EPQ help Watch

Confused Person
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to do an EPQ, and I've been told to do it on a subject I'm passionate about. I am studying maths, chemistry and physics for A level, and hope to do physics and astrophysics at university. However, I am really passionate about the Lord of the Rings books/films by JRR Tolkien and I would love to do an EPQ on "Women and Diversity in Tolkien's books" as it is a topic which I could talk about for hours. However, it is so far from my subjects I'm wondering if it would be foolish to do it? Or good as it shows a variety of interests? Any advice would be appreciated.
- Thanks!
Deggs_14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No what you have is a great idea and you should stick with it. An EPQ is somehting you should be passionate about and the fact that you can talk about it for hours is very good already!
Last edited by Deggs_14; 3 weeks ago
Confused Person
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
No what you have is a great idea and you should stick with it. An EPQ is somehting you should be passizonage about and the fact that you can talk about it for hours is very good already!
Thank you. I just worry unis will be looking for subject related EPQs
Archetypally
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I targetted my EPQ specifically at my university choices in a subject area I wasn't particularly passionate about, but knew would look good on my personal statement. I'm sure doing something you're genuinely passionate about will make it more enjoyable, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee success. However, on the flipside, if you are a bit of a procrastinator, I knew the subject area fairly well, so I was able to do it a week before the deadline without running into too many issues. If this is the same for you on the Tolkien idea, then this might actually prove more beneficial.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Confused Person)
Thank you. I just worry unis will be looking for subject related EPQs
That’s possible yes, but then you can talk about the skills you gained from the EPQ, such as researching, editing, time management, organisation etc, rather than the actual content itself at any job interview.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I want to do an EPQ, and I've been told to do it on a subject I'm passionate about. I am studying maths, chemistry and physics for A level, and hope to do physics and astrophysics at university. However, I am really passionate about the Lord of the Rings books/films by JRR Tolkien and I would love to do an EPQ on "Women and Diversity in Tolkien's books" as it is a topic which I could talk about for hours. However, it is so far from my subjects I'm wondering if it would be foolish to do it? Or good as it shows a variety of interests? Any advice would be appreciated.
- Thanks!
It would showcase your literacy skills which are not being shown by your A level subjects, so I think unis would value that aspect of it. Good literacy skills are very important in most degrees and most careers, so it would be good to show that you are not just good at maths and science.
zeddiful42
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I completely agree with this - doing an EPQ on the title you have currently with show literacy skills which other STEM students may not be able to showcase as well as you. Secondly, it's on a topical issue which shows you are a well-rounded applicant who reads around current affairs, and not just a robot who does A-levels (which no uni likes, especially not the top ones).
(Original post by harrysbar)
It would showcase your literacy skills which are not being shown by your A level subjects, so I think unis would value that aspect of it. Good literacy skills are very important in most degrees and most careers, so it would be good to show that you are not just good at maths and science.
ohemgee11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
- Thanks!
Go ahead and do it!
Like you, I'm doing quite facilitated subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths), yet my EPQ project was about justifying the use of lethal injection in countries that legalise the death penalty. Totally unrelated haha
Confused Person
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
That’s possible yes, but then you can talk about the skills you gained from the EPQ, such as researching, editing, time management, organisation etc, rather than the actual content itself at any job interview.
Yeah. Thank you!
Confused Person
Rep:
?
That's true, thanks!
(Original post by harrysbar)
Confused Person
Rep:
?
(Original post by zeddiful42)
I completely agree with this - doing an EPQ on the title you have currently with show literacy skills which other STEM students may not be able to showcase as well as you. Secondly, it's on a topical issue which shows you are a well-rounded applicant who reads around current affairs, and not just a robot who does A-levels (which no uni likes, especially not the top ones).
Thank you, that's a big help
Confused Person
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice! And a very interesting topic you chose, hope it went well.
(Original post by ohemgee11)
Go ahead and do it!
Like you, I'm doing quite facilitated subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths), yet my EPQ project was about justifying the use of lethal injection in countries that legalise the death penalty. Totally unrelated haha
JunJun08
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
- Thanks!
Hi, I did an EPQ and it lead to me receiving unconditional offers. I know exactly what your position is! But honestly? I'd do one on what you're studying at university. Unis, especially if the EPQ is in a niche and interesting topic really really love it as it showcases your ability to independently learn the subject you're going to study! It also shows academic soft skills like referencing and the way you speak through text - something vital in astrophysics research papers! Especially if you can bring in math etc, you will be such an attractive candidate and will have a lot of unique things to talk about in your personal statement.

If however you really would not enjoy this, stick to the Tolkien's books one as you're passionate about it and ultimately that matters. To be fair I see exactly where other people are coming from here - but imo the EPQ will demonstrate your literacy skills etc no matter what subject it's in, and also well roundedness if you choose a nice non standard concept in astrophysics. But then again, I'm completely biased - anything works but in my view the former option is better. If I were you I'd make the sacrifice and do it relating to your field of study Good luck!!! Whatever you choose you'll definitely look super good to the admissions guys.
Last edited by JunJun08; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (289)
31.83%
The paper was reasonable (437)
48.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
12%
It was TERRIBLE (73)
8.04%

Watched Threads