Joannxkm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
help with kite runner please? or a streetcar called desire? but especially kite runner and how to do a recast + commentary 😭
Sayd123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hii I do these exact texts as well. My advice to write a recast for the Kite runner is to be as creative as you possibly can however when writing a recast from say Hassan’s point of view make sure it sounds like something he would typically say, just don’t go overboard or sound too extreme with it. Then for the commentary, what I would usually do is read back over my recast and pick out the best language features I can spot and write about them in a lot of detail but also making sure to compare it to the base text because you get quite a few marks for that. Just also make sure to use a wide range of terminology maybe to do with narrative voice so things like personal pronouns , face theory, discourse, sentence types, different word classes etc and just explaining why you used them, what effect does it have?
Then for Streetcar what I would usually do is first off read the extract, plan what to write about from the extract making sure it’s relevant still then find about 2 or 3 points in the play where something similar happens, just make sure you are focusing on the question still. Then write your answer, make sure to say why Williams did this, how does that create an effect. Consider the audience at the time the play came out, how does this effect them? Also write about Williams’ life so for example if the question is asking about madness you could say how Williams’ sister was lobotomised and put in a mental asylum, which reflects how Blanche is also put into a mental asylum. There was actually a quote from Elia Kazan who directed the 1951 film of SND who said “everything that happened in his plays, happened in his life” so you could use that for almost any essay question when linking it to context. Also yeah just add context and again, a range of different language features, explored and evaluated in a lot of detail.
Hope that helped :)
Joannxkm
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
you are an absolute angel omg, thank you sm!!! would it be weird to add you on something else? like snapchat? the exam is on monday and im terrified😭
Sayd123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ahh that’s okay! No that’s fine what’s your Snapchat ?
(Original post by Joannxkm)
you are an absolute angel omg, thank you sm!!! would it be weird to add you on something else? like snapchat? the exam is on monday and im terrified😭
username4570218
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Can you contrast it with today? For example like the mental illness in the 1940s wasn't seen as important and not criminalised like today's society? btw how did you guys find paper 1?
Sayd123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah I would have thought you could contrast it to like a modern day audience and yeah just give different interpretations etc. I found it okay thanks, we did dracula, Heaney and Paris wbu?

(Original post by subaaaan)
Can you contrast it with today? For example like the mental illness in the 1940s wasn't seen as important and not criminalised like today's society? btw how did you guys find paper 1?
username4570218
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh I did Paris, Handmaids tale and Duffy.
(Original post by Sayd123)
Yeah I would have thought you could contrast it to like a modern day audience and yeah just give different interpretations etc. I found it okay thanks, we did dracula, Heaney and Paris wbu?
Joannxkm
Rep:
?
Ahh that’s okay! No that’s fine what’s your Snapchat ?
joannxkm & thank you sm!
Joannxkm
Rep:
?
me too! I did Paris, handmaids tale and duffy! how did you find it? and what question did you do for handmaids? I did the men one
username4570218
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Same I did the men’s question, I found that okay and had a lot say. I like Paris but I ran out of time I had like 15 minutes same for poetry I ran out time so I probably did bad on those. So I really need to do good on paper two to make it up
Joannxkm
Rep:
?
I spent way too much time on the first two questions and I didn’t have much time for poems so I’m also trying to make it up with paper two but I’m so scared 😭
(Original post by subaaaan)
Same I did the men’s question, I found that okay and had a lot say. I like Paris but I ran out of time I had like 15 minutes same for poetry I ran out time so I probably did bad on those. So I really need to do good on paper two to make it up
Sayd123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Added u and that’s okay!
(Original post by Joannxkm)
joannxkm & thank you sm!
maddiehicklin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
We did those paper 1 texts too! How did you find Dracula because we all absolutely hated it, our teachers weren’t the best go Dracula and we didn’t once learn about time and barely did point of view / importance of narrative , especially with Mina as her character came up last year! I did the question on Minas journal. Which Heaney Q did you do? I did child’s perspective and linked to growing up etc, comparing it to DOA naturalist

Sayd123
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah you know what Dracula was actually okay for me because in class we studied narrative voice a lot, but I don’t think I did as well as I thought I could have done to be honest! But yeah them 2 Dracula questions sorry but what even were they, actually know someone who did the time question hahah. But yeah I did that question for Heaney as well, I compared it to Blackberry Picking though. But good luck for tomorrow !
(Original post by maddiehicklin)
We did those paper 1 texts too! How did you find Dracula because we all absolutely hated it, our teachers weren’t the best go Dracula and we didn’t once learn about time and barely did point of view / importance of narrative , especially with Mina as her character came up last year! I did the question on Minas journal. Which Heaney Q did you do? I did child’s perspective and linked to growing up etc, comparing it to DOA naturalist
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (86)
27.48%
No (227)
72.52%

Watched Threads