mechanism : electrophilic substitution of Benzene

Watch
JanaALEVEL
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Name:  Screenshot (138)_LI.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  7.9 KB
How do I know where to put the circled x here ?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JanaALEVEL)
Name:  Screenshot (138)_LI.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  7.9 KB
How do I know where to put the circled x here ?
Which circled X?
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
Which circled X?
In the red circle, + x
Turtlebunny
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Are you referring as to where to put the positive charge?

The electrophilic aromatic substitution mechanism is an electrophilic attack followed by an alpha elimination. By alpha elimination I mean the hydrogen that is 'alpha' to the carbon with the positive charge on it is eliminated to restore aromaticity. In this context and in a lot of other Chemistry you may encounter alpha refers to the adjacent carbon 1 away from your positive charge/functional group/whatever. Knowing this, you know that the positive charge should be placed on the adjacent carbon to where you have your hydrogen and the electrophile you have added. The 3/4 completed ring is a notation to show a disruption of aromaticity and you draw this round the rest of the ring - it comes from the resonance structures when you move the positive charge around your intermediate.
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JanaALEVEL)
In the red circle, + x
Maybe it's my old eyes, but I can only see a plus sign in the circled structure. The previous poster has given a perfect explanation.
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
Maybe it's my old eyes, but I can only see a plus sign in the circled structure. The previous poster has given a perfect explanation.
Oh you were kidding (?)

Finding an x on the phone is much easier than finding a plus, and it surely does the job.

P.s, if you rotate the plus sign a little, you'll get an x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads