The Student Room Group

My parents aren’t letting me get a part time job

Baso I’ve been looking for a part time job for 2 MONTHS and they were okay with it and suddenly I’ve got a trial shift at a hairdresser washing peoples hair and they won’t let me go. Apparently, working in a hairdresser is ‘unsuitable’ for a girl and it’s not good so they won’t let me go despite the fact that they already told me another hairdresser was looking for someone to work . The hairdressers is 7 minutes from where I live and I can get the bus there and back so I would never disturb them. They don’t give me money so they said they’ll apparently give me £10 a week but that’s never going to happen and it’ll be £10 a month because I have 2 other siblings. I also want this job not because of the money but to gain something for my cv and to become more self confidant talking to people but they still won’t let me get it. I’m so upset and angry and I will never forgive them if they do this. I already don’t love them from things in the past including my other siblings but this will make it worse. Just to mention I am 13 turning 14 in one month and my parents are from the Middle East but I live in England
Is it a male hairdressers or a female hairdressers?
Female
Original post by Zamestaneh
Is it a male hairdressers or a female hairdressers?
Original post by Hanamahmoud05
Female

Seems unreasonable of them but then again you are quite young and I can imagine if I was a parent I would be uncomfortable letting my 13 year old travel to work on their own. If you don't have a job it is no biggy, but it is a bit frustrating for you
Original post by Hanamahmoud05
Baso I’ve been looking for a part time job for 2 MONTHS and they were okay with it and suddenly I’ve got a trial shift at a hairdresser washing peoples hair and they won’t let me go. Apparently, working in a hairdresser is ‘unsuitable’ for a girl and it’s not good so they won’t let me go despite the fact that they already told me another hairdresser was looking for someone to work . The hairdressers is 7 minutes from where I live and I can get the bus there and back so I would never disturb them. They don’t give me money so they said they’ll apparently give me £10 a week but that’s never going to happen and it’ll be £10 a month because I have 2 other siblings. I also want this job not because of the money but to gain something for my cv and to become more self confidant talking to people but they still won’t let me get it. I’m so upset and angry and I will never forgive them if they do this. I already don’t love them from things in the past including my other siblings but this will make it worse. Just to mention I am 13 turning 14 in one month and my parents are from the Middle East but I live in England

Sorry to be that guy but you can't even be legally employed at 13, you have to be 14 to do paid work.

Also, most places won't touch you until you are 16, because of insurance and things like that. You're showing good initiative but unfortunately this place would be illegally employing you at the start at they know it.

You're best off just waiting, yes you are showing good initiative and work ethic but it might just be better to wait, maybe work in a charity shop or something as a volunteer to build up retail experience, then when you are 16 you'll easily get a retail job.
I was supporting you up until you mentioned you were 13...

Wait until you’re 16 when you can be legally employed
I disagree, I started working in a hairdressers at 14. It was a great confidence builder. I don’t think 14 is too young at all!
What sort of work do they think is acceptable? Maybe you could try to compromise. Have they visited the salon and talked to the owner?
If they're continuing to say no, why not look for some volunteering work instead? That way you can start building up your CV and will have some experience for when you're older

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending