What can I do with a 3rd class degree? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Feel useless, what the hell am i supposed to do with a 3rd class degree?

My grades have been rubbish across the 3 years no matter how hard I tried, my efforts were useless. Just handed in final module worth 60% of the year which I'll most likely fail or get a 3rd if I'm lucky and then I'll graduate with a 3rd if I pass resits.

What did I expect for doing a subject I've never studied before? I should have done the subject I studied at college, I know I would have gotten good grades but I didn't do it because I didn't want to do more of that subject and wouldn't have enjoyed it. I have enjoyed my degree but haven't done well academically and feel as if I've lost 3 years of my life for nothing. All I've got from it is lack of sleep and stress meeting coursework deadlines. I wish I'd never gone to uni now, if I could go back I wouldn't have gone but it's too late and now I have nearly 40k in student loans to pay back. What am I supposed to do now? I won't be able to get a job with this degree although I've been told employers won't asks for grades for this subject, on my cv they'll see if got a degree in the subject and will be interested. If not then maybe I could use my college qualifications because my grades were much better then. I really don't know what I'm going to do. I have a resit deadline for July and if I've failed the final module I'll have to resit that for the same deadline. I know I'll pass them, I've had a resit before and passed but what after? What am I supposed to do?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
EDIT; Felt bad
Zoe_freakxox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
so no one has anything actually encouraging or nice to say then? 🤔 I myself have no clue only just waiting to go into my first year of uni but would be interested to see anything actually useful to the post as this is a worry of mine too, what if I go to university and don't do well
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zoe_freakxox)
so no one has anything actually encouraging or nice to say then? 🤔 I myself have no clue only just waiting to go into my first year of uni but would be interested to see anything actually useful to the post as this is a worry of mine too, what if I go to university and don't do well
If you know you may get a third or won’t do well at a course you should drop out or consider another course. Thirds are useless
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:hugs: feel you OP, am just going into final year but find uni such a struggle
Do you study something creative? could be worth building up a portfolio/doing some freelance type of work to build up experience?
Fuego1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

My grades have been rubbish across the 3 years no matter how hard I tried, my efforts were useless. Just handed in final module worth 60% of the year which I'll most likely fail or get a 3rd if I'm lucky and then I'll graduate with a 3rd if I pass resits.

What did I expect for doing a subject I've never studied before? I should have done the subject I studied at college, I know I would have gotten good grades but I didn't do it because I didn't want to do more of that subject and wouldn't have enjoyed it. I have enjoyed my degree but haven't done well academically and feel as if I've lost 3 years of my life for nothing. All I've got from it is lack of sleep and stress meeting coursework deadlines. I wish I'd never gone to uni now, if I could go back I wouldn't have gone but it's too late and now I have nearly 40k in student loans to pay back. What am I supposed to do now? I won't be able to get a job with this degree although I've been told employers won't asks for grades for this subject, on my cv they'll see if got a degree in the subject and will be interested. If not then maybe I could use my college qualifications because my grades were much better then. I really don't know what I'm going to do. I have a resit deadline for July and if I've failed the final module I'll have to resit that for the same deadline. I know I'll pass them, I've had a resit before and passed but what after? What am I supposed to do?
If you don't mind us asking, what degree did you do? And did you have any extenuating circumstaces or was it just a genuine lack of effort
Last edited by Fuego1; 4 weeks ago
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Studying a subject you never studied before is not an excuse - lots of people study subjects they didn't study for A Levels.

