The Student Room Group

Numeracy skills test failed equipment

Hi guys,
I’m a 24 year old about to embark on my scitt course after 2 years of working in a primary school. Yesterday my husband and I travelled 40 miles to complete the skills test as that was closest centre to me. I passed the literacy one and then went on to do the Numeracy. The practice question worked fine, but the remaining questions had no sound. I alerted the invigilator around question 2 and she told me to ‘try my best’- this proved very difficult seeing as there was no sound and the questions are spoken to you via headphones. I carried on doing the written section as at the time, I thought maybe I could pass if I’d got them all right. I finished the test and ended up doing really well in the second section and only needing 6 marks to pass... I strongly believe that if the equipment had been working as it should have, I would have passed. I have worked so hard and revised every evening for the last 6 weeks and I honestly feel so deflated by the whole thing. I bought it up to the man who gave me my results and he said ‘you’ve done really well on the second bit tho- think of it as a practice’ he was aware there were problems and he was writing a report to the head office.

I am absolutely devastated and left the centre in floods of tears. These tests are so tricky and mentally draining and I feel deflated by the whole thing. The staffs attitude was that I should just do it again but distance/time/availability of appointments is just not that easy. My scitt course wanted to see these certificates at my June 5th meeting and I now won’t have my Numeracy. I’m so worried I won’t be able to get onto my course because they need to be done.

I don’t suppose this has happened to any one else? Or if anyone has any advice? I have written an email to the skills test head office but I’m not entirely sure what they can do to be honest.
Original post by MLHX
Hi guys,
I’m a 24 year old about to embark on my scitt course after 2 years of working in a primary school. Yesterday my husband and I travelled 40 miles to complete the skills test as that was closest centre to me. I passed the literacy one and then went on to do the Numeracy. The practice question worked fine, but the remaining questions had no sound. I alerted the invigilator around question 2 and she told me to ‘try my best’- this proved very difficult seeing as there was no sound and the questions are spoken to you via headphones. I carried on doing the written section as at the time, I thought maybe I could pass if I’d got them all right. I finished the test and ended up doing really well in the second section and only needing 6 marks to pass... I strongly believe that if the equipment had been working as it should have, I would have passed. I have worked so hard and revised every evening for the last 6 weeks and I honestly feel so deflated by the whole thing. I bought it up to the man who gave me my results and he said ‘you’ve done really well on the second bit tho- think of it as a practice’ he was aware there were problems and he was writing a report to the head office.

I am absolutely devastated and left the centre in floods of tears. These tests are so tricky and mentally draining and I feel deflated by the whole thing. The staffs attitude was that I should just do it again but distance/time/availability of appointments is just not that easy. My scitt course wanted to see these certificates at my June 5th meeting and I now won’t have my Numeracy. I’m so worried I won’t be able to get onto my course because they need to be done.

I don’t suppose this has happened to any one else? Or if anyone has any advice? I have written an email to the skills test head office but I’m not entirely sure what they can do to be honest.

I think this is very poor form from the center. At the time, I think it would have been best if you could have refused to continue until you were given a working machine. If you can't hear the questions, you have no chance of answering them, and I would have made this clear to staff.

Unfortunately, passing the tests is a legal requirement, so no-one can just waive it for you, but I would contact your SCITT and explain the situation.

I think you will have to book another test- which does suck as you have so far to go. I would complain to the test center and maybe to the overall body as well- maybe they will refund some of your expenses or something like that
http://sta.education.gov.uk/ has a telephone number you can use to contact the awarding body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending