hand-write or type notes at uni? Watch

jesspelling
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i'm doing my alevels right now, and was just wondering whether people find it easier to hand write or type their notes at uni?

i'm going to be doing psychology

if most people say type then i deffo need a new laptop because mine's battery life is shocking skjskjs
MilkshakeMalties
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First years love writing everything down, definitely easier to use a laptop.

However some people find that notes stick in your head more if you hand write them.

I did my reading notes on a computer but lectures by hand.
jesspelling
Rep:
?
ahh okay that makes sense, i feel like i'll most likely take lecture notes by hand too
(Original post by MilkshakeMalties)
First years love writing everything down, definitely easier to use a laptop.

However some people find that notes stick in your head more if you hand write them.

I did my reading notes on a computer but lectures by hand.
MilkshakeMalties
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jesspelling)
ahh okay that makes sense, i feel like i'll most likely take lecture notes by hand too
Reading for me was 100s of pages a week. Doing all the notes by hand was just so time consuming. A 50 minute lecture doesn't have nearly as much material in it. I think that's the most effective way of doing it.
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
typing is easiest for most people as you can then edit them easily after the lecturer and can do things shorthand during to save you time
watershower
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Uni life seems wild
jesspelling
Rep:
?
(Original post by MilkshakeMalties)
Reading for me was 100s of pages a week. Doing all the notes by hand was just so time consuming. A 50 minute lecture doesn't have nearly as much material in it. I think that's the most effective way of doing it.
omg so much reading !! so typing for reading notes and hand writing for lectures, sounds good. thanks!!
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I prefer typing mine as I'm a pretty slow writer.

I'll go back and make a more condensed version of written notes at the end of the day though, helps it stick and it's easier to refer back to.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely typed up notes, I can't read my own handwriting. :laugh: I was that kid who got his handwriting pen confiscated at primary school and had to use a pencil.
jesspelling
Rep:
?
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Definitely typed up notes, I can't read my own handwriting. :laugh: I was that kid who got his handwriting pen confiscated at primary school and had to use a pencil.
omg how did you get through alevels?? sjksjk
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure I got marks deducted based on my rather incomprehensible writing. :laugh: A few of my teachers genuinely said you need to improve your handwriting. Half the A-levels I did were actually essay based too. :rofl:
omg how did you get through alevels?? sjksjk
jesspelling
Rep:
?
that's iconic :rofl:
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
I'm pretty sure I got marks deducted based on my rather incomprehensible writing. :laugh: A few of my teachers genuinely said you need to improve your handwriting. Half the A-levels I did were actually essay based too. :ro
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I always hand-write my notes, and during both my previous degrees people using laptops in lectures were definitely in the minority.

I guess I feel more connected to my notes when they are in my own handwriting and phrased in ways that make sense to me, as opposed to typed font on a screen.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I type everything because I hate looking at my ugly handwriting :yes:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
watevs works for you
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I take my laptop. It's impossible to keep up with the speed my lecturers talk at otherwise. Typing + shorthand = often don't miss a thing.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So it took me 4 years of uni to get the right answer to this so do consider my advice not to do either if possible. Print off the lecture ppt slides before the lecture and annotate them.
i'm doing my alevels right now, and was just wondering whether people find it easier to hand write or type their notes at uni?

if most people say type then i deffo need a new laptop because mine's battery life is shocking skjskjs
hallamstudents
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hey, its really up to you! You can either print out lectures and write notes next to them or do it on your laptop. I found printing expensive so did it on my laptop
Sophia
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I always handwrote stuff. The research suggests that handwritten is better for data retention, so I suppose it serves you well to handwrite at some point in the process.
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I tried printing lectures to write notes next to them but in the end found it expensive. Now I just type up notes on a word document throughout the lecture and then I compare and add to my own handwritten notes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (335)
15.62%
The paper was reasonable (1169)
54.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (464)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (177)
8.25%

Watched Threads