The Student Room Group

MATCH ME TO A UNI?! (please x)

Hi!
I am in year 12 rn and i am predicted AAA for my A-levels (history, gandp and economics) i have no clue what UK uni i should apply to (i want to study HISTORY) in my last option out of 5, so i was wondering if any of you guys would have any suggestions from this list that i am most looking for in a uni:
-good nightlife
-campus
-not scotland (too far)
-friendly
-great student union
-preferably a pretty/old campus although i dont really mind
Hopefully i will make my mind up but i would be grateful for any suggestions!

Scroll to see replies

York
Probably Nottingham (campus) or manchester (friendly) or leeds (all). I don't know much about the history stuff though.
Original post by Charloa
Hi!
I am in year 12 rn and i am predicted AAA for my A-levels (history, gandp and economics) i have no clue what UK uni i should apply to (i want to study HISTORY) in my last option out of 5, so i was wondering if any of you guys would have any suggestions from this list that i am most looking for in a uni:
-good nightlife
-campus
-not scotland (too far)
-friendly
-great student union
Original post by Charloa
Hi!
-good nightlife
-campus
-not scotland (too far)
-friendly
-great student union

Exeter's good for History and has a pretty campus and nice little city.
Not the best for nightlife though, if clubbing is your thing.

What's "gandp" by the way?
Reply 4
Original post by user2809
York

Yeah, i was thinking of going to the open day for that one, thanks!
London Met
Reply 6
I've never really thought of Nottingham as it is too close, but i will look into it a bit more so thank you!
Original post by mapuffle
Probably Nottingham (campus) or manchester (friendly) or leeds (all). I don't know much about the history stuff though.
Reply 7
Gandp is Government and politics i should have made that a bit more clear lol. Clubbing isnt a big thing for me tbh, its moreso just a good vibe form the student union that would make my time there more exciting and not too dead!
Original post by harrysbar
Exeter's good for History and has a pretty campus and nice little city.
Not the best for nightlife though, if clubbing is your thing.

What's "gandp" by the way?
The following might be worth look into except for Nightlife Durham York Lancaster and Exeter.
Original post by Charloa
Hi!
-good nightlife
-campus
-not scotland (too far)
-friendly
-great student union
Leeds
Reply 10
You could look into Durham University
Reply 11
so this is for your 5th option? Might help if we knew what the other 4 were
Leeds 100%. Student Union is really big and a lot of it refurbed only a couple of years ago, it's got a number of bars and cafes in it with a terrace that is packed full of students on a sunny day, a co-op, santander, opticians, wok & go, humpit, vintage sales regularly plus a club inside thats sold out every Friday night. Everything is nice and close as it's a campus uni rather than a city uni with a bunch of pretty buildings and the nightlife in Leeds is great and really varied. I've had an amazing time here and would definitely say that it's a friendly place.

EDIT: Don't know loads about History here specifically but I know people who do it and they don't have many contact hours (think thats the case with history at almost any uni tho) and the History Society looks to have fun too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Thanks so much for your description! Leed sounds like its really buzzing all the time, but what do you mean by 'contact hours'?
Original post by Swills11
Leeds 100%. Student Union is really big and a lot of it refurbed only a couple of years ago, it's got a number of bars and cafes in it with a terrace that is packed full of students on a sunny day, a co-op, santander, opticians, wok & go, humpit, vintage sales regularly plus a club inside thats sold out every Friday night. Everything is nice and close as it's a campus uni rather than a city uni with a bunch of pretty buildings and the nightlife in Leeds is great and really varied. I've had an amazing time here and would definitely say that it's a friendly place.

EDIT: Don't know loads about History here specifically but I know people who do it and they don't have many contact hours (think thats the case with history at almost any uni tho) and the History Society looks to have fun too.
Reply 14
Well, i have tweaked it a bit since reading some of these comments but now i think
- Durham
- Newcastle
- Oxford (just because i went there last week and i really liked the vibe i got not so much the nightlife but the sense of community made up for that)
- Leeds

Original post by Sinnoh
so this is for your 5th option? Might help if we knew what the other 4 were
Original post by Charloa
Hi!
-good nightlife
-campus
-not scotland (too far)
-friendly
-great student union

I would try a Russell group if I were you and predicted those grades! Somewhere Like oxford or Cambridge, I heard the Cambridge night life is way better than oxford though
Reply 16
Thank you i will!
Original post by c.ozzi
You could look into Durham University
Reply 17
Thanks, although i am worried that Lancaster is too remote? Do you have any stories from there or know about its student union?
Original post by swanseajack1
The following might be worth look into except for Nightlife Durham York Lancaster and Exeter.
Reply 18
Thanks!
Original post by Pepsey
Leeds
Nottingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending