Teasing - why do I care? (Outie tummy button) Watch

spookylight
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. I know this is a stupid first world problem and I'm ashamed it's bothering me, but it's really bugged me.

A group of us went to the park today to play frisbee. It was hot and it was suggested we play shirts v skins. I was on the skins team which wouldn't normally bother me. Thing is, the minute I took my t-shirt off one of my mates noticed my tummy button sticks out. And such a big deal was made (turns out I'm the only one with an outie). They all were checking it out and trying to touch it. I know it was only for fun, but it made me self conscious and weird when people were pushing their index fingers on it.

If one of them had some sort of unusual feature, I wouldn't have laughed or touched. And I didn't even know outies were so rare. Both my brothers have them, and my best mate from sixth form.

I know I shouldn't be so sensitive, but just needed to vent.

Does anyone else have this problem? Nobody ever commented before.
swiftie101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
dude u have nothing to be self conscious about.
your friends are mean for laughing and trying to touch it but then i guess its also new to them
having an outie is not a big deal and you need to be proud cuz its rare!
think about it in a positive aspect!
Normal is boring.

(Original post by spookylight)
Hi. I know this is a stupid first world problem and I'm ashamed it's bothering me, but it's really bugged me.

A group of us went to the park today to play frisbee. It was hot and it was suggested we play shirts v skins. I was on the skins team which wouldn't normally bother me. Thing is, the minute I took my t-shirt off one of my mates noticed my tummy button sticks out. And such a big deal was made (turns out I'm the only one with an outie). They all were checking it out and trying to touch it. I know it was only for fun, but it made me self conscious and weird when people were pushing their index fingers on it.

If one of them had some sort of unusual feature, I wouldn't have laughed or touched. And I didn't even know outies were so rare. Both my brothers have them, and my best mate from sixth form.

I know I shouldn't be so sensitive, but just needed to vent.

Does anyone else have this problem? Nobody ever commented before.
spookylight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks, Swiftie. I didn't realise it was that rare. It obviously touched a nerve. It's made me self conscious now.
spookylight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Happened again today. Admittedly not as bad, but it still made me put my shirt on. I know they dont mean anything by it but it bugs me.

Does anyone else with an outie get this? Or even an innie?
Alliterate
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't be self-conscious about it, I've got one too and honestly thought everyone's looked like that for years, I too didn't realise it was that rare. I had a similar experience years ago during PE at school, wasn't sure whether it was because of the outie or just because I was naturally skinny, and for some reason I felt left out and blamed it on that. I'm not really bothered about it now, people can like or hate me as they please, 'cause they're probably not worth my time if that's their reason -- I know that it's a different scenario for you as you said that they probably don't mean anything. I'd be the same as you, I wouldn't even notice or pay attention to such a small detail, but it may be new to them as mentioned above.

It's a small unique trait, embrace it or just don't worry about it -- I'd honestly keep it on show if you can get over the self-consciousness and surely your friends will get bored of it.
Last edited by Alliterate; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (187)
14.29%
The paper was reasonable (730)
55.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (292)
22.31%
It was TERRIBLE (100)
7.64%

Watched Threads