hand-write or type notes at uni? Watch

jesspelling
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
okay sounds good! cheers
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
So it took me 4 years of uni to get the right answer to this so do consider my advice not to do either if possible. Print off the lecture ppt slides before the lecture and annotate them.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im in my first year of uni doing psychology! Im a really fast writer but still struggle to keep up with hand written notes. Obviously, it depends on the class, some lectures are 2 hours with 70 powerpoint slides where the lecturer just reads straight off them, others are an hour long with 15 slides with little information, and most of what you need to know is from what the lecturer says and from the reading. I have taken my laptop in and i do like that method as long as you keep your files organised, theres a notes section for each slide on powerpoint where you can write notes about what the lecturer says or just use a split screen. Having a laptop also allows you to look as slides for longer if you didnt quite catch something. But for me taking a laptop isnt something i could do everyday, so i came up with the solution of typing up my notes and printing them out. I leave a column/margin on the right hand side to write additional notes of what the lecturer says and that is what works best for me. But obviously it depends on what you have accessible to you, the first year doesnt count so its a time for trial and error, experiment with things like note taking and revision to find what works best! I literally only found the best note taking method for me two weeks before summer exams!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
I tried printing lectures to write notes next to them but in the end found it expensive. Now I just type up notes on a word document throughout the lecture and then I compare and add to my own handwritten notes.
i bet print credits aren't anywhere near as expensive as a degree lmao
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My degree is free, I’m from Scotland
i bet print credits aren't anywhere near as expensive as a degree lmao
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd write by hand, I find it helps me remember better
Strelzo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jesspelling)
i'm doing my alevels right now, and was just wondering whether people find it easier to hand write or type their notes at uni?

i'm going to be doing psychology

if most people say type then i deffo need a new laptop because mine's battery life is shocking skjskjs
When I go to University hopefully next September, I'm going to type my notes out while in the lecture; I am a lot faster at typing, generally hitting about 60+ words per minute. I'm also in a similar situation to you; I've had a laptop that was very good to begin with (HP laptop that was made more appropriately for gaming) but 4 years down the line, the battery just completely broke. This meant I had to invest in one online, leaving me with about 2 hours before it runs out (including the battery consumption when it is closed.) which is a 6 hour decrease from having 8 hours of battery.

However, once arriving back from the lectures, I plan to write out my notes (personally, I find writing out notes a lot better for me; it sticks in my brain more, and has been proven scientifically.) It may also be a shout to perhaps record some parts of the lecture if you can't keep up to speed? I'm not really sure about this, but it certainly would mean you wouldn't miss out on any information.
Last edited by Strelzo; 2 weeks ago
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My degree is free, I’m from Scotland
not your accomoo tho
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I live at home with my parents... saved a lot of money that way as my university is in my city anyway and only a short distance away. I don’t see why I’d use print credits when I can just type things up. I learn a lot better that way anyways. I didn’t take out a student loan either..:
not your accomoo tho
Last edited by Fermion.; 2 weeks ago
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
well you're gonna be very rich then
I live at home with my parents... saved a lot of money that way as my university is in my city anyway and only a short distance away. I don’t see why I’d use print credits when I can just type things up. I learn a lot better that way anyways. I didn’t take out a student loan either..:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads