Questions For The Vegan Watch

Mohammed SaIah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
1. Do you believe we are fit to consume animal? By this I mean do you appreciate that certain features or aspects indicate consumption of animal is appropriate for us.

2. Why do you not use animal products?

3. If an animal was able to give consent would it all be fine?

4. Do you feel it is your duty to stop various animals consuming eachother? Would you prevent lions from getting their food?

5. Do you believe in a matter of necessity? For example, saying animals can eat eachother if necessary? If so, does this not oppose your entire approach?

6. Can you be a Vegan and believe in God? A question to ask: would you eat or use animal if ordered by God? That is the God who created you and these very animals. That is the God who knows you best.

7. Do you think you have teeth designed for consumption of meat?

8. Do you think you have enzymes to digest animal proteins?

9. Is Veganism a choice?

10. Do you believe in objective morality?

11. Do most Vegans accept consumption of animals in cases of necessity? Still, why then take the life of an animal?

12. As a Vegan why do you promote food shortage? Imagine a world of a few billion Vegans. Are you going to snatch food from a poor man's hand? If not, will you still happily promote it.
Last edited by Mohammed SaIah; 4 weeks ago
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. certain features yes, others not.

2. dont need to, unncessary

3. no, still no need for it.

4. no, they eat other animals to survive, if they didnt, they would die

5. animals eat other animals so they dont die, their body requires nutrients only found in animal foods, they eat to prevent terrotorial invasion. Humans do not need to eat animals to survive, it is not an invasion of territory.

6. yes if you want. its dumb to believe that an all powerful being created sentient animals for the sole purpose of being tortured killed and eaten, but some idiots do actually believe that.

7. no, try eating raw meat from an animal carcass, not easy

8. yes, but not specific enzymes that are only used to digest animal proteins

9. yes?

10. no

11. i dont know most vegans so i cant answer that

12. i have no idea what you mean
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A lion has no ability to reason about anything, much less about ethics and metaethics. The legislating nature argument is so batshit stupid that it is laughable.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
people aren't only vegan for the animals, it's for their health, and the environment as well
Megxn0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You ask a lot of questions
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username2923348
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is painful to read.
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Megxn0)
You ask a lot of questions
And very few of them are clever!
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheRealSquiddy)
This is painful to read.
If you think these are bad, you should have seen his questions on atheism.
TasteLikeChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not vegan (my girlfriend is), but I see you're trying for the 'it's natural to eat meat' thing. And yes, I agree that early humans were opportunistic and ate whatever was available to them (there is evidence to support some early humans being plant based due to their environment). However, the natural argument is not a good one, as we don't live in a naturalistic, evolutionary world. Antibiotics aren't natural, nor are any other medicines or surgeries. I believe that most vegans believe in the minimisation of unnecessary suffering to animals (and many do have environmental and health concerns, but I think the ethical issue is the foremost one)but sometimes it can be seen as necessary for 'harm' to occur. A few examples are animal testing when it comes to medicines (no other alternative I'm afraid, we most certainly are 'speciesist '), harvesting honey for medicinal purposes (ethical honey farming does exist), etc.
username2923348
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
If you think these are bad, you should have seen his questions on atheism.
I was there in the thick of it. Apparently evolution doesn't exist because "there's no proof" made me laugh harder than I have in a while
Mohammed SaIah
Rep:
?
Pure honey is really nice to have first thing in the morning. I would agree with reducing unnecessary pain on animals.
(Original post by TasteLikeChicken)
I'm not vegan (my girlfriend is), but I see you're trying for the 'it's natural to eat meat' thing. And yes, I agree that early humans were opportunistic and ate whatever was available to them (there is evidence to support some early humans being plant based due to their environment). However, the natural argument is not a good one, as we don't live in a naturalistic, evolutionary world. Antibiotics aren't natural, nor are any other medicines or surgeries. I believe that most vegans believe in the minimisation of unnecessary suffering to animals (and many do have environmental and health concerns, but I think the ethical issue is the foremost one)but sometimes it can be seen as necessary for 'harm' to occur. A few examples are animal testing when it comes to medicines (no other alternative I'm afraid, we most certainly are 'speciesist '), harvesting honey for medicinal purposes (ethical honey farming does exist), etc.
Megxn0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mohammed SaIah)
What is the purpose behind your response?
Just an observation
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
A lion has no ability to reason about anything, much less about ethics and metaethics. The legislating nature argument is so batshit stupid that it is laughable.
And the award for Most Relevant But Most Difficult Post To Adequately Address By The Fanatics goes to...
Findingfayy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. Do you believe we are fit to consume animal? By this I mean do you appreciate that certain features or aspects indicate consumption of animal is appropriate for us.

Yes, we are fit too, but we don't have to.

2. Why do you not use animal products?

Because its highly unethical, simply unnecessary, and is better for the environment.

3. If an animal was able to give consent would it all be fine?

A dumb question, if I had to answer then sure, but this is not plausible anyway.

4. Do you feel it is your duty to stop various animals consuming eachother? Would you prevent lions from getting their food?

No, obviously not, because it is necessary for them to eat meat. It is not for us.

5. Do you believe in a matter of necessity? For example, saying animals can eat eachother if necessary? If so, does this not oppose your entire approach?

Yes, it is all about necessity. But it is not necessary for humans to eat anything from animals. We have a vast range of plants to eat that fulfill our nutritional needs. The world health organisation and the NHS state a vegan diet is perfectly fine and healthy for anyone of any age. So whne you eat animals you are causing uncessary pain and suffering, which is morally wrong.

6. Can you be a Vegan and believe in God? A question to ask: would you eat or use animal if ordered by God? That is the God who created you and these very animals. That is the God who knows you best.

God is dead sorry bro

7. Do you think you have teeth designed for consumption of meat?

Not really. Our canines are insanely small, compared to carnivores and even omnivores. If you had to rip a cow in half with your teeth... I don't think you'd be capable.

8. Do you think you have enzymes to digest animal proteins?

Yes, but those proteins cause lots of ill health too. It's still uncessary.

9. Is Veganism a choice?

Obviously. Not sure how that's a question.

10. Do you believe in objective morality?

Finally an actual relatively interesting question. I would say on certain matters, like killing sentient beings for no necessity, is objectively immoral, but say breaking the law can be subjective.

11. Do most Vegans accept consumption of animals in cases of necessity? Still, why then take the life of an animal?

If its necessary, like in third world countries where people are starving, or people living in extreme environments like desserts or frozen environments, of course it is necessary. A big shame for the animal yes, and it still doesn't sit right with me, but it's all about necessity. I don't value animals lives over human lives, so if it's necessary for a human to eat animals then so be it. But in most circumstances its not.

12. As a Vegan why do you promote food shortage? Imagine a world of a few billion Vegans. Are you going to snatch food from a poor man's hand? If not, will you still happily promote it.

What the chuff is this supposed to even mean. Being vegan prevents food shortage, as eating animals requires you to first raise an animal... By feeding it... When you could have just used those crops to make food for yourselves...
Hope that helps. I've been vegan almost sot four years.
MariannaL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am vegan and I believe in God.
Don’t eat animal products because the way the industries run is cruel and exploitative. I believe it probably isn’t so cruel if you have your own private egg farm and don’t harm the animals but haven’t looked into that.
Yes veganism is a choice but I don’t think that it is right to murder animals for pleasure as you can survive without them.
Off course it is acceptable to eat meat if you have no other option.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
And the award for Most Relevant But Most Difficult Post To Adequately Address By The Fanatics goes to...
I teach on animal ethics and have done for years, and without fail a proportion of students will base an assessed essay around this 'argument'. It simply fails. I'm not sure that there is any possible way to make it work. Maybe if lions developed language and industrialised factory farming, eh.
Mohammed SaIah
Rep:
?
If you don't mind me asking, what purposes do you think animals created by God have?
(Original post by MariannaL)
I am vegan and I believe in God.
Don’t eat animal products because the way the industries run is cruel and exploitative. I believe it probably isn’t so cruel if you have your own private egg farm and don’t harm the animals but haven’t looked into that.
Yes veganism is a choice but I don’t think that it is right to murder animals for pleasure as you can survive without them.
Off course it is acceptable to eat meat if you have no other option.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"The vegan"
This is some level 0 carnism
1. Yes
2. Unethical
3. Give consent for what? I would not willingly cause suffering like that just because they consent to it.
4. This is impossible. And I presume they eat each other due to necessity.
5. Animals can ear each other due to necessity. Consumption of animal products contributes to suffering and is unnecessary so I don't.
6. It's possible. That view of animals is not shared by all theists/theistic religions
7. "Designed", no. Evolved, I think so
8. I think so
9. I don't think any beliefs are "choices" but acting accordingly is a "choice"
10. My views on morality are similar to Alex J O'Connor. So kinda
11. I believe immoral acts are justified in necessity. Mostly
12. WTF?
Last edited by Obolinda; 4 weeks ago
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you could answer most of these questions yourself by just thinking rationally for about 5 seconds
MariannaL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you don't mind me asking, what purposes do you think animals created by God have?
To live freely like us. Off course they don’t have a conscience and will like us but they’re free to live. Just like for example we don’t eat certain animals, and they have no real use to humans, God (if you believe he created everything) also created them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads