z666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
ive been accepted to hills road and really want to go but the travel would be above 3 hours a day. my current school has a decent sixth form with apparently one of the best physics results, but i feel id do better at hills plus i want to go somewhere new, im bored here
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
ive been accepted to hills road and really want to go but the travel would be above 3 hours a day. my current school has a decent sixth form with apparently one of the best physics results, but i feel id do better at hills plus i want to go somewhere new, im bored here
Apply somewhere else a bit nearer home - that travel time is not sensible.
z666
Rep:
?
anywhere nearer isnt much better than my current school, if not worse, and i wouldnt risk worse grades just to satisfy my desire for change so it just isnt worth it
(Original post by Muttley79)
Apply somewhere else a bit nearer home - that travel time is not sensible.
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does Hills not have a boarding option?
Falling short of that you will either have to literally move house or pick somewhere closer. Your call.
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
3 hours is insanity, I recommend you find a place closer to home, there's more to picking a college than the college's collective results.
farishaqqq
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
hills road is linked with Cambridge uni (engineering) ive visited a few times. you really should consider closer alternatives yet i understand that you're an academic (and hills road is great sixth form.) Personally i'm at an independent boarding school (i use to go to a state school) and i would say that the type school is not important, your own handwork can offset a shite school/sixth form. however if you're going into tertiary education related to engineering go to hills road its got an exceptional record for such things.
z666
Rep:
?
i agree if i work hard i could still do well but at my current school i dont see myself working hard due to the fact im in the same place i was in year 7 around people who barely got 4's to get in. if im at somewhere at hills with higher expectations, maybe my mindset will change and ill become hardworking, cuz atm im just lazy, im procrastinating right now
(Original post by farishaqqq)
hills road is linked with Cambridge uni (engineering) ive visited a few times. you really should consider closer alternatives yet i understand that you're an academic (and hills road is great sixth form.) Personally i'm at an independent boarding school (i use to go to a state school) and i would say that the type school is not important, your own handwork can offset a shite school/sixth form. however if you're going into tertiary education related to engineering go to hills road its got an exceptional record for such things.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge is not the place to go for Engineering if you want to work in industry.
farishaqqq
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
i agree if i work hard i could still do well but at my current school i dont see myself working hard due to the fact im in the same place i was in year 7 around people who barely got 4's to get in. if im at somewhere at hills with higher expectations, maybe my mindset will change and ill become hardworking, cuz atm im just lazy, im procrastinating right now
Don't associate with the students at your current school. In the months before i left my old school i stopped talking to many people/teachers , i didn't feel anything as i hated the school and the school governors.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
anywhere nearer isnt much better than my current school, if not worse, and i wouldnt risk worse grades just to satisfy my desire for change so it just isnt worth it
A three hour commute is not worth it - please don't do it. You are risking lower grades with that sort of travel.
farishaqqq
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i wouldn't know, i'm going to study medicine. i have a friend at hills road and they mentioned it to me in the past.

Cambridge is not the place to go for Engineering if you want to work in industry.
z666
Rep:
?
do you think its worth trying for 2 weeks before returning back to my current school if i dislike it
A three hour commute is not worth it - please don't do it. You are risking lower grades with that sort of travel.
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
do you think its worth trying for 2 weeks before returning back to my current school if i dislike it
There's no guarantee you will be able to go back to your current school though?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
NO - you won;t have covered the same work. Three hours a day is 15 hours a week and over the whole year is a lot of time [nearly 4 weeks solid] you could be studying or doing something useful like volunteering, sport, music.
z666
Rep:
?
what if im able to spend time studying while traveling? (hypothetically, i know its unlikely to be very possible)
NO - you won;t have covered the same work. Three hours a day is 15 hours a week and over the whole year is a lot of time [nearly 4 weeks solid] you could be studying or doing something useful like volunteering, sport, music.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
what if im able to spend time studying while traveling? (hypothetically, i know its unlikely to be very possible)
I teach in a selective school - we often have people join the Sixth Form with long commutes - it doesn't work. They usually go back or do badly.
z666
Rep:
?
****, fair enough, thanks for the help, really appreciate it
I teach in a selective school - we often have people join the Sixth Form with long commutes - it doesn't work. They usually go back or do badly.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z666)
Three hours with a booked seat in the first class carriage of a train? Really?
farishaqqq
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
best of luck man
z666
Rep:
?
thanks
best of luck man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (23)
27.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
9.64%
No I am happy with my choice (47)
56.63%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.02%

Watched Threads