Helpp! The Bloody Chamber - A Level English Literature Watch

maiishaa-a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
In The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter:

1) How is the Marquis in 'The Bloody Chamber' portrayed and how is this in contrast to The Beast in 'The Courtship of Mr Lyon'.

2) How is The Count in 'The Snow Child' portrayed as a male character?

Does any of the characters link to Carter's feminist views? And if so, how?
MissCarter786
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by maiishaa-a)
In The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter:

1) How is the Marquis in 'The Bloody Chamber' portrayed and how is this in contrast to The Beast in 'The Courtship of Mr Lyon'.

2) How is The Count in 'The Snow Child' portrayed as a male character?

Does any of the characters link to Carter's feminist views? And if so, how?
1) The Marquis is presented as a predatory figure who preys on the ‘innocent young bride’. He appears threatening and destroys her innocence, he analyses every body part of hers - “a dozen brides impaled a dozen husbands”. It’s a sexual imagery being surrounded by mirrors on the marriage bed. He is also threatening because he is wearing a mask and doesn’t reveal his identity, similarly he gifts her a ruby chocker or something and that could show the passiveness of the bride as if the red/ blood red chocker is clutching her throat and taking her female voice away - silencing her.

It’s a contrast because... actually just take a look at the endings One ends up dead and one lives happily ever after
Last edited by MissCarter786; 9 months ago
MissCarter786
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
2) Male character because he adheres to the stereotypical masculine qualities - he rapes the child (necrophilia), the countess doesn’t satisfy him and hence he finds pleasure - link the theme if hedonism and fulfils it with the child. It suggests his irresistible urges and his ultimate aim is to be fulfilled and pleasured.

He is also a corruptor... then link to the 19th century context of the depiction of gender roles, the dynamic between them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?