I picked the wrong uni course. Help Watch

Chrryblssm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

I've been agonising since highschool whether to study English Language at university or 3D animation. My thought process being- Eng Lang+second language= a good, respected degree. Opens many doors for different careers, translation being my main interest
Animation= not a very stable career choice, could be getting myself into student debt without the prospect of a high paying job at the end of it (???) BUT it's what makes me happy and is my passion.

After much internal debate and academic pressure, I decided to go with English Language since my A-Level results were pretty solid (A* A B) - I decided that if I get a good English grade, I'll study English. If not, I'll study animation.

And here I am now, firmed unconditional offer from UoM to study English Language+Japanese, and I'm regretting it immensely.

I've already done my finance, put down which accommodation I'd like, etc. I'm all set to go- except that I am not sure I even /want/ to do this degree- and I'm just going with it because I'm scared Animation isn't a good career choice. I've already taken a gap year to help me decide what degree i'd like to do- I don't want to waste another year and end up dropping out. I feel like I'd upset my parents if I brought this up with them now

Do you have any advice? Is it too late to change my university and course? Is it even possible?

Thanks y'all
Last edited by Chrryblssm; 2 weeks ago
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chrryblssm)
My thought process being- Eng Lang= a good, respected degree. Opens many doors for different careers.
Hah! Quite the opposite.

Well, either do it or don't. I don't think either of the two degrees have particularly good job prospects, so that shouldn't be a consideration if you're choosing between the two.
Aalicee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! I am just in my last year of A-Levels and I had the same issue - I decided I wanted to do Korean Studies and firmed everything in October then just this month I changed my mind and realised I actually wanted to study English Lit. I think this should still work if you took a gap year but for me, I got in contact with my firm and insurance choice and asked them to release me back into UCAS Track and withdraw my application. They did this pretty quickly an efficiently then I got in contact with UCAS as confirmed my changes. As I hadn't used all of my 5 choices in applying I was able to select three different courses and emailed them a new personal statement separately. 2/3 have already given me offers without hassle and aren't treating it as an anomaly. If you haven't used all your track options originally then you should be able to change - hope this helps!
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

I've been agonising since highschool whether to study English Language at university or 3D animation. My thought process being- Eng Land= a good, respected degree. Opens many doors for different careers.
Animation= not a very stable career choice, could be getting myself into student debt without the prospect of a high paying job at the end of it (???) BUT it's what makes me happy and is my passion.

After much internal debate and academic pressure, I decided to go with English Language since my A-Level results were pretty solid (A* A B) - I decided that if I get a good English grade, I'll study English. If not, I'll study animation.

And here I am now, firmed unconditional offer from UoM to study English Language+Japanese, and I'm regretting it immensely.

I've already done my finance, put down which accommodation I'd like, etc. I'm all set to go- except that I am not sure I even /want/ to do this degree- and I'm just going with it because I'm scared Animation isn't a good career choice. I've already taken a gap year to help me decide what degree i'd like to do- I don't want to waste another year and end up dropping out. I feel like I'd upset my parents if I brought this up with them now

Do you have any advice? Is it too late to change my university and course? Is it even possible?

Thanks y'all
Agonising sounds too painful.

Its pretty straightforward.

Take a gap, get some experience and if you like your computer anim experience then go for that. I would always say follow what you have a passion for.
English isnt going to open as many doors as you think. I think over a gap it will become obvious what you want.

The alternative try English for a year and if its not for you quit by end of year and apply to do animation.
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd definitely recommend a gap year, OP.
Chrryblssm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Agonising sounds too painful.

Its pretty straightforward.

Take a gap, get some experience and if you like your computer anim experience then go for that. I would always say follow what you have a passion for.
English isnt going to open as many doors as you think. I think over a gap it will become obvious what you want.

The alternative try English for a year and if its not for you quit by end of year and apply to do animation.
(Original post by MinaBee)
I'd definitely recommend a gap year, OP.
Thanks you guys, But I've already taken a gap year!
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Talk to parents, but I gave you an option B anyway. That will just mean you borrow more money. If you take a gap then do something with it.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

I've been agonising since highschool whether to study English Language at university or 3D animation. My thought process being- Eng Lang+second language= a good, respected degree. Opens many doors for different careers, translation being my main interest

Thanks y'all
you can just ring the Uni, ask them to release you from your offer, and then try and gain a place in clearing, re-doing the finance etc. can be done much quicker if you've already been accepted once.
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ugh my brain isn't working today

You can phone UoM and your insurance (if you have one) and ask them to release you. Then you'll have the option of clearing on results day. There's also something called UCAS Extra. I really don't know a lot about it or if you'd be able to use it in your case but if you google a bit you'll be able to find stuff out about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (414)
18.63%
The paper was reasonable (1054)
47.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (261)
11.75%

Watched Threads