Jobs that you feel should pay more/less

Watch
FemaleinDress
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can be any I will start
More Teachers Nurses Police
Less Sports Stars Reality TV stars Bankers
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
People should be paid by market forces, wages are driven by supply and demand.

If there are hundreds of thousands of Premier league quality footballers on the street out there, then their wages will be much lower.

Sadly we can't afford to pay people according to their contribution to society and the profession's perceived status.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)

If there are hundreds of thousands of Premier league quality footballers on the street out there, then their wages will be much lower.
/thread
username2923348
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FemaleinDress)
Can be any I will start
I'd personally say the police are paid just fine.
delayedsc
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Definitely doctors and healthcare professions should be paid more
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Sports Stars Reality TV stars
Then stop watching TV
That'sGreat
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, people are paid depending on market value for the most part, whilst it would be great for nurses to be paid more, the truth of the matter is that the barriers of entry are pretty low and as a result, so is the pay. Teachers are probably the only ones who should get a pay increase.

As for pay decreases, I can't think of any
watershower
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Bin (wo)men, cleaners, waiters and waitresses, teachers, construction workers..
But hey hoh it’s just life...
zxvs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Sadly we can't afford to pay people according to their contribution to society and the profession's perceived status.
obvious economist in the thread
wage differentials according to mrp theory
Neilos
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There aren't many jobs that I think are grossly over or underpaid... maybe care workers and teaching assistants, but that's about it.
username738914
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
you're proposing a system where you can "set" the wages of individual occupations centrally..

that's a pretty totalitarian proposition that pretty much goes against all modern notions of democracy.

fact is, compensation is set by the market and what the market values will determine how much different occupations get paid. in positions that are funded by the state (aka your taxes), there is downward pressure to reduce cost so the wages aren't actually representative of what they really are (either positively or negatively)

a lot of things go into the process to value the market rate including things like scarcity (or simply supply/demand) or economies of scale.

for instance motion picture/TV stars can get paid so much precisely because a) very few people are capable of being one, b) there is a lot of demand for good talent in motion picture/TV by consumers and c) economies of scale mean that a movie can gross $1bn+ but the cost to actually get the movie made is only a fraction of that and the headcount required is relatively very small.

Same with bankers.. large transactions that shape our economy being structured and negotiated by relatively few people for a small fee. Same again with other high paying jobs.

By saying "nurses should get paid more" what you're really saying is you're willing to sacrifice spending in other areas of the government to do that or are willing to increase your own taxes. there are relatively large number of nurses and the barriers to entry are nowhere near as intense as it is to get into medicine or banking or some other top job
Last edited by username738914; 2 years ago
gr8wizard10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
you're proposing a system where you can "set" the wages of individual occupations centrally..

that's a pretty totalitarian proposition that pretty much goes against all modern notions of democracy.

fact is, compensation is set by the market and what the market values will determine how much different occupations get paid. in positions that are funded by the state (aka your taxes), there is downward pressure to reduce cost so the wages aren't actually representative of what they really are (either positively or negatively)

a lot of things go into the process to value the market rate including things like scarcity (or simply supply/demand) or economies of scale.

for instance motion picture/TV stars can get paid so much precisely because a) very few people are capable of being one, b) there is a lot of demand for good talent in motion picture/TV by consumers and c) economies of scale mean that a movie can gross $1bn+ but the cost to actually get the movie made is only a fraction of that and the headcount required is relatively very small.

Same with bankers.. large transactions that shape our economy being structured and negotiated by relatively few people for a small fee. Same again with other high paying jobs.

By saying "nurses should get paid more" what you're really saying is you're willing to sacrifice spending in other areas of the government to do that or are willing to increase your own taxes. there are relatively large number of nurses and the barriers to entry are nowhere near as intense as it is to get into medicine or banking or some other top job
hit the nail on the head.

the market should determine the equilibrium for different job roles
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
🔼 School teachers
🔼 Teaching assistants
🔼 Bus Drivers
🔼 Tram Drivers
🔼 Firefighters
🔼 GPs
🔼 Content Moderators

🔽 University vice-chancellor
🔽 University lectures
🔽 Train Drivers
🔽 Pilots (But their training costs, should be funded by airlines as per trains)
🔽 CEOs
🔽 Lawyers
🔽 Surgeons
🔽 Dentists
DarthRoar
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by centraltrains)
stuff
Dumb
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Neilos)
There aren't many jobs that I think are grossly over or underpaid... maybe care workers and teaching assistants, but that's about it.
Why teaching assistants? Its a very desirable job in most areas as very low hours which fit in perfectly with child care. Plus you can game/ utilise government benefits in a lot of cases.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Feel doctor and nurses should be paid more for their service to our country
PEWWDIEPIE
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Can be any I will start
I agree with the reality stars, 'some' youtubers, I don't know anymore, actually, I am not sure about who to pick for 'less' cause I guess every job is hard in its own way.
For more, I would say, Astronauts, (Apparently, the ones in NASA are not paid enough), scientists, mathematicians, and definitely the engineers and people part of the defense of a country (army).
zxvs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
hit the nail on the head.

the market should determine the equilibrium for different job roles
agree with the most part, but seeing as market forces only consider supply and demand not any external benefits and costs (and rather only marginal product revenue)... would you not say this could lead to market failure in some cases and therefore requires govt intervention?
Andrew97
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
People saying nurses should be paid more.

How much more? Where do you propose we get this money from?

Edit. NHS staff also get discounts from a large chunk of places. So I would argue that they would require less payment than people in other professions.

As people say, it’s supply and demand.
Last edited by Andrew97; 2 years ago
UrBusted
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by centraltrains)
🔽 University vice-chancellor
🔽 University lectures
🔽 Train Drivers
🔽 Pilots (But their training costs, should be funded by airlines as per trains)
🔽 CEOs
🔽 Lawyers
🔽 Surgeons
🔽 Dentists
After getting your pilot certificate, you have to spend x amount of hundreds of hours flying to be allowed to be a commercial pilot. No airline will fund that many hours of plane use, the certifications of around 120k, the 30k needed to learn how to fly each plane per plane etc. Also, the amount of time they have to spend in the air, and other countries when they just want to go home. The rest you've listed also have some of the worst conditions, the amount that has to be sacrificed to get to the position to earn that amount of money including family life and free time. You don't earn a lot of $$$ in those fields without doing so. You may think that lecturers don't due to how many working hours they have, but read their pages and you'll be able to see research that they've spent ~10 hours daily for years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (118)
33.71%
Yes - a trusted person (95)
27.14%
No (93)
26.57%
I'm not sure (44)
12.57%

Watched Threads