the introduction, 35 minutes to write the body of the essay and 5 minutes to conclude. If necessary I will spend less time on the unseen and more on Section C.

How are you revising Streetcar? Do you have any predictions for Section C?
CyannF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's exactly what happened to me too, I did time with Gatsby and pre-1900 and completely messed up, my links were tenuous.
(Original post by georgiaward34)
I'm studying a street car named desire, and comparing handmaid's to the feminine gospels. I feel like I really messed up paper 1 due to panic and should've answered the society question for Gatsby instead of time, as I had so much context to include for society. Does anyone have any context, analysis, or perceptive ideas for handmaids that could possibly help me please, just feel so down and stressed out right now as I feel like I hardly showed off any of my knowledge !
Gwil
Rep:
?
Yh I think that is roughly what I do. And section C is a tough one because it needs to fit so many texts. Although I predicted the exact 'time' question on paper one (and I still screwed it up). I think could be something potentially with male dominance/patriarchy or class, or potentially mentality - think like the breakdown of characters, that's a very prominent theme that I don't think has come up yet.

For streetcar just a lot of essay practice with my other text so I know explicitly the comparisons, reading critical essays and then Seneca is good for a reminder of the scenes and context.
Yes, I always find it hard to get the balance between the different texts right in Section C. Those are good ideas - the question in 2017 was on whether or not isolated characters are profoundly damaged, but other aspects of characters' mental lives haven't come up specifically before. I'm really hoping for it to be on identity or something similar. Moral norms or transgressions is another possibility, as is gender-related issues.

I'm trying to do a lot of practice essays, too. I'm also rereading the most important scenes and watching the film, which I haven't seen yet. As for the unseen, I've been doing the example ones on the AQA website.

(Original post by whitneeyle)
Hi! I’m doing spies, skirrid hill and streetcar
Cool! Which text are you planning on comparing with Spies in Section C? I'm probably going to compare Spies and Streetcar, but I'm also trying to be ready for the possibility of doing Spies and Skirrid together and doing Streetcar in Section A instead, depending on the questions.
humbert-humbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
anyone else doing feminine gospels??
CyannF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gwil)
Yes, I always find it hard to get the balance between the different texts right in Section C. Those are good ideas - the question in 2017 was on whether or not isolated characters are profoundly damaged, but other aspects of characters' mental lives haven't come up specifically before. I'm really hoping for it to be on identity or something similar. Moral norms or transgressions is another possibility, as is gender-related issues.

I'm trying to do a lot of practice essays, too. I'm also rereading the most important scenes and watching the film, which I haven't seen yet. As for the unseen, I've been doing the example ones on the AQA website.

Cool! Which text are you planning on comparing with Spies in Section C? I'm probably going to compare Spies and Streetcar, but I'm also trying to be ready for the possibility of doing Spies and Skirrid together and doing Streetcar in Section A instead, depending on the questions.
Yh, I don't think gender and social pressures/expectations have ever come up. Not even on AS by the looks of it. They aren't too bad themes either really.

Do you think there is any chance of violence, or is that too text specific?

Also, in my revision, I've been doing A01 sentences under the themes that could come up like these: (my texts are Handmaids and Streetcar)

Suffering:
Suffering is presented as the reason why characters lose hope within modern literature.
Suffering is presented as a result of oppressive societies lack of regard to individuals.
Contrastingly, whilst characters are presented as suffering within modern lit, ultimately they escape, putting an end to their suffrage.

Also done loneliness, hope, female unity, gender and unhappiness. If anybody wants me to share them I am more than happy to.
*Imy*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone doing any of the crime books?
WolfofGatsby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone doing War literature?
sarachel19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am in the exact same boat as you, I WISH I answered the society question and compared it to The Ruined Maid etc damn!!! I didn't add hardly enough context and my AO4 links to other texts I felt was pretty forced. Really don't feel like I did well on that paper at all

I recommend essay plans for Handmaids, what option are you doing for the paper? I have a long list of potential questions my teacher gave me for Streetcar on its own, and the comparison (we're comparing Handmaids and Duffy) but perhaps it could still help?
(Original post by georgiaward34)
choo_choo42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing Feminine Gospels then Handmaid's + Top Girls comparison. Mostly doing practice plans but also watching loads of YouTube clips and adaptations.

Anyone else doing the same texts?
Missbekahxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh, I don't think gender and social pressures/expectations have ever come up. Not even on AS by the looks of it. They aren't too bad themes either really.

Do you think there is any chance of violence, or is that too text specific?

Also, in my revision, I've been doing A01 sentences under the themes that could come up like these: (my texts are Handmaids and Streetcar)

Suffering:
Suffering is presented as the reason why characters lose hope within modern literature.
Suffering is presented as a result of oppressive societies lack of regard to individuals.
Contrastingly, whilst characters are presented as suffering within modern lit, ultimately they escape, putting an end to their suffrage.

Also done loneliness, hope, female unity, gender and unhappiness. If anybody wants me to share them I am more than happy to.
Could you please send me a copy of these! Xxx
Email [email protected]
ewarner2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by humbert-humbert)
anyone else doing feminine gospels??
i'm doing feminine gospels and can compare it with the color purple or the color purple with a streetcar named desire
username1987655
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by WolfofGatsby)
Anyone doing War literature?
Me! What texts do you study?
humbert-humbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
anyone else confused as to why this paper is shorter than the first one even though the number of marks is the same??
CyannF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Missbekahxo)
Could you please send me a copy of these! Xxx
Email [email protected]
Ofc
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (180)
44.33%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (45)
11.08%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (86)
21.18%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (40)
9.85%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.67%

Watched Threads