Arrangements question Watch

bigmansouf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Eight women and two men are to sit at a round table. If two men sit directly opposite each other in how many ways can the ten people be arranged?

I know that the answer is 8! = 40320

here is my thinking and i want your thoughts

There is a round table with ten seats around it.
two men sit directly opposite each other. Now I know that the position of the people relative to the table is of no consequence. Thus since the two men sit directly opposite each other, their positions are fixed.
Imagine two men sitting in two seats fixed directly opposite each other.
The only way to count the number of ways is to count the arrangement of the women. This will enable us to consider the position of the people relative to the two fixed men and each other

So, i subtracted 10-2 =8
since there are eight people the arrangement is 8!

Is my reasoning right?
mqb2766
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The only thing that you may want to comment on is why you don't consider the two men swapping places. So the answer is not 2*8!
(Original post by bigmansouf)
Eight women and two men are to sit at a round table. If two men sit directly opposite each other in how many ways can the ten people be arranged?

I know that the answer is 8! = 40320

here is my thinking and i want your thoughts

There is a round table with ten seats around it.
two men sit directly opposite each other. Now I know that the position of the people relative to the table is of no consequence. Thus since the two men sit directly opposite each other, their positions are fixed.
Imagine two men sitting in two seats fixed directly opposite each other.
The only way to count the number of ways is to count the arrangement of the women. This will enable us to consider the position of the people relative to the two fixed men and each other

So, i subtracted 10-2 =8
since there are eight people the arrangement is 8!

Is my reasoning right?
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
The only thing that you may want to comment on is why you don't consider the two men swapping places. So the answer is not 2*8!
I think the answer to that is since the two people position are fixed then their position relative to the table is of no consequence. We only need concern ourselves with those (mainly the 8 women) who can move and their position depends on the two men
mqb2766
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah, I don't think it requires a detailed explanation, but would be worth a mention. If you swapped the men over, you'd have already considered the women's arrangement relative to the new men position, so you're ok.
(Original post by bigmansouf)
I think the answer to that is since the two people position are fixed then their position relative to the table is of no consequence. We only need concern ourselves with those (mainly the 8 women) who can move and their position depends on the two men
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
thanks
(Original post by mqb2766)
Yeah, I don't think it requires a detailed explanation, but would be worth a mention. If you swapped the men over, you'd have already considered the women's arrangement relative to the new men position, so you're ok.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have to say, I'm used to using a bracelet or necklace in this scenario rather than a round table. I can't really see the justification for saying the absolute positions don't matter with a round table. (The person asking the question obviously disagrees!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (176)
32.12%
The paper was reasonable (271)
49.45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
10.95%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
7.48%

Watched Threads