Student Finance and Coeliac Disease Watch

digestive123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm in the process of applying to Student Finance, and I was last year diagnosed with coeliac disease. I was told by my GP as of 2017, you can no longer receive gluten free food on prescription, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about applying to DSA on grounds of coeliac, as it's not just an allergy or an intolerance but a genuine autoimmune disease that can lead to detrimental effects if the gluten free diet is not strictly followed? I've had an endoscopy and blood tests to 100% confirm my diagnosis so would easily be able to obtain evidence from my GP.

I'm aware coeliac isn't debilitating much at all (other than when consuming gluten); however, the price of gluten free food is just extortionate- my family struggle to buy it with full time jobs, let alone a student with an average loan. Additionally, my immune system is still in recovery after 10 years of being misdiagnosed, so I really cannot risk eating gluten again nor not having a healthy, varied diet.

If anyone could give any advice on this it would be much appreciated. I will hopefully be attending Royal Holloway if it makes any difference.
Last edited by digestive123; 2 months ago
EBurlton
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't have any information to give you but I'm hoping to go to Chester next year and any info anyone can give about coeliac disease and disability grands would be amazingggg. I was diagnosed in late 2017 and honestly it's been hell. Food is so expensive and I'm terrified of living with flat mates in case they contaminate my food or steal my expensive food. I feel like the disability funding would be a huge help to live and eat etc while living at uni.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Helendp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My daughter is going to university this year, and we have asked if she can have her own fridge, which we are providing for her, so her food stays safe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.78%
Excited (116)
8.23%
Worried (264)
18.74%
Terrified (329)
23.35%
Meh (113)
8.02%
Confused (33)
2.34%