What is Strips in Calculus? Watch

esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Let's say I have a graph. I break that graph up into tiny rectangles with a infinitesimal small width \delta x and height equal to the f(x). And then add the areas of the rectangles up. This is strips method of integration right?
keptinside
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Derivation is like cutting the graph into pieces, while Integration is collecting and adding all these pieces. So if you wanna get the area under any curve, you integrate the equation of the curve which is given as f(x) or whatever you name it. Derivation is used to cut the graph into pieces to study many stuffs on the graph. Some of these things are the minima and maxima, critical point etc..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mqb2766
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.
(Original post by esrever)
Let's say I have a graph. I break that graph up into tiny rectangles with a infinitesimal small width \delta x and height equal to the f(x). And then add the areas of the rectangles up. This is strips method of integration right?
HydraFly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What you've described is called Integration from First Principles... As the delta-x becomes infinitely small, it becomes dx, resulting in your standard Leibniz notation for calculus
esrever
Rep:
?
(Original post by HydraFly)
What you've described is called Integration from First Principles... As the delta-x becomes infinitely small, it becomes dx, resulting in your standard Leibniz notation for calculus
(Original post by mqb2766)
Yes.
Thanks. But is this method known by a name other than "strips"? Because I was unable to find any information about it online.
HydraFly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes... Its called integration from first principles! Here's a link: Here!

Alternatively, if you are not making the strips infinitely small but just extremely narrow, it becomes an approximation technique called 'the trapezium rule' - except you use trapeziums instead of rectangles as this gives a better approximation.
Thanks. But is this method known by a name other than "strips"? Because I was unable to find any information about it online.
Red8746
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think the Simpsons Rule uses a similar method to what you’re describing.
mqb2766
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rectangular integration (as opposed to trapezoid).
Or Reimann
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sum
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 weeks ago
graecusthegreek
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think this is called Riemann Integration?
esrever
Rep:
?
Thank you so much everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (175)
32.23%
The paper was reasonable (269)
49.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
10.87%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
7.37%

Watched Threads