Can somebody mark this Geography A level essay and give more some feedback

Watch
PukkaLifeDerm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'd really appreciate this

‘Global governance is about a world where the rule of law governs the conduct of nations’ How far do you agree with this view?

Global governance is required in a globalised world due to the increased pressure of fragile global commons such as the oceans, Antartica, Atmosphere etc. Global governance however is very difficult as it requires global agreement on laws

It can be argued that global governance is about a world where the rule of law, governs the conduct of nations as law needs to be applied across the world, not just to individuals. For example, in Antartica it used to be previously inaccessible, but due to advancements in technology, many countries can now exploit raw materials such as iron ore in the transantarctic mountains. Although for governance to be sustainable the law must be applied to all which has proven to be a success in Antartica where the rule of law has successfully stopped the exploitation of natural resources such as he oil beneath the southern ocean

Although it can be argued that global governance isn’t just about the rule of law which governs the conduct of nations, as in future years, previous legislation may become outdated with loopholes, suggesting laws can become less useful and outdated. Also the size of some areas which require global governance can be a challenge to enforce these laws. For example in Antartica, the ASOC coalition has found fishing quotas to still be unsuitable due to a ineffective system for inspection. Therefore it may be that global governance, to be effective, factors like education may be more important in making sure areas such as global commons don’t get exploited, as this tackles the root cause and perhaps if people know the effects of their actions, they may cease to do it in the future. Although another line of view is that people already understand the harmful affects of their actions, but choose to continue due to being individualistic and looking out for themselves before the global commons.

However, it can be argued that the rule of law is the most significant thing that governs the conduct of nations, in order to achieve global governance, as it can be legally binding. For example, part of the Kyoto protocol to sustainably manage the amount of Co2 and warming of our atmosphere, was to limit Co2 production of certain countries E.g. EU agrees to reduce emissions by 8%. they could also work by a voucher system whereby nations trade ‘vouchers’ in order to gain more Co2 allowance, to release more Carbon into the atmosphere. Such schemes can be argued to be successful as the rule of law can be legally binding, and often has economic impacts for those nations who choose to break them. Although he Kyoto protocol, had only limited success in terms of the ‘law’ it produced to govern the conduct of nations, as Co2 emissions have risen 50% since the protocol, therefore other factors like systems for inspection need to be improved for global governance to work effectively.

To conclude, It is very important for global governance, that theres something legally binding to govern the conduct of nations, although this must be enforced properly to achieve success. The rule of law is the most important thing that governs the conduct of nations, particularly in areas which face exploitation, although other things like education and making sure people understand the importance global governance in ensuring sustainability for the future, without jeopardising the liveability of future generations, although undoubtedly a large part of global governance is a world which does appropriately enforce a rule of law to govern the conduct of nations
Levi23317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
0 marks
PukkaLifeDerm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
why
(Original post by Levi23317)
0 marks
Levi23317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PukkaLifeDerm)
why
Jk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (138)
42.59%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.73%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.99%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed