The Student Room Group

Is it too late to go from a grade 3 to a grade 5 in a week for Maths GCSE?

Hi everyone
I have sat paper 1 which didn't go down well at all, I recently got sciatica (don't know how) but its reallly hard to sit and study and have to await surgery until after exams are over - this happened about 4 weeks ago which made it even harder to study as I planned

in this time I have actually forgot most maths techniques and also ended up getting 13/80 on my maths Mock GCSE Maths edexcel higher ,
After sitting paper 1 I think I have got the same due to running out of time and just having a horrible experience on the day (my seat number/exam room was changed as the exam had already started) , but honestly I cannot risk not getting at least a pass overall as I can't afford to retake it in the future its just going to get more difficult for me to handle , i've taken advice from many TSR people who have stated most efficient ways to revise like using mathsgenie etc but I'm really beginning to lose hope with under 2 weeks left till paper 2 and 3 not sure if I can achieve 35 marks on each paper :frown:
sorry for rambling but thanks for any suggestions.
P.S i'm naturally good at my other subjects its just maths which I really need to revise for.
First things first, you could probably apply for special consideration due to your sciatica. But more importantly, learning the basic content is absolutely possible in a few weeks. The first 10 questions account for about half of your marks, and those have content which can be learnt quickly in general, and a lot of questions come up in similar forms every year. Corbettmaths has a list of topics which haven't come up on paper 1 which they normally ask, and lots are the same every year, particularly geometry. Loci, constructions, 3D pythagoras, stuff on circles. Those almost always come up, and they can't ask much in terms of change honestly.

Good luck, you can do this, and you probably did and will do better than you think :biggrin:
You can certainly achieve those marks, you have enough time. 35 marks are achieveable for anyone with 1-2 weeks and 2-3 for paper 3. You yourself have said you are good at other subjects, so I would focus a lot more on maths. Mathsgenie is definitely a good website to use like you said people have mentioned, perhaps do an hour or maybe two a day. Put in the time from now and you will be fine.
Definitely!! You can do it if you think you can so put yourself in that mindset! Don’t give yourself a limit! :smile: good luck
Reply 4
I spoke to my teacher about the special consideration but he really doesnt seem to care :frown: and after the exam I had a chat to him about it again and he said that he had 'forgot to apply for it' so no help in that sense but I only have under 2 weeks :colondollar: to get 35 marks on each paper and its those topics in paper 2 /3 which I always struggled with!..looking back I really wish i chose to sit the foundation but then again I didnt know I would get sciatica! ah I doubt it as I honestly missed half the questions out but thankyou :shakehand:
Original post by GiveMeCoffee4
First things first, you could probably apply for special consideration due to your sciatica. But more importantly, learning the basic content is absolutely possible in a few weeks. The first 10 questions account for about half of your marks, and those have content which can be learnt quickly in general, and a lot of questions come up in similar forms every year. Corbettmaths has a list of topics which haven't come up on paper 1 which they normally ask, and lots are the same every year, particularly geometry. Loci, constructions, 3D pythagoras, stuff on circles. Those almost always come up, and they can't ask much in terms of change honestly.

Good luck, you can do this, and you probably did and will do better than you think :biggrin:
Reply 5
thankyou i've had a lot of negativity from people saying I should of sat the foundation if i'm struggling but no turning back now i'll take your advice thanks again :smile:
Original post by UnbelievablyEasy
You can certainly achieve those marks, you have enough time. 35 marks are achieveable for anyone with 1-2 weeks and 2-3 for paper 3. You yourself have said you are good at other subjects, so I would focus a lot more on maths. Mathsgenie is definitely a good website to use like you said people have mentioned, perhaps do an hour or maybe two a day. Put in the time from now and you will be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by ErinaNakiri78
Definitely!! You can do it if you think you can so put yourself in that mindset! Don’t give yourself a limit! :smile: good luck
Reply 7
Does anyone recommend mathwatch CD?
or has anyone used it x
I have that and was thinking of going through it from now until the exam with past papers alongside also what do you think about youtube past paper walkthroughs?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
guys paper 2 killed me especially after looking at the unofficial mark scheme :confused: that means I NEED to secure 40 marks on paper 3 how is this even possible now?!:frown:
Reply 9
try and use the unofficial mark scheme to learn from your mistakes on paper 2 to make sure you don't make the same mistakes in paper 3

Quick Reply

Latest