Luke Holland
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am doing a past paper question, and it says:
'The graph shows the mass of DNA present in cells of a population of healthy cells where mitosis is occurring'. *The graph shows mass of DNA varying between 1 and 2 arbitrary units* Explain why some cells contain a mass of DNA between 1 and 2 arbitrary units?

The mark scheme says: "(DNA) replication taking place/not finished; (Accept: they are cells in S phase)"

BUT the question clearly states that the cells were undergoing mitosis, and I thought that interphase was part of the cell cycle, but NOT mitosis? Is the cell cycle not made up of first interphase then mitosis, so interphase cannot be part of mitosis?

Can someone clear this up for me. Thank you!!
Jpw1097
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Luke Holland)
I am doing a past paper question, and it says:
'The graph shows the mass of DNA present in cells of a population of healthy cells where mitosis is occurring'. *The graph shows mass of DNA varying between 1 and 2 arbitrary units* Explain why some cells contain a mass of DNA between 1 and 2 arbitrary units?

The mark scheme says: "(DNA) replication taking place/not finished; (Accept: they are cells in S phase)"

BUT the question clearly states that the cells were undergoing mitosis, and I thought that interphase was part of the cell cycle, but NOT mitosis? Is the cell cycle not made up of first interphase then mitosis, so interphase cannot be part of mitosis?

Can someone clear this up for me. Thank you!!
You’re absolutely right. Interphase is not part of mitosis. Don’t believe everything you read in an A level paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.3%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.44%
Live streaming events (46)
8.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.77%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.24%
An in-person event when available (114)
22.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise