Last minute tips for chemistry a-level exams?? Watch

ra1500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i always find that i make stupid mistakes here n there, does any one have their own way remembering mark scheme stock answers - eg for periodicity? and good luck everyone who's sitting chem in the next few weeks!!
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeh I need advice aswell cause I’m ******** myself for my first chemistry Exam
ra1500
Rep:
?
TRUST me!! ive always been so hopeless in chem exams - even after exam practice.
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
Yeh I need advice aswell cause I’m ******** myself for my first chemistry Exam
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't ever even think of trying to use those stupid "equation triangles" chemistry teachers seem to love
Anonymouspsych
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My advice is stay calm people. I did most of my chemistry revision last minute so like the day before and just did a few past papers etc and I got an A*. You can do this!
ra1500
Rep:
?
Really? I really like them idk🙄
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ra1500
Rep:
?
Haha no way! Smashed it. I really need a B but im working at a low C
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ra1500)
Haha no way! Smashed it. I really need a B but im working at a low C
same here man i'm at C/D and i need atleast a B for my firm , it just seems kind of hopeless atm
mnnbv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Use Chemrevise!
they have all the topics for the a level boards split into revision sheets
check them out
Turtlebunny
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As a chemist who's currently sitting exams at Durham university (and I've done way too many maths/chemistry/physics exams up until now), and someone who may also be marking A2 Chemistry for a major board this year, here's my advice:

Your first exam is the 4th of June. That's plenty of time! In this time, if you feel hopeless, know that you have enough time to learn all the stuff there's no excuse for not knowing: mechanisms, colours of TM complexes, explanations for differing boiling points - easy marks that everyone needs to get.
Do some past papers - at A-level this is very useful. Examiners ask very similar questions every year and there's certain stuff that always comes up in some format, get practice with it, and check your answers and it won't be so much of a surprise in the exam. If you can find old spec papers, use them too! Chemistry is still chemistry at the end of the day.
Remember nitrogen has a lone pair of electrons, group three elements like boron and aluminium have an empty p orbital.
Read the question in the exam, the question itself can often trigger things in your brain and also provide clues as to how to answer it if you take time to read it properly.
For your equations, just do some practice questions and learn how to use them. There aren't that many equations in A-level Chemistry so learning how to use them in context will make them stick much more than just rote learning all of them
In your answers, answer the question and try to hit the marking points you are aware of, but don't waffle. It is too easy to waffle and end up repeating yourself in longer questions where examiners can ask harder questions testing your understanding of something. It's not an English exam nobody is looking for you to ramble on about different things for ages. Don't miss out detail, but be concise and use ideas you introduce to answer the question rather than circling back on them
ra1500
Rep:
?
This is SO useful, thanks
Anonymouspsych
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Personally I just used the CGP books and did past papers, that's pretty much it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (239)
14.86%
The paper was reasonable (897)
55.78%
Not feeling great about that exam... (352)
21.89%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.46%

Watched Threads