A Level choices for a Law degree Watch

Secretlyanidiot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve chosen English literature, Economics and Modern History for certain, however I am still yet to decide between german and politics for my 4th A Level. Wondered if either would have an edge for university applications? I’ve deliberately not chosen the Law A level as I’ve been advised against it and I want to also keep my options open even though I’m pretty set on law. Thanks for any advice
wordsandroses
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Both have value to them. Which do you enjoy the most? (Or are most interested in?)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
StudentInDebt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree. Both have value
German may give you an edge simply because languages are highly valued
Politics is also good for understanding the political climate
I do Politics and I'll admit, it's best not to pick it if you're adverse to work; then again German isn't easy either
Good luck in choosing, either one will be great!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Secretlyanidiot)
I’ve chosen English literature, Economics and Modern History for certain, however I am still yet to decide between german and politics for my 4th A Level. Wondered if either would have an edge for university applications? I’ve deliberately not chosen the Law A level as I’ve been advised against it and I want to also keep my options open even though I’m pretty set on law. Thanks for any advice
Why are you even doing a fourth A level, when your offer will be for three?
Secretlyanidiot
Rep:
?
I have to do 4 with the sixth form I’m planning on going to. If not I’d have to choose 3 with an enrichment course, which doesn’t really interest me
(Original post by Reality Check)
Why are you even doing a fourth A level, when your offer will be for three?
wordsandroses
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have to do 4 with the sixth form I’m planning on going to. If not I’d have to choose 3 with an enrichment course, which doesn’t really interest me
My sixth form had to either do 4 alevels, 3 with an enrichment or 3 with an AS and honestly enrichment can be rewarding (EPQ for example) but I got bored and decided to do an AS
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd plan to go to a different sixth form, then. Honestly - these places don't help candidates get over this idea that somehow four A levels are preferable to three.

If you don't have a choice in the matter, and you have to take four, then I'd certainly not do German. MFLs are renowned for being tough and time consuming, and unless you have a real flair for it, and got a good A* at GCSE, you're setting yourself up for trouble. MFLs are great for law (I did French), but you've got to have the time and space in the curriculum to dedicate to them.
Secretlyanidiot
Rep:
?
I’m looking at getting either a 7 or an 8 (so A and above territory) in German at GCSE and I do really enjoy it but you make a good point. My other option is to go to a college and do politics economics and history, so only 3 A levels
I'd plan to go to a different sixth form, then. Honestly - these places don't help candidates get over this idea that somehow four A levels are preferable to three.

If you don't have a choice in the matter, and you have to take four, then I'd certainly not do German. MFLs are renowned for being tough and time consuming, and unless you have a real flair for it, and got a good A* at GCSE, you're setting yourself up for trouble. MFLs are great for law (I did French), but you've got to have the time and space in the curriculum to dedicate to them.
aesthete1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m looking at getting either a 7 or an 8 (so A and above territory) in German at GCSE and I do really enjoy it but you make a good point. My other option is to go to a college and do politics economics and history, so only 3 A levels
three a levels really are plenty, there is no advantage to doing 4 for a law application and it may in fact be a hindrance due to the extra work load and exams. much better to get say AAA than AABB when your offer will be for three grades. if you prefer the sixth form then I'd recommend doing a low commitment enrichment option, or just go to the college
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would always recommend doing three outstandingly, rather than two excellently - but there may be other factors such as the quality of education which make your decision for you with the college choice.
blue2019
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
honestly speaking not many universities care for what subjects you take at A level. as long as your personal statement is great you have the right amount of grades required they will take you in...considering which A level to suit your dream undergrad course is only really applicable to medical students as they require some sort of science.

the only thing that will put you at an edge and a better candidate is heck load of experience do shadowing (like shadow a solicitor), work experience at law firm or even watch law lectures may be look at university taster courses on law to show your interest. because hundred others do same subjects as you so that ain't gonna put you at an edge other than more tariff points
Last edited by blue2019; 4 weeks ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Noooo, we need more linguists.

That said, I don't think the languages themselves are as difficult as many people consider them to be. I honestly do think the problem is that the MFL courses are somewhat dated and that many of the language teachers don't know how to efficiently teach languages to children.

I remember doing really well in French in primary and getting worse at high school due to horrible teachers. I started Spanish and although I was a complete beginner at it, I excelled because of my teacher. Due to my Spanish improving, my French also drastically improved even when my teacher was horrible. At university, I pursued both French and Spanish and started Japanese. My Japanese tutors at uni were fantastic (as were my French and Spanish ones) and within the span of 3 years at university, my Japanese outgrew both my romance languages.

I really do wish language education at high school was more similar to how its done at university. It's such a huge difference. It's hard to offer specifics because it's been so long since I was at high school, but continuous assessment is very important as we as full language immersion within the classroom. The content should also be of interest to students.

To the OP - consider doing German. You may never get the chance to study it at this level again, and in the future should you choose to revisit the language, it'll be that much easier than starting from the beginning. It'll also help you in picking up new languages.
Disclaimer - it might be a little difficult though. Just keep at it and you'll do well!
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads