keep_drowning
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in Year 12 and I've been taking 4 A Levels all year - though i'm one of maybe two or three people in my cohort taking 4.
I enjoy all my subjects and wouldn't really want to drop one - but a teacher recommended I drop one and pick up an EPQ instead for Year 13 quote on quote "Because universities prefer an EPQ to a fourth A Level"

I want to study some form of Biological studies at uni - and my current subjects are Biology, Maths, Psychology and Further Maths - the only way I would willingly drop Further Maths (my weakest subject I think) is if I got lower than AAAB at the end of this year (but honestly - I would probably still want to keep it ).
But if I dropped Further Maths and picked up an EPQ I'd probably end up asking to pick up Chemistry AS instead (I'm weird. I love learning. Hate the exams. I try not to fuss about grades too much)

Opinions?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by keep_drowning)
I'm in Year 12 and I've been taking 4 A Levels all year - though i'm one of maybe two or three people in my cohort taking 4.
I enjoy all my subjects and wouldn't really want to drop one - but a teacher recommended I drop one and pick up an EPQ instead for Year 13 quote on quote "Because universities prefer an EPQ to a fourth A Level"

I want to study some form of Biological studies at uni - and my current subjects are Biology, Maths, Psychology and Further Maths - the only way I would willingly drop Further Maths (my weakest subject I think) is if I got lower than AAAB at the end of this year (but honestly - I would probably still want to keep it ).
But if I dropped Further Maths and picked up an EPQ I'd probably end up asking to pick up Chemistry AS instead (I'm weird. I love learning. Hate the exams. I try not to fuss about grades too much)

Opinions?
Actually it depends.
What unis prefer is 3 excellent A levels to 3or 4 good ones.

Your life, your choice. 4 A levels has the advantage you can mess one up and FM can be advantageous for certain maths orientated subjects. Beyond that I would do 3.

If you want to do 4, then do 4, some unis will give you some credit for that.

Your teacher is being very simple as it all depends for epq. It can make your application more interesting or be used in interview or even get you an offer reduction by one grade. Not all unis give that reduction though, so its much less value if they dont treat epq in that way.

My preference is best 3 A levels. 4 is fine if you are really attached to them. Some unis treat M +FM as one.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by keep_drowning)

Opinions?
My opinion is to stick with what you are doing. I do not agree that unis prefer the EPQ to 4 A levels - that is just the teachers opinion and they are being too general. I don't think people should continue with 4 A levels if the extra workload is dragging down the other 3, but as long as you can cope with 4 and are enjoying FM, I wouldn't worry.

The EPQ is also a lot of work and should really be started in Year 12, in my opinion. Lots of people end up dropping it because it is harder than they anticipated so it would be risky to drop something you are doing well at for something you may not enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads