liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can't seem to find a clear answer for this anywhere for me to understand.
I'm studying homeostasis right now and I am a little confused.
For combined contraceptive pills, they contain a synthetic oestrogen and progesterone.
Since progesterone inhibits FSH & LH, why is oestrogen needed? I mean isn't that ironic? Oestrogen stimulates LH so...why is it needed as well?
xmpj.Tx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe it’s to do with their roles in maintanence of the uterus lining since only giving progesterone would mean it maintaining a lining which never grew ?? Also fairly certain oestrogen is needed for other things besides menstruation so maybe it’s to do with keeping oestrogen levels up as well as egg release inhibition?? Not too sure, best guess with rev guide in hand , sorry if it’s confusing /wrong
liaente
Rep:
?
It's alright, I admire your help I usually don't get replies for these kinds of questions.
(Original post by xY.mpj.Tx)
Maybe it’s to do with their roles in maintanence of the uterus lining since only giving progesterone would mean it maintaining a lining which never grew ?? Also fairly certain oestrogen is needed for other things besides menstruation so maybe it’s to do with keeping oestrogen levels up as well as egg release inhibition?? Not too sure, best guess with rev guide in hand , sorry if it’s confusing /wrong
GDO10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oestrogen inhibits FSH production, meaning the egg cannot develop for egg release
liaente
Rep:
?
Ahaaa, that makes more sense. It stimulates LH but there's no egg to release as it hasn't matured - thank you
(Original post by GDO10)
Oestrogen inhibits FSH production, meaning the egg cannot develop for egg release
liaente
Rep:
?
I found an answer if anyone one day has this question:

The oral contraceptive, which is known as the pill, contains oestrogen or progesterone or a combination of both hormones. These hormones inhibit the production of FSH, and eggs cannot mature.

Oestrogen at low levels stimulates the release of eggs. However at high doses, oestrogen will inhibit FSH production. After taking the pill for a while, egg development and release will stop completely. If there is no egg available, there can be no baby. This is why contraceptive pills are so effective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads