Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stimulant Drinks on Morning of Exams Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Like a lot of people i got exams tomorrow morning and afternoon and seeing as im only going to get 4 hours sleep tops im going to need help staying awake for my afternoon exams. Ignoring the effects of only having 4 hours sleep on my exams, what do people think of having a lot of stimulation drink i.e. Rebull etc in the morning or coffee etc would it be more productive and keep you awake and live for your exams or less alert and unproductive.

ReputationRep:
    Dont.

ReputationRep:
    hi again..
    Im hooked on red bull whilst i revise.
    I dont want to risk going in an exam drinking it, the exam invigilator told me it messes with your mind.

I dunno - try it and tell me what happened

ReputationRep:
    i personally like having a red bull or something similar before an exam, because it helps give me the concentration and energy to write lots.

however some people may say it makes you too energetic.

one point is, they tend to give an energy high, then a slump. try and make sure the slump isnt mid exam

good luck though

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I wouldn't go as far as Red Bull, because that's a bit extreme and can make people go a bit hyper. Maybe a cup of coffee/tea or a can or two of Diet Coke? I pretty much replace an hour's sleep with a Diet Coke or two throughout the day, and it seems to work well.

ReputationRep:
    How are you only going to get 4 hours sleep?

ReputationRep:
    1 can or cup of cofee would probably be good but dont overdo it or it will make you stress out more and question all your answers.

I drank a litre of Blue charge(red bull rip-off) before a presentation then ended up standing infront of the projector, blinding myself panicking and then reading it off the sheet as fast as possible. Not good.

God knows what would of happened in an exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitterendx)
    How are you only going to get 4 hours sleep?
    Well depends on what time i go to sleep now, but i want to be up by 4am, as i usually do a past paper or two before i go in for my exam as i find its really really helpful for me anyway, rather than going in all fresh

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who drink loads of redbull around exam times and on the morning of exams.. it doesn't give you any edge whatsoever.

It sets you up for a fall.

ReputationRep:
    Have tea in the morning, then the best thing to drink is water. After all the brain is 77-78% water. In terms of energy, fruit is what i recommend, since they give natural sugars for the body. This means you shouldnt become too enegetic and then suffer from a sugar crash half way through the exam(s). Finally for the afternoon exams, i like to have a nice meaty lunch, since going into an exam hungry can be counter productive. Dont eat too much though, as you can feel sleepy.

ReputationRep:
    Try sugar rather than caffeine?

I needed some this morning... woke up 10 minutes before I had to leave for the exam Managed to salvage some ribena from a vending machine, helped a bit...

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink anything special before exams, I drink what I usually drink. Which is loads of coffee, doesn't have any affect on me though, I think you'd do the same regardless of what you drink/eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I hate people who drink loads of redbull around exam times and on the morning of exams.. it doesn't give you any edge whatsoever.

It sets you up for a fall.
    Hmm, I tend to find if I have a cup of coffee or have some energy drink before the exam I can concentrate better. Or even some chocolate. Maybe its just psychological?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daruishraz)
    hi again..
    Im hooked on red bull whilst i revise.
    I dont want to risk going in an exam drinking it, the exam invigilator told me it messes with your mind.

I dunno - try it and tell me what happened

sure it messes with your mind

its not going to improve your energy or concentration immediately

ReputationRep:
    OP stop wasting time on tsr and go to sleep. It will help, after all tsr will not help you in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I know the daughter of the guy who invented red bull ooooh... lol

Anyway, bad idea. It won't make you any smarter, so maybe have a "power nap" if you feel tired.
    The pre-exam nerves usually send the adrenaline pumping anyway, which keeps you alert

ReputationRep:
    I always drink a cup of tea, although I always drink a cup of tea in the morning anyway, and probably have around five cups a day so it's normal.

I wouldn't have Redbull before an exam, especially if you haven't done so before as you don't know you will react. Obviously if you're feeling very tired, then you probably should have some alongside some food.

ReputationRep:
    if youre only going to sleep for four hours you need to eat and drink well and yeah you could do with a coffee or two

ReputationRep:
    what about lucozade?bad or good before an exam?

ReputationRep:
    personally. waking up at 4am, would imo, be a bad idea. why don't you do a past paper before bed?

or you should have considered your revision slightly more, as waking up too early will definatly tire you out.

*shrug*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.