Sooo.... 2:2 Watch

user021
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
When I first started university, I was mostly getting 65% - 70% marks. However, in the past two years, I have had a deal with a personal circumstance where I have had to receive a great deal of medical attention and has affected my degree massively. I think that I will graduate with a 58% average. I have registered my extenuating circumstances with my university, and they have been very sympathetic and given me extra support, but their overall advice is that with all things considering there is not much they can do as I am doing reasonably well, (i.e. 18 marks average over just passing). I will personally be proud of my degree because I know that it took everything in me to achieve what I can. But I have been looking around on what to do with a 2:2 and underestimated the number of abuse people who have gotten 2:2 are subjected to if I graduate with a 2:2 is it the be all and all of my life?

Edit: Thank you for all the advice! I wish you guys all the best in your studies.
Last edited by user021; 2 months ago
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There are ways to compensate, work experience is an example.
user021
Rep:
?
When I first started university, I was mostly getting 65% - 70% marks. However, in the past two years, I have had a deal with a personal circumstance where I have had to receive a great deal of medical attention and has affected my degree massively. I think that I will graduate with a 58% average. I have registered my extenuating circumstances with my university, and they have been very sympathetic and given me extra support, but their overall advice is that with all things considering there is not much they can do as I am doing reasonably well, (i.e. 18 marks average over just passing). I will personally be proud of my degree because I know that it took everything in me to achieve what I can. But I have been looking around on what to do with a 2:2 and underestimated the number of abuse people who have gotten 2:2 are subjected to if I graduate with a 2:2 is it the be all and all of my life?
user021
Rep:
?
Yes thanks, I have been accepted to masters abroad and have decent work experience already. I think exam stress and dangerous internet rabbit holes putting me on edge...
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 2 months ago
I think you’ll be fine, esp since your doing a masters.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by user021)
If you do end up with a 2:2, it isn't the end of the world. Whilst some graduate schemes will only look at applications from graduates who achieved 2:1 or higher, there are some who will accept 2:2, or you can look at applying to roles that aren't graduate schemes to get some experience in your chosen field, and then work your way up. You can also ask your tutor to write you a good reference that may allude to your extenuating circumstances if needed. During your time at university, have you done any extracurriculars or related work experience? This can help boost your applications.

Do you have idea of what you want to do or what field you want to go into after graduating?

Whilst you might be disappointed with a 2:2, getting a degree is still an achievement in itself. However, from this point on, you want to focus on building your experience and making good connections. Your career success will depend largely on this.
Last edited by cheesecakelove; 2 months ago
allawal554
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Seems like I'm heading for a 2:2 myself atm, however I have an internship this summer and I'm worried they'll want a condition of me finishing with a 2:1 if they decide to give me a graduate job offer, which will be tough
user021
Rep:
?
Yes. I have been accepted at the University of Bristol for MA Law, and Leiden for Arts and Culture with Museum collections. I was in two minds about what I wanted to get into however I am leaning towards curating or archiving, so I think I will take a year out do some office work to save and take the plunge and go Holland. I have done a lot of experience in museum work over my summers. Graduate schemes don't seem to be the route into what I am interested in so I don't have that holding me back, I have just heard a lot of about lower class honours being associated with being lazy and going out drinking which is what I have not been doing.
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
If you do end up with a 2:2, it isn't the end of the world. Whilst some graduate schemes will only look at applications from graduates who achieved 2:1 or higher, there are some who will accept 2:2, or you can look at applying to roles that aren't graduate schemes to get some experience in your chosen field, and then work your way up. You can also ask your tutor to write you a good reference that may allude to your extenuating circumstances if needed. During your time at university, have you done any extracurriculars or related work experience? This can help boost your applications.

Do you have idea of what you want to do or what field you want to go into after graduating?

Whilst you might be disappointed with a 2:2, getting a degree is still an achievement in itself. However, from this point on, you want to focus on building your experience and making good connections. Your career success will depend largely on this.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can apply for extenuating circumstances for most graduate jobs. Some firms will be quite supportive and understanding.

Most employers do not care about your grades provided you are a good fit for the company and have relevant experience with transferrable skills. Of course competitive roles in big companies will be extremely fussy, so they will filter candidates with poor grades.Though honestly, it really isn't the be all end all and you'd be surprised at how many people either haven't gone to uni or got the most amazing grades, yet managed to progress really well to senior positions. There are also many grad and trainee programmes for those with 2.2, for example big 4 accounting firm (Deloitte, PwC, EY, KPMG), Capgemini, National Rail, HMRC (as well as LOADS of other civil service jobs, which you can check on their website), Nationwide etc. I can name even more (including some I've had interview with) to illustrate that it really isn't the end if you get 2.2

What you should focus on should be is deciding on what career you want to pursue, and preparing to make applications. By this I mean doing some research as to what entry level roles are in the industry you're interested in, googling for jobs (e.g. graduate talent pool, indeed, monster, prospect are all good website) and then reading more about the role in their website, and the application process. After that, you will need to update your CV and cover letter and make a speculative application and prepare for aptitude tests.
Last edited by kkboyk; 2 months ago
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 2 months ago
okay but before you've decided you have a 2:2, do you really have one or are you waiting for your final transcript?

just wondering as my uni told me if someone is at 58% they take everything into account (pec basically) and may bump it up to a 60. i don't want to put false ideas into your head but maybe don't 'decide' your future just yet till you have that final transcript.
user021
Rep:
?
Yes, a lot of my friends have told me about 'rounding upgrades' I think it depends on each university policy and even department. For example, I had a friend in Biomed who got 69, but they didn't round it up, and someone in Comp Sci who get 57.5 and this was rounded up. I am still waiting for my dissertation back, (which I'm feeling pretty good about) just the exam anxiety of not being able to gauge how well I did led me to my mini-meltdown...

It was more about being prepared and looking for some advice if my transcript came back and wasn't what I had hoped.

(Original post by Joleee)
okay but before you've decided you have a 2:2, do you really have one or are you waiting for your final transcript?

just wondering as my uni told me if someone is at 58% they take everything into account (pec basically) and may bump it up to a 60. i don't want to put false ideas into your head but maybe don't 'decide' your future just yet till you have that final transcript.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would wait until you get your final grade to see if they do raise the marks up, but if you do end up with a 2:2 you don't need to pay attention to the associations. It's great that you have been accepted for what you want to do next! People gain 2:2 for a variety of reasons (such as finding their degrees module difficult or other factors), and as you go on to develop your career path and take on more positions, your undergraduate degree won't matter so much - gaining more experience and making the right connections will be more important.

Yes. I have been accepted at the University of Bristol for MA Law, and Leiden for Arts and Culture with Museum collections. I was in two minds about what I wanted to get into however I am leaning towards curating or archiving, so I think I will take a year out do some office work to save and take the plunge and go Holland. I have done a lot of experience in museum work over my summers. Graduate schemes don't seem to be the route into what I am interested in so I don't have that holding me back, I have just heard a lot of about lower class honours being associated with being lazy and going out drinking which is what I have not been doing.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
user021 I have merged your duplicate threads.
user021
Rep:
?
sorry was connection error!! thanks!
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
user021 I have merged your duplicate threads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%