You can still get a job (of some description) with a 3rd class degree. And having 2:1 or 1st is not necessarily a guarantee of getting a good job. Things will work out. Shame you wasted 40k though.
Last edited by black tea; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Do you study something creative? could be worth building up a portfolio/doing some freelance type of work to build up experience?
Yes it is something creative, I think that's a good idea. I did want to build up my portfolio /experience through an MA but there's no way I'll get onto an MA with my rubbish grades.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes it is something creative, I think that's a good idea. I did want to build up my portfolio /experience through an MA but there's no way I'll get onto an MA with my rubbish grades.
Definitely use this time to expand your portfolio, often creative jobs/degrees put a strong (if not stronger than grades) emphasis on the portfolio
PQ might have some advice for getting onto a creative master's :hugs:
user021
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey, do not look at university as a waste of three years of your life. Most people are never going to pay off their student debt, and look at what you have gained and learnt from it. If you would like to start fresh, maybe consider open Uni? That way, you can begin working at a job and do a degree in something you enjoy on the side. There are so many ways to get creative with what you gained from university culture and life that isn't just your grade. Of course, some people graduate with 2:2/3rd who are merely lazy and favour nightlife, which leads them to neglect their studies. If you want to achieve in life, start small and work your way up! I wish all the best to you.
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The lack of human sympathy and civility on this thread is really shocking. OP is in a difficult situation and came to TSR for advice and some people have nothing better to do than to mock him/her? Does that make you feel better about your own lives? I guarantee I'm more intelligent and have a better life than any of you morons, so if you want to mock someone come try me instead of effectively bullying someone you think is an easy target. Shame on all of you.

To OP - get some low-level practical experience in the field you're interested in and build a network of connections that way. It might take a while and be difficult, but the further you go on in life the more you realise how practical experience trumps your academic results.

Best of luck with everything.
The first serious and kind response. Thank you for being awesome, Cav!
Last edited by Palmyra; 4 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’d be surprised. I know people without a degree at all who have done MAs and thrived. The trick is to build up some relevant experience outside university.

One advantage of studying a degree is free careers advice. Your university careers services are there for you to use now and for years after you graduate. Use them. They’ll know what sort of employers to approach, how to set yourself up freelancing, how to get involved in various professional networks.

Cavy is right - degree classifications aren’t that relevant to creative careers (very often the academic side of your degree isn’t the part that employers are interested in). There’s a lot of people out there thriving with thirds and ordinary degrees.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Teach! Not even an arse response. I have a few mates with 3rds that are teaching and, it turns out, are pretty good at it.
Last edited by gjd800; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Definitely use this time to expand your portfolio, often creative jobs/degrees put a strong (if not stronger than grades) emphasis on the portfolio
PQ might have some advice for getting onto a creative master's :hugs:
I will, I need a 2:2 to get into an MA which I'm not likely to get even if I get a good grade in this final module.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey op, please don't lose hope. Your degree was not a waste as I'm sure you've gained lots of skills and life experiences during the course of your degree which will be useful in future employment, regardless of your classification.

I agree with what others have said about getting experience and building your portfolio. That what you can show of practical skills and knowledge which will show employers that you are worth hiring.

What degree did you study and what field are you hoping to get into?
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OP you really should stop worrying. Employers will care ten times more about your portfolio than your final grade.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you were aiming for anything ultra competitive it may be an issue, you know those flashy disciplines, management consulting, law, banking, medicine etc.

But in the creative industry you may be fine. And i daresay some lower tariff universities will chomp at the bit to admit you on a MA course. There really are tons of options, teaching is also one. Though it should be baffling why someone who doesn't excel at academics teaches the next generation! But that is not your problem!

I would suggest applying to alot of places and explaining your situation. You will get the loan regardless (PG) so many lower tariff universities will take you. Obviously you cannot aim high or even mid tier.

But there is hope, though maybe you should try and work....for a few years, seems like your academic confidence is in tatters. I recall getting a bad grade in first year and feeling frankly stupid, even though im quite intelligent. So your continous academic struggles may also have manifested themselves into your psyche, maybe some positive experiences out of an academic environment and some work experience would make your CV stronger also.

Best of luck
CuihongHu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am in almost the same situation as you, was thinking of doing a master after. But soon after my first two exams I know that there’s no way for me achieve my target. But don’t lose hope there are many other things that we can do. Experience is also very important try to expand you portfolio! Its always possible for you to go back to study in the future to enhance your degree! Or you could consider a pre-master foundation many of them accept a 3rd. Although a 3rd is not as good as 2:1/2:2 but it’s not useless!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads