Transcription and translation

Watch this thread
JacobBob
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Are these enough for a level descriptions of the processes ? i'm in A2.

Transcription :
The DNA unwinds at the gene to be transcribed, this happens by the breaking of hydrogen bonds using the enzyme Helicase. Then free RNA nucleotides bind to the template strand of DNA by complimentary base pairing . RNA polymerase joins the (RNA) mononucleotides
together by the formation of phosphodiester bonds , mRNA is produced and then goes on to undergo post transcriptional modification before being translated on ribosomes to produce proteins.

Translation:
Modified mRNA first attaches to the ribsomes. Then tRNA carries an amino acid complementary to the
(I forgot where codons are and where anticodons are)
I'm just gonna say codon for now, complementary to the codon and will bind to the mRNA at that

Ok I realized I can't remember the process of translation, could someone help me out please ?
searching123job
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Good effort mate

Not too bad for a level, i would say. But maybe a bit more detail would put you in good stead

The codon is found on the mRNA and the anticodon on the trna
searching123job
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So in translation

Ribosome attaches to mrna and moves along the mrna, reading the codons

Charged trna molecules with their amino acids come to ribosome and mrna codon and trna anticodon bond

Ribosome moves, trna is moved to a new site on the ribosome. Next codon is read on mrna by the ribosome, next complementary charged trna comes in with its amino acid. Peptide bond is formed between the two amino acids. First trna leaves

This is continued until we have a polypeptide chain
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (8)
10.53%
The paper was reasonable (37)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
32.89%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
7.89%

Watched Threads